197 Second Hand.

I'm going to look at a few second hand Clio 197's tomorrow 07 Reg plates - any hints or tips of things I should be looking out for (rather than just kicking the tyres) ;-)

Also the market seems flooded with Clio's @ 30,000 miles. Anyone know why people seems to sell them on at 30k?

Thanks, Paul.

I'd say: Get a spec in mind before you go looking for one. IE, climate control, recaro's, xenons?

Watch for crunchy gearboxes as well. 07 plate should have had it's cambelt done this year or will be due one this year. Use that to your advantage if it hasn't been done. Circa £500+ to get one.

The prices seem to vary between £5.5k - £7.5K for a clean 07 plate. Silver would be my first choice. I'll be trading in a Clio 1.4 (full body kit, glass room twin exhaust etc) which I've had from new. I'll check out the guide - thanks bud

For £7.5k you should be able to pick up an R27. 197s have come down a lot in recent times.

Cheers - didn't know about the cam belt ;-) The one I'm looking at is 49,000 miles, 197 silver with climate control and 6 CD changer thingy. Looks a pretty clean car - asking £5.5K for it. Is that a good price?

Oh, decide on whether you want a FF, Cup or R27...that'll help narrow the search.

R27 is the ultimate. But i'm biased :wink:

If you do go for that one, you have to take of those hideous pea shooter exhaust trims lol.

Seems a fair price for that car.

Trade wise, it's a good price. You'll probably get a lesser mileage one for the same money private.

Cam belt is the only killer on these. They aren't cheap.

Just a pointer on JD performace- they tried to sell a lad off cliosport an R27 that was Cat D without advertising it as CAT D-
Guy drove 200 miles each way as well

S

Just a pointer on JD performace- they tried to sell a lad off cliosport an R27 that was Cat D without advertising it as CAT D-
Guy drove 200 miles each way as well

S

+ 1 on this. Was goin say be careful with these as they deal with cat d and c cars etc. notice in the add for this Clio in very small writting it is a cat c mate.:eek:

Tbh, I'm not surprised its a cat c. I know the 197s are cheap now but they are that cheap for a 2008. If you can buy of this forum, at least then you know the history.

Last edited:
+ 1 on this. Was goin say be careful with these as they deal with cat d and c cars etc. notice in the add for this Clio in very small writting it is a cat c mate.:eek:

Just seen the ad again-

Pi$$ poor if Im honest - I read the whole ad 3 times & still didnt see CAT C

lol at 6k for that

try 4k