200 Vs 197

not much difference from what i've got the interior is a bit smarter on a 200, i would have liked the yellow trimming in my R27. the biggest problem for me personally is why did they make the 200 a four seater? so unless they put the third seat back i'll never upgrade or own a clio sport again.

That's what I was thinking, Lloydy seemed to think differently though and not owning a 200 myself ...... :smile:
I think Lloydy was saying he didn't see the lack of xenons as a backward step for the cup - rather the cup should be fitted with the lightest of everything and strip everything not actually needed out.

not much difference from what i've got the interior is a bit smarter on a 200, i would have liked the yellow trimming in my R27. the biggest problem for me personally is why did they make the 200 a four seater? so unless they put the third seat back i'll never upgrade or own a clio sport again.

I've owned an R27 and a 200 and believe me there are a lot of differences.

The way the 200 drives is far better, the way it looks is not much different.

I've owned an R27 and a 200 and believe me there are a lot of differences.

The way the 200 drives is far better, the way it looks is not much different.

you should know you've had enough Clio's to make an educated appraisal.my judgment has been a couple of test drives with a rather nervous salesmen sat at the side of me.

Stevo out of curiosity have you had the 200 on a track yet or is this based on the road.

perhaps the next gen clio might revert back to 5 seats

I think Lloydy was saying he didn't see the lack of xenons as a backward step for the cup - rather the cup should be fitted with the lightest of everything and strip everything not actually needed out.

ahhh, put it like that and I agree entirely, obviously I read it slightly differently to that :wink:

The 200 is better in my opinion but the cost difference between a good 197 and a new 200 could be as much as 7 grand. Take the interest payments on a loan and that would be over easily 12 grand difference. Best option 2 year old 200 around 12 grand. The 200 wont be around long imo. Facelift clio was a rush job to keep corporate look of current models. If you consider all the other ranges e.g the Megane, completely different car to previous model. Renault was lazy with the latest gen of clio. Pretty much same car, retained most of the body parts including wings and thats why the front looks like an add on and dont fit. Same engine, interior mainly different cloth, small improvement to suspension and gearing in gearbox. The right changes to make it better but not enough imo to justify taking new money off 197 owners??

Next clio will be different but the on going problem is not making it too powerful to impact on Megane RS sales, so expect same power, just maybe delivered in a different way.

Last edited:
Before I bought my 200 (arriving in March!) I looked around for ages for one 2nd hand with all the toys I wanted (Recaros, USB, FF CUP etc). Couldn't find one under £15k and ended up paying about £18k for a spanking new '11' plate with just about every option ticked.

On 0% finance from Renault, it made very little financial difference from buying that £15k 2nd hand car (from a trader on finance).

Can't say I've driven a 197, but the key factor for me to buy a new car was the 3yr warranty and the warm fuzzy feeling of owning my first spanking new car.

I'm still stupendously pant-wettingly excited about it arriving, which is ridiclous for a 33yr old guy :smiley:

I guess each car has it's own merits, if you're not bothered about warranty or the extra bits the 200 offers then a 197 is a superb option.

Rich

Fair comment Rich....your right, there nothing like picking up your first new car. For me the 200 is the better option if you can afford one. Its better because it should be, thats how models evolve.

Models should evolve yes, but not always the case IMO.

In terms of fun I still don't think Renault have beaten the 182 Trophy.

The 200 is better in my opinion but the cost difference between a good 197 and a new 200 could be as much as 7 grand. Take the interest payments on a loan and that would be over easily 12 grand difference. Best option 2 year old 200 around 12 grand. The 200 wont be around long imo. Facelift clio was a rush job to keep corporate look of current models. If you consider all the other ranges e.g the Megane, completely different car to previous model. Renault was lazy with the latest gen of clio. Pretty much same car, retained most of the body parts including wings and thats why the front looks like an add on and dont fit. Same engine, interior mainly different cloth, small improvement to suspension and gearing in gearbox. The right changes to make it better but not enough imo to justify taking new money off 197 owners??

Next clio will be different but the on going problem is not making it too powerful to impact on Megane RS sales, so expect same power, just maybe delivered in a different way.

Renault have always face lifted the Clio and Megane and it has always worked well to improve the current model. The Megane always gets the latest design which then later follow on with the Clio.

The next Clio will still be N/A 2ltr but will be made with lighter and stronger materials (like the new Megane is). It will probably be even more expensive (like the new Megane is) but will improve economy and emissions.

you should know you've had enough Clio's to make an educated appraisal.my judgment has been a couple of test drives with a rather nervous salesmen sat at the side of me.

Stevo out of curiosity have you had the 200 on a track yet or is this based on the road.

perhaps the next gen clio might revert back to 5 seats

I have driven over 250,000 road miles in a Clio 172 Sport, 172 Cup, R27 and 200.

I've never drive them on a track but have pushed all of these cars on B roads and IMO the 200 is much better than any other previous models.