Clio 197 Supercharging

Been considering boosting my car. I’ve seen that supreme motorsport offer a kit for about £6k.
Seems an ideal kit other than the reported power figures only equate to around 330hp according to their website.
That seems a little low to me, especially considering the price? Similarly priced kits in the Honda sphere can push 400-500bhp.

I only want to invest ££ into boosting if I can develop around 400bhp. Does anyone know what I would need to develop around this power, supporting mods etc.

Any input is welcome and very much appreciated :smile: Cheers

Well 6k is just buying you the charger kit and the parts which go with it.
Tuning companies will tell you 330bhp is the limit of the stock engine, but I’m yet to see one which hasn’t had issues running hard at those power levels anyhow. It isn’t a Honda engine which you can just slap some boost through and it works forever.

If you’re wanting 400 brake, a Megane engine is the ‘easiest’ way to go. But even then you’d need forged internals, a bigger turbo, etc.

Power figures are different for Honda engines because they are vastly superior to the ancient lump Renault put in the 197.

Now you say you only want to invest money if you can get 400 bhp, but haven’t given a budget. Anything is possible if you’re willing to throw enough money at it.

If you want a boosted engine, that will last, then you’re looking at a minimum of 10k to do it properly, regardless of what route you’re going down (supercharge/turbo).

Now if I was looking to spend that much, I’d buy a MK3 Megane and enjoy the Clio for what it is. Or just go balls out and buy an M4 for 20k!

Well 6k is just buying you the charger kit and the parts which go with it.
Tuning companies will tell you 330bhp is the limit of the stock engine, but I’m yet to see one which hasn’t had issues running hard at those power levels anyhow. It isn’t a Honda engine which you can just slap some boost through and it works forever.

If you’re wanting 400 brake, a Megane engine is the ‘easiest’ way to go. But even then you’d need forged internals, a bigger turbo, etc
I’m so jealous Honda guys, feel like they’ve got it so good when it comes to forced induction. I’ve never really considered the megane conversion because I like the characteristics of the f4r and the linear power that superchargers give. Thanks for your answer though bud, appreciate your take :smile:

Power figures are different for Honda engines because they are vastly superior to the ancient lump Renault put in the 197.

Now you say you only want to invest money if you can get 400 bhp, but haven’t given a budget. Anything is possible if you’re willing to throw enough money at it.

If you want a boosted engine, that will last, then you’re looking at a minimum of 10k to do it properly, regardless of what route you’re going down (supercharge/turbo).

Now if I was looking to spend that much, I’d buy a MK3 Megane and enjoy the Clio for what it is. Or just go balls out and buy an M4 for 20k
Such a shame that the f4r engine isn’t as readily able to accommodate forced induction as the Honda engines. It’s all swings and roundabouts then really, by the time I’ve put x amount of money into the 197 probably just be worth buying something else :/ Thanks for your input bro :smile:

Reactions: DS197
Such a shame that the f4r engine isn’t as readily able to accommodate forced induction as the Honda engines. It’s all swings and roundabouts then really, by the time I’ve put x amount of money into the 197 probably just be worth buying something else :/ Thanks for your input bro :smile:
No problem!

Logically speaking it would make sense to put that money into something else but at at the end of the day for some people it’s worth it because for them the Clio is the perfect package.

As car enthusiasts logic isn’t always in the picture, as with a lot of things that are a passion or hobby. At the end of the day if it’s something you really want to do, don’t let anyone stop you. But be sure to go in with the mindset that you’ll be spending double what you initially planned as that’s the way it usually works with boosting these cars.

You have the other option of going the K20/24 route through Custom Production if you love the Clio enough to spend the money, that way you get the power\'reliability' you want from the Honda engine but the Clio as a base.

Again it depends how deep your pockets are, I'm yet to see any real pricing for this and I think figures aren't out there for all to see for one reason - It gets very very expensive very quickly and as others have said I'd be keeping the Clio and buying an M4 or something for the money you'll end up spending. (or for the cost of a £6k supercharger kit, try a megane 250 out)

Reactions: Jay_197RS
You have the other option of going the K20/24 route through Custom Production if you love the Clio enough to spend the money, that way you get the power\'reliability' you want from the Honda engine but the Clio as a base.

Again it depends how deep your pockets are, I'm yet to see any real pricing for this and I think figures aren't out there for all to see for one reason - It gets very very expensive very quickly and as others have said I'd be keeping the Clio and buying an M4 or something for the money you'll end up spending. (or for the cost of a £6k supercharger kit, try a megane 250 out)
I looked into this and I think it was 10k for a basic engine swap. But in reality you’d only go for this option because you want forced induction at which point you’re looking at 15k (although I reckon it’s even more than that). It’s a shame really as it would be the perfect car with a K20 in it.

How deep are your pockets and how much are you prepared to lose?

I have 370 in mine and it’s plenty. I have tussles with all sorts of high powered cars on track but it’s come at a cost. Not worth my sort of outlay IMHO, buy a Megane or something like an M2
I suppose it’s the attraction of having something that’s fairly unique! that’s a large part of my draw to a supercharged 197, but I’ll take your word for it and probably look into something else. I don’t have heaps of money to throw at it but I guess I was just curious as to how feasible it actually was. Thanks for your response mate, much appreciated

Great minds think alike! If I had a pound for every time I’d thought about doing this very swap, I’d probably have enough money to actually do it. IMHO I think a supercharged K20 with the 197/200 chassis is perfection.

Reactions: matt9566
I suppose it’s the attraction of having something that’s fairly unique! that’s a large part of my draw to a supercharged 197, but I’ll take your word for it and probably look into something else. I don’t have heaps of money to throw at it but I guess I was just curious as to how feasible it actually was. Thanks for your response mate, much appreciated
They are definitely unique and I love the car! The supreme kit is a bit of a bargain when you consider my IC/rad setup was nearly 2k. You could easily fit it yourself, have it mapped and enjoy it as it is. I kind of went mad with the ECU, fuel setup etc.

You won’t get 400bhp though without spending a shit tonne more

Reactions: Jay_197RS
Great minds think alike! If I had a pound for every time I’d thought about doing this very swap, I’d probably have enough money to actually do it. IMHO I think a supercharged K20 with the 197/200 chassis is perfection.

Yeah I think it'd be amazing.

I've gone to the dark side and currently in a 330d touring as I do quite a lot of miles now, but next year I'm tempted to look in to buying a cheap 200 and then going this route for a weekend car. Yeah I'll be the wrong side of £15k once done probably but I just don't know what else you can get for that money which is as unique - I've done the whole Megane 265/275, Cupra 290 etc .

Now I've got the 330 it means a weekend car can be as unpractical as I like, loud, harsh etc

I adore the shape of a Clio 200 and I think with the K20/24 and a supercharger it would just be perfect.

I'd even be tempted with a K20/24 in a Clio 182 as they'd be a cheap base car but I think majority of cheap ones out there are 50% rust these days