Windscreen chip - don't believe the adverts

So does a repair count or just a replacement?

Yep, I asked this when I was renewing in December as for some reason it didn't show on my policy schedule, and Elephant re-issued it with the details of the repair claim on. The lovely Welsh lady on the phone said though that they (Elephant, possibly all of Admiral Group too) don't take windscreen claims into account when calculating the premium.

Clearly then there is no statistically significant link between making a windscreen claim and an increased likelihood of making another claim, suggesting that they are completely random events.

Its because the insurance companies are getting charged an absolute fortune for the work. £75 is nothing, tomorrow im replacing an 'N' reg polo front screen and the insurers are getting charged £625.20 inc VAT.

Its because the insurance companies are getting charged an absolute fortune for the work. £75 is nothing, tomorrow im replacing an 'N' reg polo front screen and the insurers are getting charged £625.20 inc VAT.

Asif! Cost me £115 for a Clio screen

Cash prices arent so bad theres big money in insurance work though. If i do any private work I can get 95% of screens for £35-£50

Interesting stuff...guy came today to repair it and looks to have done a decent job so can't really complain (Apart from being scheduled to come 9am-1pm and actually coming at 3pm lol) :smile: As long as it doesn't affect my no claims tho I'm happy. Ta guys

Yep, I asked this when I was renewing in December as for some reason it didn't show on my policy schedule, and Elephant re-issued it with the details of the repair claim on. The lovely Welsh lady on the phone said though that they (Elephant, possibly all of Admiral Group too) don't take windscreen claims into account when calculating the premium.

Clearly then there is no statistically significant link between making a windscreen claim and an increased likelihood of making another claim, suggesting that they are completely random events.

Elephant are a part of Admiral, along with Bell and Diamond.

When I asked Admiral about the claim on my NCB (as I couldn't figure out what it was for at first) they said they DO take it into account for a quotation, because something along the lines of "if you're the type of person to claim for a repair, you're likely to claim in the future if you get a chip" as opposed to someone who will just ignore it I guess. I don't like it, but I can sort of understand it.

Probably not exactly what they said as it was about 2 years ago now, but pretty much that. It might be different now as they charge an excess.

no windscreen claim counts towards NCB as far as i'm aware i just wandered if you have to declare a fix or just replacement.

Be careful. I was reading a rather large thread about replacement windscreens on another forum the other day.

It appears some insurance companies are counting replacement windscreens as a claim and therefore loss of NCB. I am only aware of Swiftcover doing this at the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other doing this.

It was also general rule of thumb that you don't need to declare windscreen claims but as above varies with insurer and I imagine if your insurance company classes it as a claim like above you would have to declare to any subsequent insurers.

Also in this said thread one guy had moved from Swiftcover to Greenlight and Greenlight were surprised to hear about the loss of NCB from a windscreen claim and reinstated it back to the amount of NCB before the claim for him which was nice of them.

Look here at post #16 for guy discussing swiftcover to greenlight move http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18472411

Last edited:
Also in this said thread one guy had moved from Swiftcover to Greenlight and Greenlight were surprised to hear about the loss of NCB from a windscreen claim and reinstated it back to the amount of NCB before the claim for him which was nice of them.

Look here at post #16 for guy discussing swiftcover to greenlight move http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18472411

That's because Greenlight f*cking rock! :thumbup1:

I had a chip repair on my Fiesta through Bell (part of Admiral Group) and it didn't affect my no claims, got a clean cert of NCB from them when I ended the policy.

Similar Thread Suggestions