200 Vs 197

If i can blow the doors off an R26.R on Nos i wont have any problem with your van lol, you'll need more than a slightly lower gear ratio and marginally better low down torque :tongueout:

Standard bas vegas boy having to use laughing gas :tongueout:inky: :rofl:

8)

Van FTW

I'm looking to arrange a meet soon when we have abit more interest, where in Essex are you mate?

Look on south east area section for meet info and whats going on :smile:

I'm looking to arrange a meet soon when we have abit more interest, where in Essex are you mate?

Look on south east area section for meet info and whats going on :smile:

Just up the A12 Matey

Ill keep an eye out for a meet but there must be Nandos involved :jump1:

Think the front of the 197 is better looking than the 200 imo. I like the yellow dials on the 200 tho,

All I know is I never really liked to way the 197 drove.
It may only be little tweaks but IMO they add up to alot!!

I'm looking at buying a Renault Clio, but I can't decide whether to choose a second hand R27 in white, or a demo model Black 200 trophee (the one with keyless and recaro's as std)

R27 Here
200 Trophee Here

They both seem to be in good condition and haven't seen a race track which is always a plus.

So your first hand experience would recommend?

Firstly...I didn't realise cars were so much more expensive in OZ, that got something to do with import duty being higher on them?

I'd take both out for a drive and see which you feel you prefer, after all its going to be you that is driving it, no one else!

Personally I'd say the 197 as I have a white cup myself, but the mileage isn't high at all to say it will be approaching 2 years old soon! Keep us posted though!

Ok thanks for the input! Much appreciated! I've yet to drive the R27, but on suburban roads I fear I won't be able to pick the difference.

Yeah Renault's are a very unique and uncommon here so the market is small. Apart from the Clio and the Megane 250, if you don't mind me saying, the renault range is horrid.

so that is +1 to the R27

I first had a try of a 197 (no cup pack) when I had a 172 Cup and did not like it. I thought the steering was too light, it felt slow and uninvolving to drive.*I did not want one, at all!
I first tried a 200(cup packed)*when I owned a 182 Trophy and loved the steering and turn in and although it felt a bit slower I could feel the improvement to the engine (vs 182 not 197) loads of low down grunt and rev harder a longer too. I liked it and sort of wanted one but I had a mint*very low mile 182 Trophy which I was very happy with so was not really bothered about one.
Obviously I did end up buying one but it was as much down to the fact my Trophy needed £1500 spending on it as it was about really wanting to change.
So to some up my feeling about 197 vs 200 well I'm a big RS fan (on my 5th) and never*liked the 197 but I really like the 200.
note I would*not have swapped from a 182 Trophy*to a 200 Cup as IMO the new Cups are nothing like as good as the original 172 Cup, too much lost and not cheap enough compared to the FF. Renault have changed Cup to mean "budget version" rather "drivers version"

However I do quite like R27s especially in LY.

200 + 1!!

but don't count this as a vote, cause i have driven neither, lol. i am basing it on the fact that i've ordered a 200 lol. so a completely biased opinion!! :smile:

I'm looking at buying a Renault Clio, but I can't decide whether to choose a second hand R27 in white, or a demo model Black 200 trophee (the one with keyless and recaro's as std)

R27 Here
200 Trophee Here

They both seem to be in good condition and haven't seen a race track which is always a plus.

So your first hand experience would recommend?
Given the price difference between the two I'd be concerned there was something wrong with the 200.

200 + 1 :smile: (assumes it's OK)

not sure if it's the same in OZ - but the 200 is a 4 seater in the UK (only 2 rear belts) - may or may not be important to you.

Last edited:
Well the 200 is a demo car for $38,990 , and I could order one brand new for ~ $44,000 but I won't be able to negotiate the price. Although I could kill for Alien Green!
I think I may be able to get the price lower on both cars seeing as we are now in 2011, I am expecting the 200 to go no lower than ~$36,500 and the R27 ~$30,000. That's what I will end up offering anyway.
There are other 200's for sale for $33,000 but they are the cars used for promotional events when Kubica and Petrov came here for the Grand Prix, and I am definitely staying away from those ones considering how they chucked it around.

200 = 3 votes
R27 = 2 votes

I like the white R27's appearance more than the black 200, but from what I've read on this forum, the 200 is better... So I had a thought last night, I could get the Black 200 and order the R27 decals for it, the decals I think may match the grey nose, mirrors and diffuser and look very subtle yet effective. Thoughts?

Wow! Just went onto the Renault Uk website and you have so many colours!!
We only have 6, Toro Red - Racing Blue - Black - Mercury - Liquid Yellow - Alien Green! and we don't have the black roof option.

200 = 4 votes
R27 = 2 votes

I fail to believe that 3lbft and 3HP or whatever the difference is, would bother me.

The only thing I wish for off the 200 is the quicker rack.

It's absolutely not enough to sway me into one though. Front end mings, and the back end and dash are a bit halfords for my liking.

I genuinely think they got everything just perfect with the looks of the 197.