Windscreen chip - don't believe the adverts

So I noticed I had a tiny (and I mean very tiny) windscreen chip the other day and thought I'd better get it seen to sooner rather than later so it doesn't get any worse.

With most people I know saying "are you fully comp? You should get it free", I phoned up Admiral and turns out I have to pay £25 excess and they are using national windscreens rather than auto-glass. (I am fully comp btw)

Morale of the story for me, don't believe the TV adverts :thumbdown:

Could have been worse I guess...could have needed a new windscreen which would have cost £75 i think. This is the first time I've had a chip repaired, so has any-one else on here got a fully comp policy + had to pay for it or have I been robbed? :smile:

I had to pay for mine, I'm also with Admiral.
I think it's free if you're over a certain age or something (and therefore have a different level of excess). I see you're only 21, I'm 20. I may be talking rubbish here though!

I had a stone hit my old dci's windscreen last year. I thought £25 excess was fair for the repair. Better than having to pay the full excess!

I wish I'd just got a new windscreen though for £50 more though. The damage was just to the right of the rear view mirror, so was always visible. And with the sub-zero temperatures we had just before Christmas I'm sure the 'spider' got a little bigger.

Hmm judging from the replies then I'm guessing it could be an age thing...which wouldn't surprise me. :smile:

I'm not saying that £25 is particularly bad by the way...but me being a Sheffield lad and a student would have preferred if it was free that's all =p

@Smoggy mark - I guess for some people you can believe the adverts then, just us young whipper-snappers that can't ha

@Smoggy mark - I guess for some people you can believe the adverts then, just us young whipper-snappers that can't ha[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!yeah i thought all the adverts were true,Think cos ime a old knacker i got it free mate:wink:

I have had a chip in mine for nearly two years. Hasn't got any bigger or worse. Survived summer, winter and numerous track days.

So indeed.... Don't believe the hype (or adverts)

I have had a chip in mine for nearly two years. Hasn't got any bigger or worse. Survived summer, winter and numerous track days.

So indeed.... Don't believe the hype (or adverts)

+1
My dad had a chip in his windscreen which he got repaired. A few days after the windscreen cracked and had to be replaced. Maybe you should just leave them as chips? Lol :smiley:

aviva is £10

@fernandez do you have to declare a chip fixed? and not just a replacement screen?

either way it doesn't count on claims.

I don't think £75 for a new screen is bad, I'm with admiral and paid that last year to replace it. It has not affected my policy this year as sorted my renewal a few days ago. Just think if you had to pay the full price of the screen...

It won't reduce your no claims bonus. But when I had one done while with Admiral, when I got my proof of NCB through at the end of the year there was a claim for £70-odd on there, so it 100% counts as you making a claim on insurance when it comes to getting quotes.

That was when it was still free for a repair, the following year was £10, looks like £25 now, the cost is only going one way.

It won't reduce your no claims bonus. But when I had one done while with Admiral, when I got my proof of NCB through at the end of the year there was a claim for £70-odd on there, so it 100% counts as you making a claim on insurance when it comes to getting quotes.

same here when i went from multi-car policy down to single policy was on proof of "no-claims" from them

Similar Thread Suggestions