Albi Blue 200 >> BMW E46 Track Car

Ordered myself a new diff. Didn't last long not touching it after Snetterton.

53842163285_0a9b11f8b7_z.jpg

Decided it was the end of the road for the quaife, it's been a great diff in the car which I've ran with a 3.38 and a 3.73 ratio. But I am finding the limit of it more and more with the car this past year.

53840825742_ececed583b_z.jpg

Removed the old diff with the 3.73 ratio and decided to sell it as a complete built unit, already sold and gone to a new home! It didn't make sense to strip down a perfectly working diff to make the new one.
53842163445_e73acd87d3_z.jpg

Bought another 3.38 ratio diff from an auto to use as a donor
53842163050_4df526f539_z.jpg

Started with disassembly of the donor, can confirm old diff oil still stinks. Ripped it open on an old towel and thrown them straight in the bin
53841986563_ca04b720b7_z.jpg

Obviously I couldn't leave the casing in the rusty old state so gave it a good jet wash, degrease and a wipe down with some thinners before giving it a coat of paint
53842163410_394f6ce11b_z.jpg

Put all the parts through the parts washer and laid everything out ready for building.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53841986548_55ee776f6c_z.jpg[img]

Bearings and crown wheel fitted to the diff, getting some more use out of the press I bought many years ago on a bit on a bit of a whim, turns out I use it all the time.
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53840874557_2c79f8f89b_z.jpg

Started with setting up the bearings and the pinion drag and then set about putting the diff in the casing with the bearing on.
Got loads of photos but will keep the post short rather than a how to. In total about 6-7 hours worth of building, due to the size of the diff unit it doesn't fit inside the diff casing in one piece, so every time you want to take it out to adjust the shims you have to split the diff in two.

53840881692_8756248f8c_z.jpg

Managed to get the bearing clearance to a spec I was happy with as well as getting the backlash to 0.1mm. Overall everything has gone together with the provided shims which come with the Kaaz diff but it's right on the tight end of the spec
53840825862_d6d841c68e_z.jpg

53842163355_66d81ab99d_z.jpg

All reassembled with new seals. I have built this one with a 3.38 final drive and while the diff was apart to fit it inside the casing I have dropped the lock down to 65% as per the Kaaz Manual which they refer to as the "Medium Hard Setup"
53842163385_9755a48cdd_z.jpg

Back in the car it goes
53840825422_56b56db89b_z.jpg

Bought a set of replacement discs for the rear while I was working on the rear end as well as a replacement ARB bracket, somehow managed to loose a bracket at Snetterton, I think I've forgot to torque the bolt up for the bracket when messing with fitting and removing the rear ARB and the bracket has left the chat
53841986098_b11f857de5_z.jpg

Final job for the weekend was adjusting the splitter mounts, with the new bumper the splitter needed raising 15mm to bring it up snug under the bumper, adjusted the brackets and refitted.
Note- That isn't the placement for the reg plate... Just popped it on there for today as I didn't want to mark the new bumper

53842162885_29dc25a553_z.jpg

Been a big job but it will hopefully be worth it, we'll see on the next track day!

So did the decision to move on from the Quaife come around the same time that you started running slicks?

Not from the slicks.
It’s something I’ve been putting a bandaid on for a year or two.
Unless the rear of the car is pretty flat coming out of corners with both wheels on the floor the quaife tends to slip the inside wheel still.

I’ve made improvements to keep the inside wheel on the ground.
Full rose jointed/uniball and solid mounted rear end
Running without ARB
Stiffer arb.
Experimented with spring rates
But still will never be as good as a plated diff but back in 2018 there wasn’t the choice of diffs and all the technical information which goes with it.
Interestingly this Kaaz diff isn’t actually listed as fitting my car and ratio anyway but did the research to check before buying.

The second corner at Snetterton is a perfect example of this.
I just put the inside right wheel onto the raised bit of the kerb and loose all drive coming out of the corner. I have to lift and wait for it to grip and then apply power again .

I went from the standard E46 M3 viscous diff to a plated drexler and the difference was night and day. I imagine this will be the same type of change. I don’t get any of that spinning up that you experience in your video when sending it over curbs etc

Reactions: tombate911
I went from the standard E46 M3 viscous diff to a plated drexler and the difference was night and day. I imagine this will be the same type of change. I don’t get any of that spinning up that you experience in your video when sending it over curbs etc

Hopefully it’s worth it, lot of hours gone into putting this one together. I used to have a gripper in my clio box and it was fantastic. Driven a mini recently with a gripper and it just reminded me how good they are and the consistency every single time.

It’s gonna be an absolute savage with a proper diff

Hopefully! Just want to be able to get on the throttle through the corner without hanging to lift. RWD is amazing for corner exit but this should make a world of difference!

I’m also hoping by going back to a 3.38 final drive I can use the Rev range a little more. Peak torque hits about 4k and can Rev it to 7k at the moment and through that whole area it pulls really well. Hoping I can use less gears and stay on the throttle more. Lots of time I’m changing up to 5th for a few seconds to drop back down.

Will see if it’s any different. Will have to use second a little more I’d imagine for slower hairpins.
Going back to EFI tuning in August for a map check so will see if we can widen the power area a little more too.

Reactions: av4625
Summer Update.
Not as many updates as there used to be but will try and keep it updated when I can.
After finishing putting the car back together after stripping the rear end and fitting the new diff I started to do some prep for some dyno time.
Noticed the swirl pot pressure was playing up again so put a proper APS fuel put in the fuel pump holder and chucked this back into the tank. Way overkill for the needs of the engine as it's only filling the swirl pot but I I was given a brand new one and bought myself another one so I've got a spare in the track day box.

53962506602_b0543033f0_z.jpg

Spent a few weeks messing around with a the V3 firmware for the ECU Master black which will be released at some point in the not too distant future. Got the car running an a fresh map, transferred everything over to the new software, found a lot of bugs and suggestions which have quickly been sorted by ECU master at this point.

Took the car down to EFI tuning to get Chris just to run through a few things mainly checking the VE table as the fuel model is different in the new ECU software

Have to do I am really happy with how the front end of the car looks now it's be freshened up with new bumper and some paint
53963854220_83e6707471_z.jpg

Since I was on the dyno I have set up the Exhaust Cam as it is fully variable on the M54. From previous mapping sessions and experimentations on the OEM ECU I know these engines do pick up some torque in the mid range when retarding the exhaust cam.
First job was to set up the PID for the Vanos controls for both Inlet and Exhaust.
Work through the VE table to some full load power runs.
Do a quick test on the cam angles just to make sure what I had put in the ECU was most efficient.

Few hours of start stop running and ironing out a few bugs with the V3 software I was really happy to see the engine making
267ftlbs and 271bhp.
but with a good chunk of additional torque in the mid range. Right where I'm going to need it with the new differential as I've moved from a 3.73 back to a 3.38 final drive
I was also happy to see it make the same power it made when the engine was first built!
53962506352_b201c0146b_z.jpg

New laser cut design for the mounts for the wing
53963725544_f4d3798b52_z.jpg

53963396991_b7837ce38b_z.jpg

Still keeping my hands on Clios too. Quite a few friends still are using them that I do track days with. This one had new suspension fitted. I had it in the garage for setting right heights and alignment before Anglesey.

Anglesey Trackday - This was the first track day of the week.
53963854190_c5f1564104_z.jpg

53963396071_a8937041eb_z.jpg

53963853035_4255d839ea_z.jpg

Anglesey Summary
It was a bit of a mixed bag.
Turns out I am still having issues with the Michelin Slicks on the car despite the new geometry, when I get some videos up you'll be able to see the lack of grip on the rear right - Lots of sliding around when loading up that corner even when turning into corners made for some amusingly large drifts!
I used the day to run the car in a few different damper and ARB set ups from full soft to full hard to see how the car felt in different set ups.
The Kaaz differential is amazing! Really impressed - Spent a bit of time in the carpark in the morning doing figure of 8's to bed the diff in followed by an easy session clutching down around corners to let the plates bed in without any load - Following that I was straight into it. The drive out of corners is so much more consistent driving both wheels and the little bit of wheel slip and hop you get with the Quaife is gone!
I wasn't feeling 100% throughout the day either with the usual symptoms of food poisoning so was happy to get around 100 miles in all day after calling myself an early lunch break at 12:00 and having a rest till 1:30.

Cadwell Prep
After Anglesey I drive straight home as we had also booked Cadwell Park for the Wednesday of that week.
First job on the list was to replace the slicks for a new set. I had already planned for this and collected another set of slicks with a different compound which I was more interested to try.

53963854180_dd0b99e8ac_z.jpg

Quick wash of the wheels and an oil change, geometry ajustment and back onto the trailer

53963396896_8d1dcfdb0c_z.jpg

Drove over to Cadwell Park Tuesday evening ready for Wednesday morning...

53963853890_8e4ec4aaae_z.jpg

Cadwell Park

Start of the day didn't go as planned... Sighting laps went off without a hitch but only managed about 5 laps in session one before loosing power steering through through hall bends, quick look at the dash and noticed battery light on... pulled off the circuit at the end of hall bends.
Popped the bonnet for a quick look while waiting for recovery. Aux belt had popped off and the Aux belt tensioner was stuck down at the bottom wedged between the PAS pulley, fan and engine block.

53962672412_27b8991c44_z.jpg

Not the first time I've been pulled back by the tow truck from Hall bends and I'm sure it wont be the last. At least I managed to get off the circuit without causing a red flag

53963646138_e86f88971e_z.jpg

Had a good look at it in the paddock and found the two bolts holding the tensioner on had sheered off causing the tensioner to fall off and down into the PAW pulley and damaged the PAS pulley.
Had to take the oil filter housing off and drill out the snapped bolts.

Damaged PAS Pulley
53963853900_72a06d21e7_z.jpg

Managed to find a replacement PAS pulley in Louth and pick up a new tensioner while it was in pieces and set about building it back up
53963853780_d2e7cb1b89_z.jpg

Managed to get it back together with new parts and some replacement bolts from the spares box and managed two sessions before lunch.
First one to shake the car down and check for leaks or anything else visible.
Followed that up with a good 20-25 minute session before lunch.

53963645523_27ea864562_z.jpg

First session back after lunchtime
[youtube]

Not the cleanest of photos of the E46 but not looking too bad after back to back trackdays in the same week
53980112624_67f4e8f97e_z.jpg

Managed a full afternoon of laps. Car felt fantastic on a different set of Michelin slicks and the Kaaz diff performed brilliantly around Cadwell Park. Finally managing the drive out of Mansfield without slipping the inside wheel. Spent a lot time trying to optimise the car set up but despite all of that it was just a plaster until I fitted a proper plated diff.

53980041503_af40c2ab4c_z.jpg

53978906807_83200c37e1_z.jpg

Good updates as per!

Does your mate with the Cayman have a build thread for it by chance ?
Thanks. Try to keep the updates coming and interesting.

He doesn’t have one for the Porsche but eventually I think some of it will be posted on Instagram.

Reactions: Tarticmonkey

Similar Thread Suggestions