Will these fit

Pilgrim, no really, there was another thread running at the same time late last night when there was only about four people online. It was all in good nature but a lot of truth is said in jest. :smile:

I really don't see why somebody would do it to a 197/200 but like I said in both this thread and the other one, it's never a bad thing to try something different so it'll be "interesting" to see how it turns out if OP does follow his plans through. I personally don't get the fascination with ill-fitting tyres and these cars haven't really attracted that sort of crowd before so it's not something you'd expect to read on a forum based around a performance orientated hot hatch. You'd have had to have been involved last night in the pair of threads to see things in the correct context...

Last edited:
No, really, there was another thread running at the same time late last night when there was only about four people online. It was all in good nature but a lot of truth is said in jest. :smile:

I really don't see why somebody would do it to a 197/200 but like I said in both this thread and the other one, it's never a bad thing to try something different so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out if OP does follow his plans through. You'd have had to have been involved last night in the pair of threads to see things in the correct context...

I saw the air bags one :tongueout:

Next we'll have people cutting springs and spacing out their top mounts for extra 'lows'.

I might just go kill myself now.....

I know you did!!! :smiley:

I was editing my post as you replied hahaha!!!

Like I said in that thread, I'd rather new owners go down this route with them over smashing them around car parks and tar'ing me with their scrote brush like has happened with so many decent cars down the years when values have dropped and people have started getting "creative" or whatever. To me, all this scene stuff is just a bit, well, gay, don't really know how else to describe it. I don't get it at all. It's like stickerbombing, don't get that either!?! :smiley:

I know you did!!! :smiley:

I was editing my post as you replied hahaha!!!

Like I said in that thread, I'd rather new owners go down this route with them over smashing them around car parks and tar'ing me with their scrote brush like has happened with so many decent cars down the years when values have dropped and people have started getting "creative" or whatever. To me, all this scene stuff is just a bit, well, gay, don't really know how else to describe it. I don't get it at all. It's like stickerbombing, don't get that either!?! :smiley:

I thought that was to make the petrol soak in better as you set them on fire? no?

hmmmm

Hahaha!!! Cheap way to cover up paint damage if you can't afford a respray!?!

There you go again lol, 'ill-fitting tyres'. I think some peoples worlds would implode if I told them there are performance gains to be had from running a bit of stretch...

Like I said before, people that don't have the experience only see it as a negative.

Still not buying it that your early comments were in jest though :smiley:

There you go again lol, 'ill-fitting tyres'. I think some peoples worlds would implode if I told them there are performance gains to be had from running a bit of stretch...

Like I said before, people that don't have the experience only see it as a negative.

Still not buying it that your early comments were in jest though :smiley:

Potential advantages but not at the extremes that were being discussed.

They are ill-fitting if they're about 2" too narrow hahaha!!!

If you go for an MOT and get an advisory for "tyres incorrect size for rim" and "wheels protruding from arches" then yes, I would class that as ill-fitting. Don't assume that you're the only one who's ran stretched tyres before or the only one who is in the loop when it comes to that scene. The sizes discussed on here were I think 195 on a 8.5 and that is bloody pushing the boundaries of what's sensible really. A little stretch doesn't look too bad, but a lot of the stuff that you see on the forums just looks broken to me.

It's horses for courses Ollie, it really is.

I can sort of understand a boggo car being dropped on its arse and messed about with to look a particular way at the cost of performance or usability, but I don't get the point of doing the same thing to something that's performance orientated. It doesn't make sense to me, that doesn't mean it can't look good and I'd never boo hiss at somebody who tried something different. I just personally don't understand doing it to this sort of car. On a Beetle or something then fair enough, they're not really built for anything other than the style conscious anyway, they're accessory cars.

It's like the Bozuku movement (or however you spell it) in Japan. Five foot long exhausts poking out all over the place and so much camber that the cars are running on the sidewalls... I don't get it, but at the same time you don't usually see that sort of thing on an AE86 for example. It's the same sort of thing here that the 197/200 so far seems to have dodged the whole Euro scene for whatever reason.

Stickerbombing though, I just can't make sense of no matter what it's on hahaha!!! :smiley:

It was 195 on an 8J that was mentioned, but that in itself is meaningless as its missing the profile measurement. 195/45 is ok. That again even depends on what brand of tyre you use. Some have more flexible sidewalls and will sit better.
The only thing I've assumed is that people who comment negatively often lack the knowledge or experience to back up their reasoning. It usually just boils down to, 'its not safe, it'll fail its mot, you'll get pulled' etc.

It's horses for courses Ollie, it really is.

I can sort of understand a boggo car being dropped on its arse and messed about with to look a particular way at the cost of performance or usability, but I don't get the point of doing the same thing to something that's performance orientated. It doesn't make sense to me, that doesn't mean it can't look good and I'd never boo hiss at somebody who tried something different. I just personally don't understand doing it to this sort of car. On a Beetle or something then fair enough, they're not really built for anything other than the style conscious anyway, they're accessory cars.

It's like the Bozuku movement (or however you spell it) in Japan. Five foot long exhausts poking out all over the place and so much camber that the cars are running on the sidewalls... I don't get it, but at the same time you don't usually see that sort of thing on an AE86 for example. It's the same sort of thing here that the 197/200 so far seems to have dodged the whole Euro scene for whatever reason.

Stickerbombing though, I just can't make sense of no matter what it's on hahaha!!! :smiley:

You've said exactly what me and others have said over on Cs when op posted his intentions (but I won't get into that spedem :tongueout:)

I saw that meg in pfc though and almost clawed my eyes out lol. Why the ****?!

Looking into tyres for the 8j 18's looks like I'll have to run 215/40 tyres as there's not many tyres about in 18 less that 215 width. So may have to rethink as that will limit how low I can go :worried:

Will most likely go for falcon tyres as they stretch well

You've said exactly what me and others have said over on Cs when op posted his intentions (but I won't get into that spedem :tongueout:)

I saw that meg in pfc though and almost clawed my eyes out lol. Why the ****?!

Thought I'd see if I got less abuse on this forum lol

I don't take anything to heart, if you lot turn up to trax you can have a good look at it. Might even come along the FCS