Yellow

I entered that competition too.

I thought it was worth wasting £5 even though I didn't win.

Liquid yellow is the best colour.

I can't avoid any competition that comes up for a clio or meg. Maybe one day I'll win, luck never seems to prevail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice, thanks!

Fortunately the car is in great condition, some previous owner (presumably the guy that sold to the comp) spent a decent amount in 2019 refreshing suspension/servicing/consumables/etc (like 4-5 trips to an indy!) so i've just inherited someone elses P&J. Hoping to restore it to it's former glory, and then a 'clubsport' spec.

nice, thanks!

Fortunately the car is in great condition, some previous owner (presumably the guy that sold to the comp) spent a decent amount in 2019 refreshing suspension/servicing/consumables/etc (like 4-5 trips to an indy!) so i've just inherited someone elses P&J. Hoping to restore it to it's former glory, and then a 'clubsport' spec.

It did look very nice, expect from those horrid rear lights. So glad you took those out they looked naff.

Happy days with the suspension just had it all sorted on mine, trying to problem solve noises on them is a nightmare so a full refresh is perfect. Sounds like you got a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covid, job changes, new house purchases and some other new cars put a hold on all clio based activity.

2022 .. a new year!

Car has been mostly sat in the garage for 12 months, with periodic use just to keep the oil moving and fuel refreshed. And an unusual amount of car washing given how little it gets used over the last year. I just love the colour!

So.. time to complete the next round of works and get it ship shape.

Just had 4 x Michelin Cup 2 Connects fitted, and the spacers were due to be removed but i had forgotten to buy shorter bolts.

It's now with Two Techs for a full service, gearbox oil, A/C re-gas, check over and fit some new brembo discs, PBS pads, HEL lines, brake fluid, etc. I had planned on doing most of this myself so i could get a sense of the rest of the car's condition and check everything was 100% but work is getting in the way. So... the Two Techs guys seem pretty trusted and dealings with them thus far have been great, i think they seem like the right people to give it a once over. I've asked them to flag any minor detail that may need works and we'll get it sorted.

Once done, alignment and perhaps off to Brands for a shakedown.

The question at the moment is whether to go for a nice clubsport inspired rear cage, some nicer seats and harnesses. the problem is the seats would probably cost half the value of the car!

Has your car got Recaros? They are worth about £1,000. If you are replacing your seats they might pay for themselves.

Has your car got Recaros? They are worth about £1,000. If you are replacing your seats they might pay for themselves.

nah just the standard seats. i actually quite like them.

i was holding out for one with recaros but the combination of a (good condition) liquid yellow cup PLUS recaros was hard to find. i'd been reliably informed the clio recaros are not that great for track use, and any cage/harness would mean they need replacing.

Can’t go wrong with Matt and Terry at Two Techs. Did a lot of my spannering before I found someone as good 30mins nearer.

Two techs were great, can recommend and will use again where i can (a bit of a trek from me across London but worth it for peace of mind). Not sure how familiar they are with the more track/motorsport side of things but will chat with them.

Took the car on it's first trackday, brands hatch indy in some pretty decent weather fortunately. Having not driven the car before i started above the 1:10 mark, and dropped down to 1:00 to 1:02 on most laps, couldn't get under 1:00 but i'm confident that's mostly me. mods should help me cheat my way to 57-58! That said, i still managed to go round the outside of an R8 and also take an R26 R and a KTM XBow (no idea what this guy was doing, but he wasn't using full throttle..). Amusing day.

Discs, PBS pads and lines... well, they're great eh! slamming the anchors on those pads and you certainly know it. Very little noise on the road and solid track performance - no fade at all.

Car performed well, but i think the manifold or flexi is now blowing so that's next to fix. If it's just the flex, i'll do that - if it's the manifold then perhaps opportunity to upgrade to the ktec or similar. No expense spared!

After that - Next jobs:
  • Ordering some decent engine mounts - probably vibra-technics based on recommendations.
  • Pole positions x2 (plus mounts/slides etc)
  • JP half cage (bolt in most likely).
  • harnesses
  • Gaz golds if i can get hold of a set quickly enough, looking at the photos of the day i need some camber..

...Add a rear carpet for tidiness and it should be on it's way to a full clubsport spec. Not that much difference between that and the £200k 911 GT3 RS i was eyebaling at RPM this weekend. right? hah.

I guess a gripper diff and then it caps out before the car starts to get track-only oriented.

Do it.

I am at Brands Hatch tomorrow evening. I went there last year with B14s as pretty much the only performance modification. Tomorrow will be good with Gaz Golds and a Gripper diff.

Have you got some wheels with semi slicks to use on track days?

Do it.

I am at Brands Hatch tomorrow evening. I went there last year with B14s as pretty much the only performance modification. Tomorrow will be good with Gaz Golds and a Gripper diff.

Have you got some wheels with semi slicks to use on track days?

so far just the cup wheels with Cup 2s on, didn’t want to buy the wheels until these tyres die and the suspension is on so i know clearances. I guess oz or teamdynamics, tho i did fancy the autec wizards before the pandemic killed fun.

