Aftermarket Exhaust - Scorpion

I remember the first time I had mine (resonated) on the motorway and the drone gave me a headache... not pleasant at all. But honestly it seemed to either quieten off with time, or I just got used to it. I drove up to the Scottish highlands from Leeds and it never bothered me or my +1 at all.

Some people however just don't seem to gel with them, full stop. I would have happily stayed with the OEM item, but as it was corroding, the best value for money was an aftermarket.

Reactions: Beany and Johnny 99
I remember the first time I had mine (resonated) on the motorway and the drone gave me a headache... not pleasant at all. But honestly it seemed to either quieten off with time, or I just got used to it.
This was definitely the case with my resonated Cobra system. It was very loud at first. The garage that fitted it said it would quieten down after & few miles & it did. It can still be a bit droney on a long up hill stretch of motorway, but as soon as the road levels out it quietens down again.

Reactions: Jimmy
This was definitely the case with my resonated Cobra system. It was very loud at first. The garage that fitted it said it would quieten down after & few miles & it did. It can still be a bit droney on a long up hill stretch of motorway, but as soon as the road levels out it quietens down again.

I suppose it's the nature of the beast isn't it - there's always going to be those moments when it becomes a bit of (literal) headache, but then there will be the opposite when it sounds the business and puts the biggest smile on your face.

It's a pity that the YouTube videos don't really give a clear enough impression of what they actually sound like 'for real'. I remember @Beany kindly taking me out in his 200 when he had the non-res and this was the best way to hear what they're like (obvs). Definitely worth catching a ride with someone who has one if you're undecided whether it's for you or not.

Reactions: Beany
I suppose it's the nature of the beast isn't it - there's always going to be those moments when it becomes a bit of (literal) headache, but then there will be the opposite when it sounds the business and puts the biggest smile on your face.

It's a pity that the YouTube videos don't really give a clear enough impression of what they actually sound like 'for real'. I remember @Beany kindly taking me out in his 200 when he had the non-res and this was the best way to hear what they're like (obvs). Definitely worth catching a ride with someone who has one if you're undecided whether it's for you or not.
Haha I do miss that non res... but only if it involved short hooning

This reminds me of my Scorpion resonated disaster, with maxing out the db meter app at 99+
Worst thing I ever did to my Mk3, I should have just bought an Akrapovic - absolute work of art.

I'm sure it will suit some people and it also assumes it is not a manufacturing defect, it just strikes me as cheap. This was simply intended as a replacement exhaust to replace the standard on that was falling to bits. My requirement was "not loud".
I know this is my opinion and not everybody's but I think it has turned it into a cheap Chav car.
Anyway I will see what happens in discussions with Scorpion and the fitters. However, if anyone has proper good condition standard system I am pretty sure I will be open to a swap soon.

This reminds me of my Scorpion resonated disaster, with maxing out the db meter app at 99+
Worst thing I ever did to my Mk3, I should have just bought an Akrapovic - absolute work of art.
I can see why you think this Micah, but I'm not convinced you gave it time for the exhaust to settle down. My Cobra definitely quietened down after 500-1000 miles. Akra sounds ideal in theory but I dismissed it as strictly speaking removal of a cat is illegal & I took the view that a sports cat gave the MOT guy something to see! I know folk pass emission test with just the pre cat in the manifold. I'd rather play it safe with a sports cat. Obviously Akra do a system that keeps the original cat, but very few folk get that & bhp gains ate minimal.

You were exactly who I had in mind when I said some people just don't gel with them! It is a massive thing to do a car because of the change in sound it obviously makes. And if you don't like it, it has the potential to ruin the whole experience.

It's a pity you feel so strongly about yours @NickD and I really hope you get it sorted. I think if you were to offer up a swap to someone with a good condition OEM unit, you'll have your hand snapped off.

Does the Akrapovic drone during normal driving?? I have the resonated Scorpion on my 197 which drones more than I like. I recently had the centre resonator cut out and replaced with a larger Jetex 5" diameter round silencer. This has made a slight improvement but still not as much as I would like. The Scorpion exhaust sounds great when you are 'on it' but in an ideal world I want the exhaust almost silent when I'm driving normally, (which I know is a lot to ask of any exhaust). NVH is a very personal thing, (I am 44 years old and quite NVH sensitive), but I know there are many very happy owners of the Scorpion exhaust. I think however I'm either going to have to buy a new standard exhaust or try the Akrapovic. What I don't want to do is pay £1k for the Akra and find that also drones more than I'd like! (I don't mind a louder exhaust than standard, my other car, Cayman GTS, is very loud, what I don't like is resonance/drone)!

Does the Akrapovic drone during normal driving?? I have the resonated Scorpion on my 197 which drones more than I like. I recently had the centre resonator cut out and replaced with a larger Jetex 5" diameter round silencer. This has made a slight improvement but still not as much as I would like. The Scorpion exhaust sounds great when you are 'on it' but in an ideal world I want the exhaust almost silent when I'm driving normally, (which I know is a lot to ask of any exhaust). NVH is a very personal thing, (I am 44 years old and quite NVH sensitive), but I know there are many very happy owners of the Scorpion exhaust. I think however I'm either going to have to buy a new standard exhaust or try the Akrapovic. What I don't want to do is pay £1k for the Akra and find that also drones more than I'd like! (I don't mind a louder exhaust than standard, my other car, Cayman GTS, is very loud, what I don't like is resonance/drone)!

you can normally get hold of a standard exhaust for free on FB as they’re not really worth anything..
afew people complain the akra is too loud and some say it’s too quiet!
Has it got a standard manifold ?

you say you have a standard system- before changing anything why not remove your center silencer for £50 and see how you get along.

i did this and its one of the best mods i have done, so in love with the sound i get now from my car.

you can normally get hold of a standard exhaust for free on FB as they’re not really worth anything..
afew people complain the akra is too loud and some say it’s too quiet!
Has it got a standard manifold ?
Yup standard manifold, (although maybe that isn't in great condition either?) When I bought the car it had standard exhaust but centre silencer delete which gave a flat spot and also did not sound great so soon after buying it I fitted the cat back resonated Scorpion. In hindsight I should have just added a new centre silencer to the standard exhaust. I like the idea of Akrapovic, I don't mind some more 'volume' especially when driving hard, I just want more refinement when driving normally. (I know a Renault Clio rs is not exactly built for refinement but it's used as my 'fun' daily so would like minimal/zero drone if possible).

Reactions: Beany
After a few 'Akrapovic' searches on this forum I think that may also drone more than I'd like so I have just bought a used standard one off ebay that looks almost brand new! I think as its used as a daily I just want minimal noise. My other 'fun' car has a sports exhaust which is very loud but sounds awesome for when I want to drive for fun/road trips etc. So I will soon have for sale a 4 month old 197 Scorpion resonated exhaust (with a larger centre silencer) which definatley sounds better than the one in the original posters NickD's videos :anguished:

I don’t think the Akra drones usually, if you’re doing a steady 70 in 6th and then have to climb a steep hill it can drone a bit then but other than that if you keep the revs down you can barely hear it.

Whereabout are you, if you’re nearby I don’t mind letting you hear mine in person?

Funnily enough, my ktec resonated was too much for me

But then since going out in a friend's car with an oreca I really wanted one (Car isn't driven daily anymore)

So I switched, and honestly the oreca is so much more bareable than the ktec was. I can actually drive it quietly. But then when I do want to be loud it screams. The ktec used to make noise constantly, just droning away. I hated it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk