Anyone come from something much more powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not about lap times, it's about being able to drive at 10/10ths and still have fun. This is the philosophy that the Toyota 86 is based on and I agree with it. The Clio is similar.

its also about doing the fun on the relatively cheap. a clio is going to be much cheaper to run and use on trackdays than a larger turbo powered motor. i think that was the real reason the chap wanted to bin his Focus.

your more likely to push it and enjoy it on a trackday than something that is worth a mint.

i'm no fan of that Toyota 86, its expensive and what does it offer a Clio 200 doesnt other than rear wheel drive?

i'm no fan of that Toyota 86, its expensive and what does it offer a Clio 200 doesnt other than rear wheel drive?

I'm not either, that's why I bought the Clio but I like the philosophy behind it i.e. they did not fit 285/35-18 tyres on the rear because they'll need 500bhp to break traction and when they do you're gonna end up in a tree!

Fitting smaller tyres allows you to reach the edge of traction sooner and therefore have more fun.... it's also more fun replacing a 215-17 tyre than a 285-18. So they're basically telling you to go out, go smoke your tyres and go sideways = FUN

I'm not either, that's why I bought the Clio but I like the philosophy behind it i.e. they did not fit 285/35-18 tyres on the rear because they'll need 500bhp to break traction and when they do you're gonna end up in a tree!

Fitting smaller tyres allows you to reach the edge of traction sooner and therefore have more fun.... it's also more fun replacing a 215-17 tyre than a 285-18. So they're basically telling you to go out, go smoke your tyres and go sideways = FUN

toyota are also saying we could have made it corner faster but dicided not to, so have those naff narrow tyres and lap slower = joke

put it this way, you wont find me sticking cheap narrow chinese tyres on a clio 182 just to have more fun by sliding about all the time.

I think I'm going to go for it to be honest.

If I get bored of the power then I'll do the Meg engine swap. I can't see it being that difficult tbh.

I'm a mechanic by trade, so have access to all of the tools I'd need and I've experience in swaps before so should be ok!

I think I'm going to go for it to be honest.

If I get bored of the power then I'll do the Meg engine swap. I can't see it being that difficult tbh.

I'm a mechanic by trade, so have access to all of the tools I'd need and I've experience in swaps before so should be ok!

or if you get bored of the power you could just buy a megane instead. they are only a bit heavier and have the LSD standard. probably be just like having a Focus RS :001_rolleyes:

A mk1 Focus RS would certainly lose less in value over a couple of years than a newish clio 200. worth thinking about.

I love my Clio NA and Turbo but I do think people get completely carried away with this idea that its a giant killer? On the right road with importantly the right driver, its fun but 150lbft of torque (and some 197's a lot less) isn't killing any giant. Get it going and your travelling quickly is all about the chassis carrying the speed into the corners. The Clio needs long open roads to get up there, great for Sunday spirited driving but put a few cars in front of you and your haven't got the torque to play safely. I got tired of driving it like I stole it to get anywhere and felt at times like an idiot or that I was trying too hard even when I wasn't.

As a toy and NA....'second to none' but as a daily, if I hadn't had turbo'd it, might have sold it. Fuel costs are a joke and price for new parts are scandalous. Smiles and def miles but a car Renault would never have built again, might be controversial but its too much of a one trick pony....but in fairness it does it really, really well and how it carries speed into corners is a work of art....

Last edited:
My friend has always been a turbo lover, he had a 300+ bhp mk4 golf GTI, he has now happily owned a 182 for two years when he usually changed cars every 6 months. Someone scraped his bumper on his 182 and was given a mk6 golf GTI as a courtesy car and again fancied some boost so started looking for one to own. However when he got his 182 back he was amazed by how rewarding and good to drive the Clio is compared to boring boost?

As always, it depends what you personally want from a car. I want something I enjoy to drive not only in a straight line.

Ps. 200 is faster in a straight line than a standard mk6 golf GTI.

Previous car was a 250/265 FIAT Coupe 16VT with a Diff' and a fair few other goodies.

Absolute animal in a straight line, torque was fantastic. But, it was nowhere near as fun or involving to drive as the Clio.

Previous car was a 250/265 FIAT Coupe 16VT with a Diff' and a fair few other goodies.

Absolute animal in a straight line, torque was fantastic. But, it was nowhere near as fun or involving to drive as the Clio.

CLIO 197/200 fun and involving to drive. Absolutely spot on. NA makes you feel like your a driving God....Just a times wished you didn't have to work so bloody hard for it. I guess thats part of the appeal. Maybe I'm just getting old!!!!

Last edited:
It really depends on what you expect, want and like in a car.

I've had a RS Clio since march 2003 in form of a 172, 182, 197 and 200 all one after the other.

Never ever did it look at another car and think hummmmmm

I bought the trophy and could have paid cash for it had I traded the 200 but I just love the drive too much.

4 seats in a family of 5 is an issue at times which when the trophy came along at the price it was offered to me at I couldn't turn it down.

If I want to drive quick without effort and have a relaxing drive then the meg is out every time.

If I want to feel like a get away driver in in a chase film the the Clio is the way to go.

Pulling out in the meg you just put your foot down (hitting ESP to engage extreme mode if it's tight) and its done.

In the Clio it's a thought process, down 2 gears an it's done.

HOWEVER these are passes 99% or cars simply can't do.

It takes the type of car we are driving/talking about.

My last car was a Focus ST. I had spent a good few quid on it too so it was sitting at around 280 horse and 400 torques. Was stupidly fast in a straight line. Still miss its overtaking abilities sometimes but the handling on the Clio is immense. I'm a huge fast Ford fan (only ever owned Fords before the Clio), having driven the Mk1 Focus RS I found it quite twitchy on certain road surfaces, something the Clio doesn't not suffer from. The secret to the Clio is carrying speed through corners. I dont think you'll regret changing.

Last edited:
Kneller, i've not gone from any more powerful cars to my 200 so cant comment on that, but the fun factor i can.

Each day i get up and think erghh work...then remember i get to drive the 200 and that just makes it all ok. Five o'clock comes and so does the other highlight of me day - driving it home.

I dont have a boring moment driving it.

I'm not from Essex and if i had some spare time would take you out - purely because it means i get to go for a little drive.

"I think I'm going to have to see if any local 197/200 owners want to take me out in theirs so I can see how they perform in the real world "

I think existing owners will always big up their own cars and even over exaggerate reality so you have to stand back a bit and be realistic particularly when you are coming down market in performance and thinking about swopping.

other areas may compensate. maybe they wont. i'm going 182 and while it will do exactly what i want, i also know it will have also have a few issues.

I came from a turbos much more powerfull car . . . . i wish i could go back . I now long for something more , the 200 has no torque and is a chore to drive most of the time compared to a powerfull turbo car.

Don't do it !

I drove a much more powerful car before getting my 197... Do I regret changing? Not at all! I'd always wanted a Renault sport since the 172 came out so I'm very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.