Nicole.R - 01.02.2014 *SOLD*...

That sounds incredible.. In all honestly how much do you think this conversion has cost you? All in? I hear 4k thrown out there. Wanted to see whether that was true?

Hahaha cheers gents!!! :thumbsup:

I must admit I was expecting some WTF comments over the tailpipe to be honest, but it seems like people are seeing the method in the madness. :smile:

I like it, it's not just a differant type for the sake of it as you said it has a purpose.

Legal for on track?

Without getting it db testing I would imagine it's hard to say 100%. Although the turbo will kill a lot of the db's so unlike an NA it shouldn't be insanely loud. Also the 'Dolphin' tip may help a little as most tracks will measure at ~1m away at a 45degree angle; this exhaust will be pointing a lot of the noise towards the ground (in principle).

Given that yours was setting off car alarms 20 metres away whilst you still had the precat in, I'd put my money on you! 8)

A drag race on the other hand... :tongueout:

Cheers for all the comments/feedback, much appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

My phone's been going nuts all day with notifications so I suppose I better try and answer some of these questions hahaha!!!

Eddie, I'm made up wit her!!! As you've probably read, it was a bit of an impromptu decision to go down the FI route. I did have reservations about wether I'd still enjoy her and wether losing that little buzzbox NA engine would detract from the experience or character of the car. It's hard to describe really but she really hasn't lost her character at all, the extra ooomph just enhances everything and the F4RT revs quite high anyway. It did take a while to get used to and you do have to drive the car differently, you feel less like you're wringing her neck everytime you want to go fast but at the same time you don't feel disengaged. It draws you in!!! In terms of the standard of work carried out, I'm very very very pleased. I'll have to try and get some decent photos because I don't think the ones I've got so far really do her or the SC Autos lads justice.

ColWill, it's cost me in the region of £6,000 so far. Note the ''so far'' bit there hahaha!!! That includes everything from the smallest bolt to the hours of labour. But bear in mind that this hasn't been a simple case of just dropping a the engine in. There's a lot of aftermarket parts gone into this which quickly bumps the cost up. There's also things that you don't really think of like coils, belts, plugs, gaskets, sensors and so on and so forth. You could in theory do this conversion for less than £4,000. If you just picked up a standard engine and dropped it in, spent time sourcing used parts and stayed with the 197/200 gearbox (changing to the Megane gearbox means you need to use Megane driveshafts at around £300 per set for new ones) then you'd be able to save a big chunk. The thing to watch for is most engines that you see for sale for £500 or whatever will be a bare engine, so whilst it may look relatively cheap by the time you've picked up even a standard turbo and manifold you're going to have spent another £350. The cheapest way to do it would be to just actually buy a complete Megane, take what you need from it and scrap/break the rest to get some cash back...

MP & Robo, it's hard to judge but as soon as Oulton Park reopen in a few weeks time I'm going to have a ride over and get a test done. She was loud when she was NA with the last iteration of the exhaust but even then she was ''only'' around 93DB or something like that!?! It's a big jump from 93DB to 94DB for example, the algorythm for it is something mad like for every 3DB increase the physical sound level doubles. Also, it's a completely different noise to when she was NA, the tone is very different which makes it difficult to tell if it's louder or not. If it was two NA engines or two FI engines you'd be able to say with some accuracy which was louder but with this I'm not so sure. She should sneak under 105DB, that's all that matters really, I've heard F3000 cars that have to adhere to the same noise restrictions and they are F?CKING loud so I'm not overly worried. And like Rob says, le dolphin will help with that anyway. There's always a bung if all else fails.

Tim, IT'S ONNN!!! We can do a flame off too. Good luck. :tongueout:

Last edited:
Without getting it db testing I would imagine it's hard to say 100%. Although the turbo will kill a lot of the db's so unlike an NA it shouldn't be insanely loud. Also the 'Dolphin' tip may help a little as most tracks will measure at ~1m away at a 45degree angle; this exhaust will be pointing a lot of the noise towards the ground (in principle).

we need like one of those guys that can tell from a video what hp an engine produces that can do the same for db ratings :thumbsup:

