200: Another 'where to remap' question

AndyBMX

Paid Member
Hi All,

I've recently picked up a Clio 200 after making a decision to move on from my 182.

The car is mainly being used for a short commute to and from work which is only a couple of miles. Because it's being used in stop/start traffic, it emphasises the dreaded flat spot and how it's nigh on impossible to pull away smoothly through the revs.

I assume that having a proper live map done should be able to eradicate the problem and make it a lot smoother in the lower revs. It's also got a full Akropovic system so if I can get the car mapped to suit that it'll be an added bonus.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a suitable place to get it mapped around the Basingstoke/Hampshire area. I don't mind travelling a little bit but was hoping to find somewhere a bit closer than RS Tuning in Leeds. I know Ktec are localish but I've read many 'mixed reviews' about them so I'll give them a miss.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Reactions: lewishunter98
I'm in the same boat! Based in Southampton so KTEC are closest, EFI and RS tuning seem to be highly recommended for these cars and from what i've heard they are worth the travel, when mapping time comes for me i'll more than likely be going to either of those despite the distance

Reactions: AndyBMX
Noble motorsport in Chesterfield are pretty damn crash hot, rollers are accurate which breaks people’s hearts as well... and a tiny little place in Ripley, Derbyshire called autotech (cleverest bloke Ive ever met when it comes to ecus and tuning... does 90% of his work on racecars so peaky 16v engines are his area of expertise)

Brilliant info guys, thanks for the replies!

Engine Dynamics was the one I was trying to think of as it's not a million miles away. I do like the sound of the Autotech though, I will have a look into them.

Brilliant info guys, thanks for the replies!

Engine Dynamics was the one I was trying to think of as it's not a million miles away. I do like the sound of the Autotech though, I will have a look into them.

It’s one of those situations where being in the trade and speaking to various people you get the idea of who knows their stuff... the guy just stayed on point no matter what I asked him and basically custom breaks into every cars ecu when he gets one for the first time and does a bespoke map for everything he does on the rollers...

He’s just a very switched on guy who may seem a little arrogant if you didn’t know him, but tbh I think it’s to put off idiots who want to ask a million questions and then don’t have owt done, when you can earn enough doing what you know and don’t need other work I guess you don’t need to be the most customer service oriented, but the cars he did for us were all perfect and came back with lots of extra torque and drove very different to when they went in. Basically his customers take him race cars because they know he does know his onions and serves them well

Also if you ever swap to carbs and want them setting up... Pete burgess in alfreton is awesome, old school engine techs who do lots of stuff with carbs and vintage stuff, old vws, lotuses etc incase anyone ever looks at this and needs old school tuning and are also excellent at headwork/skimming/big valves/porting&polishing etc...

Had my 197 mapped at Engine Dynamics - they spent a lot of time dialling in the low down throttle settings to try and flatten out the flat spot. Was night and day compared to the previous map.

I live in Plymouth, Devon, and bar a few mods am looking at a remap too. Ive kinda settled on Engine Dynamics, pretty sure one of the 3 (EFI, ED or RS tuning) have a discount code somewhere in this forum if you become a member.

Thanks for all the replies/advice guys. I think ED will be the place to go as I've heard quite a few good things about them and they're the closest. Frustratingly it may have to wait a while as my O/S ball joint is starting to make an almighty creaking noise so that's going to take a priority! (incoming thread about where best to get that done!)

Thanks for all the replies/advice guys. I think ED will be the place to go as I've heard quite a few good things about them and they're the closest. Frustratingly it may have to wait a while as my O/S ball joint is starting to make an almighty creaking noise so that's going to take a priority! (incoming thread about where best to get that done!)

https://facebook.com/AWMotorworks - let him know I sent you. He used to be the tech at ED - until they decided to focus on parts/mapping.

I know the mapping helps the flat spots but do you see and gains at all being an NA engine ?
The average gains seem to be around 15 bhp (peak power) as I've seen quite a few 197s run around 184 bhp as standard and 199 bhp after a remap. Mind you that is on cars with an exhaust and decat.

Reactions: kmxgoon and craigy3
My friend has had his done at rs tunning very good but I found it very expensive £480ish which I think is alot , unless that is the going rate now

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk