Would supercharging 197 change the Renaultsport landscape???

nitrous....anybody done this yet?

I've been running a 50bhp - 65lb/ft shot of wet nitrous for just over a year now and the cars taken alot of road and drag strip abuse all in it's stride. Obviously the only downside being it's tempoary power as when the bottles gone your back to n/a.

Easiest and most reliable way to get power out of these engines IMO.

the Honda S2000 agreed, they dont meet the current emissions do they? even the 200 bhp type-r doesnt, what I was talking about as well, not that it is impossible to do, impossible with current requirements met or extremely expensive to develop, dont think renault would spend money on developing a new NA engine anyway, as the charged low volume engines are so much better for everyday use and boring cars, meaning they would be making an engine solely for the CLIO... maybe there is still room for improvement for the F4R, but first, lets hope they'll make a 200 that actually makes 200 :smile:

keep the standard 197 engine n/a and if you want to spend some money on some n/a tuning parts etc - thats what i would do - better rods/pistons and fully balanced etc and some head work and custom map and enjoy up to 8000rpm :thumbup:

if i wanted a turbocharged 197......i would fit the megane engine! :shout:

Agreed, or get an R26 and stage 1 remap :smile:

Renault have already let it slip that they will be sticking with N/A for the next generation Clio RS. In all the years I have driven the Clio RS I'm not at all surprised.

It's likely will be little or no more power (simply due to emissions and fuel economy), BUT the improvements will come in the form of lighter, stronger parts.

The Megane is always the platform for the next generation Clio and the new Megane is lighter and stronger than the previous generation.

the Honda S2000 agreed, they dont meet the current emissions do they? even the 200 bhp type-r doesnt, what I was talking about as well, not that it is impossible to do, impossible with current requirements met or extremely expensive to develop, dont think renault would spend money on developing a new NA engine anyway, as the charged low volume engines are so much better for everyday use and boring cars, meaning they would be making an engine solely for the CLIO... maybe there is still room for improvement for the F4R, but first, lets hope they'll make a 200 that actually makes 200 :smile:

The myth that they don't make their power is bit of a tired story. I've owned four Clio RS and they do make their power BUT it takes approx 18k to fully run the F4R in. The engine also needs 98 or 99 ron to achieve that.

There are lots of examples on here of 197's that have had their miles and are making their figures. The people that don't make their figures are the new owners.

I hope the next one is lighter.

My 182 was only 1050kg or something and the 197 is about 200kg heAvier. I had a primera gt years ago which was a big car and didn't weigh asich as the 197

Imagine how much better it would be if it were that much lighter.

It's definitely going to be lighter and better built. Just like the Megane 250 is. With the reduced weight they'll probably be able to play with the gear ratios to get the same performance but improve economy and emissions.

0-60 will stay the same. It's a super mini and has been the same for 12 years.

Try rolling a 182 and a 197, you'll thank it for the extra 200 kilos!

People are demanding safety, the EU is demanding emissions targets. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next though.

Ben R1 has the only realistic tuning option I'd consider, I'd never charge/turbo it and I'd never go for a forged/cammed build either.

Maybe when the arse has fallen out and they're £3000 toys with tuning packages in proportion with that price.

dont see the point in spending money on supercharger turbo kits etc, if your wanting turbo, youve chosen the wrong car! RS Clios are renowned for been NA cars!

fair enough if you like the looks of the clio, in which case, go for an engine conversion with the megane lump. that way you know there is NO risk of the engine blowing etc if carried out properly, then simply upgrade intercooler, and remapped and youll see nice gains! grrrr bad mood today lol

I've been running a 50bhp - 65lb/ft shot of wet nitrous for just over a year now and the cars taken alot of road and drag strip abuse all in it's stride. Obviously the only downside being it's tempoary power as when the bottles gone your back to n/a.

Easiest and most reliable way to get power out of these engines IMO.

indeed it is :jase: