Advice please..Dodgy Tyres..maybe

You guys crack me up, it's a small French hatch, not a Lamborghini!

I've had one of those BCT S800 tyres on the front of mine since I bought it 10k ago. They are fine. Yes, not as good as some of the £100 plus tyres, but in no way are they dangerous!

The funniest comment I've seen on this site so far. You bought a hot hatch but prefer it to handle like a nissan micra. You wasted your money buying an RS

When i was looking for my clio i looked at 15 cars and i bet nearly half of those (all dealers) had fitted a pair of new tyres on the front and using the fact as a selling point but all were of a cheap/economy brand.

In all cases it put me off, if i went to buy a car from a private buyer and they'd done the same i'd be wondering what else they'd scrimped on.

These cars have incredible grip and it's one of the great things about them, why would you risk that by fitting cheap tyres, beyond me.

It's just the garage spending as little as possible to get bigger profit margins.

When i was looking for my clio i looked at 15 cars and i bet nearly half of those (all dealers) had fitted a pair of new tyres on the front and using the fact as a selling point but all were of a cheap/economy brand.

In all cases it put me off, if i went to buy a car from a private buyer and they'd done the same i'd be wondering what else they'd scrimped on.

This exactly. I walked away from cars for this exact reason. Its something I look to for an indication as to how the car has been kept.

The funniest comment I've seen on this site so far. You bought a hot hatch but prefer it to handle like a nissan micra. You wasted your money buying an RS

How has this turned into a slag Chris off match?

All I have said is that these tyres the op has aren't dangerous. No, they won't perform as good as the best brands, but THEY AREN'T DANGEROUS!

That is all I am trying to get across. The op asked about the tyres and I have commented that they perform fine.

I can afford better tyres, however I don't like wasting money so have chosen to keep them on the car until they are in need of being replaced.

They would be dangerous if you tried to drive it like renault designed it to.

If your going to fit Chinese tyres fit them in pairs and drive accordingly. Miss matched across an axel is bad practise because of the handling/grip imbalance it promotes. Its indefensible that a main dealer sanctions such a practise.

If your going to fit Chinese tyres fit them in pairs and drive accordingly. Miss matched across an axel is bad practise because of the handling/grip imbalance it promotes. Its indefensible that a main dealer sanctions such a practise.

I think you need to re-read the thread mate. Nobody said a main dealer had put mis matched tyres on an axel. They put a pair on.

They would be dangerous if you tried to drive it like renault designed it to.

Why's that?

I'm with Chris here...all they would give is lower grip. As long as you drive within the grip thresholds you have no problem and there's certainly no danger.

I'm sure Renault don't encourage driving completely beyond the grip limits of your car...unless on a track that is.

Not to be an arse, but it did read as if you only had one on the front...

Huh? I'm confused!

My post above is aimed at stephengreen as he said a main dealer shouldn't be fitting odd tyres, they haven't. I believe he was referring to the original posters situation.

Yes, I have odd tyres, however that has nothing to do with a main dealer. I think people are confusing me with the op.

I just wanted to join in the Anti-Chris game!!! :smiley: :thumbup: :smiley:

Last edited:
Huh? I'm confused!

My post above is aimed at stephengreen as he said a main dealer shouldn't be fitting odd tyres, they haven't. I believe he was referring to the original posters situation.

Yes, I have odd tyres, however that has nothing to do with a main dealer. I think people are confusing me with the op.
Well there's no confusion now, he's got a pair of Chinese tyres on one Axel through a dealer, you've got an odd Chinese on one Axel through choice. :whatever:

Wtf have I done to deserve that emoticon? This forum is worse that cliosport sometimes!

Just think of all the kittens you might kill with your mismatched tyres!

I don't really see the issue, except you don't drive it hard enough :tongue_smilie:

Just kidding, as long as they're legal and it has enough grip for you ignore everyone else!