Melting steering wheel update

Cheers Roy I thought it was cheeky 70 percent when he knew I know you got 75% , I will get some figures for him he must think I'm called Barry bull****e , they never answer what you want directly like a broken record,

Will update this very soon !

mines badly melted down one side but i wouldnt image i would get ne where with renault cardiff

You're f1 owner , do me a Favour !!! For you and me !

Contact Renault uk customer service and log a complaint ask to speak too
Renault UK
My contact details are 08000723372, customer.services@renault.co.uk or text me on this number.
Regards,
Ian Porter
Customer Support Manager

More we get more they will listen ! How many miles has yours done ?

Yes and also have a look around at other complaints , Ie Roy on his second in 18 months ! And add your own feelings in there best to call them if I'm
Honest and speak to him directly , I think there not good enough quality ! Never had a car that's done this ! I'm at war till we get a result we deserve

Early 1990s mercedes leather steering wheel were the best ever made & better quality!

Most of the cars now are abit crap cos it all built quick & cheap or might be made in china. I hear new bmw m3 in 2008 have same problem steering wheel too, I don't think renault is only one!

mines done 42k, so do u want me to log a complaint direct to that email address directed at ian porter?

Don't matter how many miles on the car it's the issue of it melting if enough people complain the more chance you got of getting a new one which you deserve like I said to them I don't expect to pay £15,000 on substandard products that spoil my car

New to the forum, think this is my first ever post and it's to moan!

I have the same problem with the wheel, had the car 6 months and initially it wasn't too bad but is getting worse. It has done 41k miles 56 plate. Will send email off to Ian Porter and hope it helps.

I don't understand why you lot got problem the steering wheel. Mine is over 4 year old, none a things problem or melting & worn. Strange!

Same .. fingers crossed I've been lucky with thus one... Had enough of the 18 month recaro battle tbh

Mitch what's your problem with the recaro ? What's your age of car and millage ?

Just the regular bolster wear after 13k miles . Managed to get ruk to front up 1k in the end and got a leather retrim so all is good now. Currently on 34k 57 plate steering wheel still fine..

The other annoying thing with this is that they don't class the steering wheel as mechanical so even if you have a warranty it's not covered, they class it as an accessory and at £400 just for the wheel (as they don't just sell rim but comes with all the buttons etc.) so it's not cheap to just replace every few years, if it was £100 then ok wouldn't be so bad

I've also just looked at the procedure for removal of wheel, and it just gets better, you need to lock out the airbag ECU before touching it (& that involves centre console removal and cutting up the carpet to get to it), previous car just a case of disconnecting battery then turn on ignition and put lights on etc. to drain system and de-energise it, then 2 torx screws at back of wheel to remove airbag unit.

But they say it has to be done with ignition on and with steering lock off, now I'm wondering if I ignore that and do with lock on it'll result in damaging the steering lock.

Also it has note. warning that the connector short circuits when disconnecting, but I'm hoping that is a design in that it means when airbag removed it cannot be triggered and that when reconnected it is then fine or does it mean once bag removed you need to replace :@

I have a 56 plate 197 and had a melted steering wheel about 18months ago, the car at the time was under warranty and had done about 32k. Took it to Platinum, Bath and got the old 'never seen it before' remark, they took a photo and within 3 days I'd had a new one fitted foc under warranty.
Renault are fully aware of the problem even if the individual garages aren't and at the time of me having my wheel changed loads of peeps on Renaultsport were having the same problem and their wheels changed.

Well RUK are calling back again today this afternoon. As they sent me a txt saying was I happy about the issue getting resolved and well I let them know amongst other things no I wasn't and that when they keep telling us they've never heard of problem is really started to annoy, when people state they managed to get the wheels replaced but when the car is still under warranty, so they must have a record of this.

Spoken again with my contact 'Mel Sharpe, 0800 0723372 and she did say anyone with this wheel problem to contact her as well.

But something that I asked was for Renault to register this as an issue how many people would it require to report the problem and the reply was for it to go back to the French engineer's then this issue would have to be reported not just in the UK but also other countries where the RS has been sold, so I suspect even if every owner in the UK reported this it would still be only a small percentage of global sales :worried:

But that said please report this to the Renault people who's details we've posted up so far, even if you don't think they'd pay for a new wheel at least make them aware.