Went on a bit of a random buying spree to make steps towards 'RS ClubSport' (oem+) spec... so far have ordered:
  • Black external badges all round - front renault (cover, for now), rear renault(cover, for now), rear RS badge (metal) - still need to source black door bullets. Rear RS badge just arrived and it's real nice.
  • Ktec induction kit - i'd normally not bother but it's an induction noisey engine and this might add some throat to it, plus it's not expensive, If any HP gains.. whatever, not needed
  • Ktec rear extended carpet - just to tidy up the back for the clubsport look, don't like it looking half baked
  • ZeroPointOne Front tow hook adaptor, and a nice Sabelt strap - don't like the look of the OEM recovery loop sticking out all the time. The Machine work on the adaptor is lovely, now i want their shifter...
  • Recaro Pole Positions * 2 (plus rails, spacers etc). Grabbing these off a nice chap from his fancy E92.
Next up some gaz golds, JP half cage and probably some track wheels/associated geo. Team Dynamics perhaps? I had wanted the Autec Wizards but TD perhaps more track kudos - maybe can go to 8J with 225 semi slick tyre? assuming this will fit with the gaz golds.

Need to book another track day or two - any forum plans? would be cool to meet some others and learn what i should be doing to my clio...

Last edited:
Vibra Technics ordered for all engine mounts, Gravity (Toyosport) Manifold too.

perhaps this is going to need mapping following manifold and induction kit.

Fitted a dark ice designs gas strut for the bonnet - got bored of faffing with the stay and hitting my head. Nice bit of kit, but fiddly to mount one end despite being relatively straight forward instructions! took me a while to work out how to remove the flanged nut (need a spanner on the underside of it) and then slipping the ball joint together at the headlight end wasn't easy - i think i might have had a slightly duff one, tolerances were very tight.

I've added black badges all round (De-chrome looks cool on the yellow paint!) - and shipped my door bullets off to be sprayed, although i think they're now lost in the post thanks to royal mail..

ordered a jp bolt in cage along with the various recaro seat mounting accessories required, should be able to get cage + buckets in, and hopefully harnesses before next trackday.

thinking schroth 4 point clubman?

Car booked in with two techs again this week - for engine mounts and manifold swap, plus going to replace the A/C compressor as current one is only useful for drawing power from the engine, excited..going to book a trackday for mid may..

Last edited:
Another solid experience with Two Techs - can certainly recommend the guys there - super helpful, friendly and a great attention to detail. They've also coded out the seat airbags.

Quick review on the Vibra Technics engine mounts (based solely on the return trip from two-techs on the M25, some A road and central London driving..):

1. It's certainly an immediate increased feel and feedback. I'm not sure exactly why but the feel through the steering wheel is greatly improved, with the re-trimmed (no padding) alcantara steering wheel honestly it feels not far off my V12 Vantage S AMR (albeit the v12v has less vibration..), so i guess that's pretty high praise.
2. Vibrations are increased (from little to a constant 'some'), but thus far it's easily tolerable - it has made the car feel a bit more track special and involving. I'll be sure to report back after i've done some mileage/a track day to see if that changes.
3. handling is improved, it feels stiffer and more composed. a lot more pointy.

Generally i'm a big fan. I might have gone less severe if it was purely for daily use, but for an eventful fast-road weekend / track car... it seems a no brainer.

Just ordered some Gaz Golds from @R27WTF so super excited about that, otherwise a long wait for the recaro parts and the suspension, then time to start blocking out as many track days as possible. Need to get the thing cleaned up and update with latest photos but it's looking pretty bare without the new carpet and only one seat.

I saw a lovely LY car in nearly identical spec - but with the ZPO shifter and a yellow rear load net. Not sure if the owner is on here but i was probably the only person in the field taking photos of the clio rather than the mclarens:
clioyellow-goodwood.jpeg

hah - seen here after demolishing 5000 flies:

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 14.18.56.png

obviously the clio is not the aston - but abnormally i drove them back to back and the clio steering feel (which is probably also partly due to the zero padding on retrimmed alcantara wheel) is remarkably similar. the v12vs is not a typical aston in the 'gentlemanly comfort cruiser' sense, it's pretty aggressive and brutish, there's very little bushing or padding in the steering rack.

hah - seen here after demolishing 5000 flies:

View attachment 150373

obviously the clio is not the aston - but abnormally i drove them back to back and the clio steering feel (which is probably also partly due to the zero padding on retrimmed alcantara wheel) is remarkably similar. the v12vs is not a typical aston in the 'gentlemanly comfort cruiser' sense, it's pretty aggressive and brutish, there's very little bushing or padding in the steering rack.

That's stunning fella

Reactions: jimmybell
Cage (JP Cages) has arrived :grimacing: looks lovely, very similar yellow to the car paint which is nice. going to have a bash at fitting this weekend.

also seat subframes etc arrived but not sure these are going to go the distance.. they're just too tall. details on https://clio197.net/threads/pole-position-seat-mount-sliders-harnesses.65685/

not really sure what to do with the seats... perhaps direct fit side-mounts that sit on the OEM rails might be the solution, to me it feels like recaros should sit lower than the oem sports seats else you're still sat 'on top' of the car rather than 'in it'. annoying to have waited so long for them.

Gaz Golds are not far away too - excitement on this somewhat undoes the seat faff.