Would supercharging 197 change the Renaultsport landscape???

My other Clio is running Omex and Jenveys.

Never had any problems with it, still pulls like a train and gets abused now and again but still have to take good care of it.

What reason would you have for charging the clio? Track... Or road?

what makes you think that the next gen clio would gain a massive 20bhp?

it would need to be a new engine, personally i think the F4R has gone as far as they will take it.

Better looking at weight reduction materials in the new model. Prob be onto Euro 6 engine reulations by then so might see the engine retired altogether like the Type R.

If i had 4k that i had to spend on a clio engine, i would def go with the meg 250 transpant and a diff. Joy!! :cloud9:

Never knew such a transplant existed! That would be frickin mental.
I reckon they'll do an R26.R equivellant of the clio before they replace it..........well i hope so anyway!

keep the standard 197 engine n/a and if you want to spend some money on some n/a tuning parts etc - thats what i would do - better rods/pistons and fully balanced etc and some head work and custom map and enjoy up to 8000rpm :thumbup:

if i wanted a turbocharged 197......i would fit the megane engine! :shout:

Sounds familiar :smile:

Some people here are talking about a Megane conversion costing 4K.

But where?

I have found no one yet who can do it.

do it ya sen, thats how true trend setting cars are made.

look at corsa sport for example, muppet sports corsa b which was built entirely on his drive.

him and his mates built a Z20 LET from scratch them selves, fitted it, used the intercooler as a bong, once complete they ran it on a dyno, it made silly power, they said that 400hp wasnt fast enough. they fitted ITBs, ran it again, in the end it made 510 ish hp.

or look at speckies tigra, he did similar with a tigra shell. he has over 600hp and holds the record for the fastest FWD car in the UK.

both great cars, both home built.

IMO the best cars built by people who start experimenting and trying to do conversions themselves.

get some balls and give it ago, be good being the first owner of a home brewed 197 / 200 turbo eh?

there is no way a factory road legal 2.0 NA would make 220 bhp......... NO WAY!!!!! the new clio RS is going to be just a little stronger with the F4R or be powered by the nissan coop 1.6 Turbo... the cup race car and the clio R3 make about 230 bhp, not only the engines are loud as a thunder, but they dont last more then 1500 km of proper abuse, not technically possible at the moment to get figures like that in a standard car, meet emission, noise level, durability etc.

^^^^woodys makes 232. I thought the cup car ran the same as the road cars, its was only the r3's that ran more?

Not aware of the cup racers having much more power than your road cars, afaik the units are sealed and have just been given a bit of a tickle by Renault like matching inlets.

They run a single cat rather than two (which gets changed often) and bilstein shocks or at least the guy I spoke to was.

The new 220bhp is a load of malarky, my uncle owns many renault dealerships. Each dealership was sent an email from Renault UK advising them that this is not true.

You could make one even more powerful, my old bike had 105hp out of 675cc.

Upscaling that to 2000cc would be the equivelent of a 290hp engine, admittedly the piston speeds in that revving to 12krpm were close to those in a F1 car (it being only 3 cylinders) but if they wanted they could.

It might not last out the warranty though :smiley: ,if a manufacturer was commited enough I'm sure it could be made reliable longterm.

Hmm I know of someone with an itb'd mk1 Clio with an f4r transplant and he hates it! Is going wrong everytime he drives it.

Huge modifications to modern engines very often mean unreliability, and the 197 engine is massively sensitive as it is.

My advice to anyone would be to keep it n/a and squirt a **** load of nitrous down it's throat. 265bhp baby :wink: and 5000 miles of completely safe and reliable racing.

there is no way a factory road legal 2.0 NA would make 220 bhp......... NO WAY!!!!! the new clio RS is going to be just a little stronger with the F4R or be powered by the nissan coop 1.6 Turbo... the cup race car and the clio R3 make about 230 bhp, not only the engines are loud as a thunder, but they dont last more then 1500 km of proper abuse, not technically possible at the moment to get figures like that in a standard car, meet emission, noise level, durability etc.

mmmm take a look at the aerial atom mugen....270bhp :001_tt1:

if you can rev em high enough you can find the "power" !

torque x revs = "power"

If it keeps the same torque as the 200 but maintains it at high revs it would produce 220bhp at just over 7300 rpm