Aftermarket Exhaust - Scorpion

Hi All,

No doubt, Exhausts have likely been discussed more times than you you could possibly count; I apologies in advanced. I've got a standard system on mine and looking for the extra noise!

Scorpion appear to be pretty well rated and the way to go, according to their official website they sell the following:
  • Non Resonated: £436.72
  • Resonated: £483.07
  • Decat: £77.25

In previous posts, there was mention of purchasing the system and decat for under £400 with group discount? Is this still an option?

Finally, is the 'decat' MOT friendly? I presume this just removes the 'pre-cat'.

Stuck as to what setup to go for and any pennies I can save would help torwards fuel costs once it's fitted! :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Evo

Reactions: Beany
The decat keeps the pre-cat in the manifold & loses the other cat. For a good price try going through Dave Johnson on the RS197/200 Facebook group as he gets members a discount. People seem to get through the MOT ok.

Reactions: EvoClio
The decat keeps the pre-cat in the manifold & loses the other cat. For a good price try going through Dave Johnson on the RS197/200 Facebook group as he gets members a discount. People seem to get through the MOT ok.

As @Johnny 99 has kindly pointed out it loses the main cat and your left with the pre cat in the manifold..

I have this set up on mine and it will pass an mot and emissions.

Thanks for the info Johnny. I'll try and contact Dave - thanks again.

As @Johnny 99 has kindly pointed out it loses the main cat and your left with the pre cat in the manifold..

I have this set up on mine and it will pass an mot and emissions.

Thanks for the input Beany. I think decat is the way to go as I'm guessed it adds the extra pops and noise. The big question is.. resonated or non-res.

What are you running?

Thanks for the input Beany. I think decat is the way to go as I'm guessed it adds the extra pops and noise. The big question is.. resonated or non-res.

What are you running?

I did run non-res however in my ageing state and the car was a daily the motorway drone took its tole so I swapped it for a resonated section.

I do have a the non res section which is swayed to put back on

I did run non-res however in my ageing state and the car was a daily the motorway drone took its tole so I swapped it for a resonated section.

I do have a the non res section which is swayed to put back on
How do you find the resonated one?
I have literally, Monday, had one fitted and it just seems anti social to me and at 3.5K the noise in the cabin is horrible. As those revs correspond to 70, I'm not impressed.

How do you find the resonated one?
I have literally, Monday, had one fitted and it just seems anti social to me and at 3.5K the noise in the cabin is horrible. As those revs correspond to 70, I'm not impressed.
Perfect... granted it’s not quiet but a lot quieter than a non res..

3.1k 6th at 70mph is tolerable

Perfect... granted it’s not quiet but a lot quieter than a non res..

3.1k 6th at 70mph is tolerable
I am hoping to find they have actually supplied the non resonated one by mistake, this one is horrible, it will drown the radio at 3.5K revs. it actually feels like pressure in the car or certainly on my ears and is just plain wrong. It is noisy at any revs and certainly not an enjoyable noise. I cannot see why anyone would find it enjoyable. I have done 3 hour endurance races in quieter cars that literally have no interior trim and 105 static noise limits.

I am hoping to find they have actually supplied the non resonated one by mistake, this one is horrible, it will drown the radio at 3.5K revs. it actually feels like pressure in the car or certainly on my ears and is just plain wrong. It is noisy at any revs and certainly not an enjoyable noise. I cannot see why anyone would find it enjoyable. I have done 3 hour endurance races in quieter cars that literally have no interior trim and 105 static noise limits.

If you're able to check under the car anytime soon, the non resonated doesn't have a silencer in the centre pipe. If you check Scorpions website and compare the two system, it's easy to spot. Out of curiosity, are you running the decat too?

I'm looking to go down the route of resonated (usually resonated is a little quiet for me) but with the decat pipe; it should but just about right (I hope!).

Yeah got to be non res for that to happen

Been down this route of getting this exhaust, but then when i watch videos on youtube of the sound (Resonated) it puts me off abit as some of the videos it sounds ok then some just sound loud... but the videos don't say if its been de-catted or not so i wouldn't know for sure.... would love to hear the Resonated system from inside

might just bite the bullet and just go for it and sell it on if not to my liking

I had a cat back resonated scorpion and absolutely loved it. Perfect balance of on it loudness and low down burble without being obtrusive

I had a cat back resonated scorpion and absolutely loved it. Perfect balance of on it loudness and low down burble without being obtrusive

Thanks for the info! Resonated is probably the way to go - do you have an aftermarket manifold too?

Been down this route of getting this exhaust, but then when i watch videos on youtube of the sound (Resonated) it puts me off abit as some of the videos it sounds ok then some just sound loud... but the videos don't say if its been de-catted or not so i wouldn't know for sure.... would love to hear the Resonated system from inside

might just bite the bullet and just go for it and sell it on if not to my liking

Only one way to find out, I guess!?

i find that my resonated ktec is the same, very loud and droney. Annoying really as i went for a resonated system for a reason but is what it is i guess! Swapping it out anyway.

My resonated scorpion drones on the motorway, it's fine otherwise. Both cats still in place on mine.

These are not great as it does not really pick up the intensity of noise at all, in fact it sort of makes it seem OK. However this is 1/3 to maybe 1/2 throttle and changing up at 4K
The phone is on the passenger seat and so the radio speaker is quite close making it seem louder (or quieter) than it is at ear level. I set the sound level to what I thought normal conversation level was. In the first one at 22 seconds and then 33 to 38 gives a hint of just how droney and raspy this sounds.
The second one is longer and includes a run down from higer revs down a hill. It sounds like being next to a rolling road on rundown, but that the noise in inside the car.
I can understand that this works down McDonalds or for 5 minutes to go "look how fast I am" but as an exhaust on an everyday car it is, in my view, horrible. I feel it has turned the car from something that was the car I wanted to drive despite the sad fuel economy into something I now want to leave to other cars, it has taken the enjoyment away.

@NickD mine doesn't really sound as crisp/raspy like in your 2nd video there - definitely the same tone but the volume seems much quieter in my car. On the motorway I have to have the radio up quite loud as the drone drowns out some softer voices.