Would supercharging 197 change the Renaultsport landscape???

Crystal ball at little....Jamsport supercharging the 197 is complete. After 18 months on, its reliable with no adverse effects, engines blown or gearboxes having eaten themselves. It develops an extra 40 bhp at the wheels so with exhaust and a bit of tweeks you could see your 197 with a reliable 250bhp....:cloud9: Of course there will be the greedy amongst us who will want 300!!!!!
Q.
Will there be many of us who would rather stay with the 197 and put 4 grand into a supercharger 18 months from now as oppose to buying a used 200?

Also would it now attrach people who would have normally gone down the corsa VXR route and others route.....

I think we all agree (even with our 197 goggles on)..a 250bhp 197 on a set of collies will be some motor car....

Last edited:
No, quite simply.

I had the supercharger kit on my Fiesta ST and it blew the engine up on way home, just 10miles after leaving... even though I was running just 250bhp. I had countless problems thereafter. Some of which were resolved and some of which were not. I would never do a large mod like that again to any car. It's like taking your wallet out and setting fire to it. I sold it after just 4months.

Even to this day i'm accused of red lining the engine constantly!??! none of which is true (remember this happened just 10miles down the road) People are running 315bhp on std ST engines (and i've seen people giving them A LOT of abuse) and not had many problems, I do believe mine had a dodgy map or something. It was also mapped for V-Power even though I only had std 95ron in at the time...

No doubt I will get shot down, but these are my honest findings after spending 5k.

From what i've read the F4R engines are a lot more fragile than the Duratec Ford units also?

Keep your Clio 200 and enjoy it for what it is. IMO.

Last edited:
No, quite simply.

I had the supercharger kit on my Fiesta ST and it blew the engine up on way home, just 10miles after leaving... even though I was running just 250bhp. I had countless problems thereafter. Some of which were resolved and some of which were not. I would never do a large mod like that again to any car. It's like taking your wallet out and setting fire to it. I sold it after just 4months.

Even to this day i'm accused of red lining the engine constantly!??! none of which is true (remember this happened just 10miles down the road) People are running 315bhp on std ST engines (and i've seen people giving them A LOT of abuse) and not had many problems, I do believe mine had a dodgy map or something. It was also mapped for V-Power even though I only had std 95ron in at the time...

No doubt I will get shot down, but these are my honest findings after spending 5k.

From what i've read the F4R engines are a lot more fragile than the Duratec Ford units also?

Keep your Clio 200 and enjoy it for what it is. IMO.

jamsport by any chance mate??

keep the standard 197 engine n/a and if you want to spend some money on some n/a tuning parts etc - thats what i would do - better rods/pistons and fully balanced etc and some head work and custom map and enjoy up to 8000rpm :thumbup:

if i wanted a turbocharged 197......i would fit the megane engine! :shout:

keep the standard 197 engine n/a and if you want to spend some money on some n/a tuning parts etc - thats what i would do - better rods/pistons and fully balanced etc and some head work and custom map and enjoy up to 8000rpm :thumbup:

if i wanted a turbocharged 197......i would fit the megane engine! :shout:

Amen to that, and it's been done and would be a damn site more reliable.

Am i right in thinking that this would also be cheaper than charging it?

Reactions: Meddings
i would rather just wait for the clio RS220 which is coming out this year.

from what ive read its going to be lighter than the 200 and have more midrange. i reckon 220hp would be ideal for the clio

i would rather just wait for the clio RS220 which is coming out this year.

from what ive read its going to be lighter than the 200 and have more midrange. i reckon 220hp would be ideal for the clio

where the f*ck did you read that?

no new clio rs this year.......been on the rs forum about this....

:bat:

as for the "changing the rs landscape" - yes it would !

197/200 = 2.0n/a

megane = 2.0turbo

Last edited:
I did say lets crystal ball that the development had proven to be reliable after lets say after 18 months. I had a BMW on a forum that said why supercharge a 330, just get a M3 until the kit was available from Germany and USA. Now I'm not sayin they sold loads of units but myself and another 5 cars on the forum fitted them. You can times that by 30+ in USA and of course everyone who had them fitted weren't necessary on forums.

Renault completely different I know but its easy to say you wouldn't fit one when there isn't one available or do other conversions when they aren't readly available either.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see but I wouldn't be doing it to my own.

If I wanted a supercharged hot hatch it would be a Mini GP.

Auto Express are shocking for stuff like this, but it certainly gets people talking.