MP & Robo, it's hard to judge but as soon as Oulton Park reopen in a few weeks time I'm going to have a ride over and get a test done. She was loud when she was NA with the last iteration of the exhaust but even then she was ''only'' around 93DB or something like that!?! It's a big jump from 93DB to 94DB for example, the algorythm for it is something mad like for every 3DB increase the physical sound level doubles. Also, it's a completely different noise to when she was NA, the tone is very different which makes it difficult to tell if it's louder or not. If it was two NA engines or two FI engines you'd be able to say with some accuracy which was louder but with this I'm not so sure. She should sneak under 105DB, that's all that matters really, I've heard F3000 cars that have to adhere to the same noise restrictions and they are F?CKING loud so I'm not overly worried. And like Rob says, le dolphin will help with that anyway. There's always a bung if all else fails.

fingers crossed for you.

Willis - Nicole.R - 04.01.2014 EXHAUST FINISHED...

Cheers mate, should be alright hopefully but if not then it's an easy enough fix. :smile:

12 January 2014;

Well it'll be a month on Wednesday since she came home, it's gone fast!!! :smiley:

So, how are we getting on? Is she going to be replaced with an Impreza? Are there any niggles or problems and has anything fell off?

I'm made up, in short, can't complain at all. The new tyres have made a big difference and got me feeling more at home and her more like herself again. The new exhaust has added some much needed character back into her soundtrack and the pops, bangs and crackles aren't getting even the slightest bit boring!!! The power and the way it's delivered is brilliant, whilst she's probably the lowest powered FI car on here she's still comfortably quicker than with the NA engine. Still not bored of that extra oomph either. And no, no she isn't going, we've gone through too much now... In terms of niggles and problems, well the only thing that comes to mind is that the coolant level took a while to settle, for the first few weeks she seemed to be losing some (there was a leak which was rectified on her check-up trip back to Ste), but that slowed and now seems to have stopped thankfully. Beyond that, there was a case of ''aliens'' when she told me to ''Check Injection'' but didn't leave me a fault code!?! This happened twice in the space of about half a mile and hasn't happened since (negative battery terminal was found to be slightly loose a few days later, possible cause, who knows, aliens...), there was also the case of one of the foglights trying to kill itself on the M60 and scaring the life out of Ste when he heard the bang but they're coming out soon anyway so it's all good and really she was trying to do us a favour.

She had her first bath of the year yesterday and came up great although she could really do with a machine polish (if the weather holds out it'll be done this week), and now she's gleaming the wheels do look a tad sorry for themselves so the refurb will be getting moved up the to-do list a bit. Well, they'll be done once the ''spring'' starts, no point doing it in winter when they'll only get hammered with salt and sh!te anyway. She's needed a new wing mirror cap for a while (thanks to a dickhead in a Golf GTi) and the front and rear bumpers are also on the to-do list as they've both got little imperfections that want sorting and the rear three windows (optional tinted jobbies) will be getting swapped out for clears or polycarbonates at some point too. The calipers could do with a refurb, which again will be done sooner rather than later hopefully so really by the end of the summer all of the cosmetic bits will be sorted and then it'll be time to crack on with the interior.

She's popping in to see Ste again on Wednesday, to celebrate their one month seperation anniversary and have the following done...

Oil & Filter Change
New AC Pipe & Regassing
Fitment of AndrewJeffs QuickShift
Fitment of Forge Adjustable Actuator & Final Mapping

There's also a wire that Ste isn't happy with and wants to change, it's not something I can even pretend to know about or explain (I DON'T DO WIRES) and to be honest she's running perfectly but somebody is Mr.Anal about things like that and I'm not going to argue with him hahaha!!! Then if I can stop deliberating and just order some ducts and piping then I'll be taking a hole saw to the arch liners and rustling up some brake ducts whilst Ste works his magic on the rollers. Which leads me nicely to THE HORSEPOWERZ!!!... Really the spec' of the parts on the car are probably high enough to exceed the percieved ''safe'' limit for what the standard F4RT internals can handle and the only thing likely to limit the ''all important'' peak figures is the capacity of the injectors. But, in fitting with the rest of the project thus far, things are being done a little differently on this one; 270-280BHP, extra brews for Ste if he can map her right on the money at 275 to satisfy my OCD!!! :thumbsup:

Similar Thread Suggestions