Nicole.R - 01.02.2014 *SOLD*...

Nicole.R - 15.01.2014 *280BHP/310lbFt*...

Well it was hard to tell how much louder she was over the old engine and exhaust setup, thought she might sneak under but it works out at about 10DB extra.

Really she only has to drop 2DB which isn't a lot at all. There's a few different ways of doing it, it's only the static she needs to pass as listening to some of the other cars out on track yesterday (Evora GT3, Ginetta G50, Sierra Cosworth) there is no way she's louder than them under load. I've seen plenty of cars pass the static test but then get pulled for hitting the drive by limit and vice versa cars fail the static but never get a pull on the drive by. It's a strange one because it's not always the volume that kills the test but the tone as well. And those that have heard Nicole in the flesh will tell you that she doesn't really sound like anything else at all... She's a cross between a tractor, a dragster and a WRC monster hahaha!!!

Last edited:
Plans are underway don't worry, if the post is kind this week then I'll have her tested again this weekend. I had a few options in the pipeline already (no pun intended) should this be the case anyway and I've ordered one of them today. It's removable and also adjustable, so if it gets her through the static test then I'll remove it afterwards but can always pop it back in/on should she get pulled on the drive by. It's something a bit different (in keeping with everything else) to the usual "bung" and should have a minimal effect to the airflow unlike most setups. :wink:

with the 197/200 having two tailpipes I am surprised no one has made a dual system with a silenced exit on one side and at the flick of a switch uses the other side that is straight through

Last edited:
Nicole.R - 15.01.2014 *280BHP/310lbFt*...

Plan X is far cheaper than that, cable tie an unconnected tailpipe under the diffuser. Now considering they did originally try and take the reading from a hole that clearly didn't contain a tailpipe, I'm quite confident that that would probably work hahaha!!! :tongueout:

30 January 2014;

PTR Exhausts; Purchased DB Killer/Splitter.

Ok so whilst I'm still not convinced that Nicole is THAT loud (again, thems makes the rules so we must comply...), I've picked up a little trinket from Pete at PTR Exhausts. Pete has been around a long time and has been responsible for a lot of fabrication (both exhaust related and component related) in the big leagues of BSB, WRC etc.. You'd probably know his logo if you saw it.

I'd actually already looked into bungs/baffles before having the exhaust done ''just incase'', however I was hoping one wouldn't be needed. Anyway, the traditional bung/baffle is basically a plate which sits inside your tailpipe and reduces the diameter in an attempt to stifle the sound. Whilst effective, this approach is also quite restrictive. Not what we're about on this project. During my browsing I stumbled on a different way of doing things (again with the different), this was on the PTR website and the approach was to use perforated tubing (like you'd traditionally have inside a performance silencer) to make a bung/baffle out of. The beauty of this is that as it's not a solid ''wall'' of material just blocking the gas flow, it isn't anywhere near as restrictve as the usual bung/baffle and if the theory is to be believed then the combined surface area of the holes is actually greater than the equivalent sized tailpipe!!! It's certainly finished beautifully and it looks nice and aggresive too, just how we like it. I'll get some photos up over the weekend and hopefully be able to have another reading done and report back with a lower static DB level!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
And here's how it looks/works, the simplicity of it is brilliant...

1; Exhaust...

20140201-01_zps3d4bb5f4.jpg

2; DB Killer/Splitter...

20140201-02_zps7e8d1792.jpg

3; Fold in the tabs as desired...

20140201-03_zps0eaec961.jpg

4; Insert into exhaust, note it's not as much of a blockage as a traditional bung/baffle...

20140201-04_zps21b002a4.jpg

5;
And from further away it looks like this, a little industrial perhaps but so long as it gets her under 105DB that's all that matters...

20140201-05_zps9428219e.jpg

Last edited:
It's noticable mate yeah, idle is a little quieter but not loads however when going up through the revs (at standstill) it has taken a lot out of it. It's still loud but the tone is a lot softer so it feels quieter when you're next to it if that makes sense? DB isn't always about the physical volume, tone/frequency can have a big effect. For example there's no way she was louder than some of the cars at Oulton Park the other week but because she makes such an odd noise I think that's what was giving such a high reading.

Similar Thread Suggestions