200 Vs 197

When you put it that way it's different. I guess it is an individual choice.

For me the 200 had some very good deals plus 3 yrs warranty made it nearly the same cost as a 197.

I've had both. A stunning Nimbus R27 and a stunning cupped FF GW200 with speedlines recaros etc...

I said it in January last year...the 200 has improvements in many areas. Collectively they make it a much better car.

As for the looks of the 200. The majority of people that seem to not like it are those in the Clio community that don't own one -sorry if that upsets anyone

Around town my 200 gets so much attention. Friends post on my facebook "OMG your whip is gorgeous", "sexy car". I've asked loads of friends about the front because of the neglect it gets on some of the forums and the answer is always "I love the front".

The front is a different design. The 197 looks dated now. It has the same grill of the old 1999 172 ph2 and always looked a bit girly (but is still stunning so no offence to it cause I had 172 and a 197). The 200 looks mean and the way the grill shines and blends with the shiny paintwork just makes it look simplistic and more modern.

I would never go back to a 197 now, both for looks and drivability.

Both great cars and what a superb decision to have to make.

The r27 looks like a great example and in the uk at least I can see it perhaps being a future classic like the williams 1. Overall I think it's better value for money.

The 200's looks certainly devide opinion but it is the better car due to the steering and gearbox revisions.

Whatever your choice welcome to renaultsports, neither choice will disappoint.

For me the 200 had some very good deals plus 3 yrs warranty made it nearly the same cost as a 197.

Absolutely - if i had of realised how cheap i could have bought a 200 cup for last year i would have gone the same route!

The majority of people that seem to not like it are those in the Clio community that don't own one -sorry if that upsets anyone

I would never go back to a 197 now, both for looks and drivability.

I can totally understand that, but you are going to prefer the looks of the 200 as your the one who owns one, i am sure i would be exactly the same. I like both the 197 and the 200. No doubt about the fact the 200 drives better, so many people and the press all agree :thumbup:

Both great cars and what a superb decision to have to make.

Whatever your choice welcome to renaultsports, neither choice will disappoint.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

To be honest I base my judgement on looks on what people say to me when I pull up in petrol stations drive around town. Based on glaring looks and comments I'm really confident it's a stunning looking car :smile:

Xenon's is a big fail but I upgraded to 8k HID's in 200 projectors :smile:

I own a ly r27 and i always get people lookig and askin about the car. I would own a 200 but by the time i add aircon recaros it works out too expencive for such litle difrence

Ok, so after some long thinking and reading I've decided to go for a 200 because no matter how much of a bargain I can get a R27 for, I will always be conscious of the fact that the 200 is a little better everywhere and I would rather spend the extra money for piece of mind among other things. GlassJaw summed it up nicely, no matter what decision, neither "Renaultsport will disappoint"

Thanks guys,

my personal opinion...... the 197 and 200 were 'hyped' up rather than 'stepped' up compared to its earlier models!

for a 'drivers' car a 172/182 is everything i wnated my 197 to be, and my old williams was everything i wanted my 197 to be + large grin!!!!

if you wnat a nice sporty driver.... btu with alot of comfort.. id go for the 200, but if you want a toy id go for a 197 purely for the fact if you wnat to play around and buy parts for it it wouldnt be butchering a BRAND new car :smile:

Ok, so after some long thinking and reading I've decided to go for a 200 because no matter how much of a bargain I can get a R27 for, I will always be conscious of the fact that the 200 is a little better everywhere and I would rather spend the extra money for piece of mind among other things. GlassJaw summed it up nicely, no matter what decision, neither "Renaultsport will disappoint"

Thanks guys,

Owning both, I'd say that's a wise decision.

IMO comes down to money (like most things in Life). The 200 is a better car but does the difference in price add up to difference in the cars? Only the buyer can justify that.....For me, I didn't want any finance on a car. When your paying £200+ finance you think very differently about it. You spend half the time worrying about it losing its value....

Depending on the age of the car and the mileage you do plus the deal you get can mean a 200 is cheaper or similar to run.

I genuinely do 6000 miles a year so with my 200 that i will keep for 2 years I will not have to pay for anything other than fuel and tax and depreciation.

If I bought a 56 plate 197 I would have get the cambelt done and possibly tyres and brakes plus if owt breaks that will need paying for too. And also depreciation.

Just something to think about.

One thing that does disappoint about the 200 - wtf no xenons?!!!! Major step backwards?!

:chair:

on the FF yes, on the cup however no.

IMO i'd like to have seen the cup even more stripped out

Still dreaming of a R27R with 200 facelift lol

on the FF yes, on the cup however no.

IMO i'd like to have seen the cup even more stripped out

Still dreaming of a R27R with 200 facelift lol
Agreed. I think the 200 cup really should have been a lot more stripped out. But then again its somewhere near a track car an liveable everyday car. They will prob give us an R27r 200 as the run out car before the new shape clio rs arrives. Be a cheap way for them to sell what 200s they have left, while creating a very very track worthy 200. Would follow normal RS ethos to do so.