Will these fit

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but will 17in 8.5j et35 alloys fit my car with 20mm Adaptors (so final et of et5) fit my 197?

Thinking I'd need to run a bit of stretch?

Cheers

Et35 with a 20mm spacer is et15. Though these cars ran silly high offsets as standard, like 50 odd. Anything will fit, just a question of if it needs a bit of arch work, whether that be lip rolling, slight flare or just trimming the liner.

They will stick out of the arches by around an inch or more.

An 8j wheel with an et of 55 fills out the arch perfect.

These are half inch wider so half of an inch (12mm) divide by two (6mm)

Then the difference between et15 and et55 (40mm) so they would stick past the arch approx 46mm.

Google carlos fandango :smiley:

The fronts will be 64mm further out than the standard ones meaning I would probly need to run 195/40 tyres with some camber for them to fit.

I'm going to try and find some et50 8j's so they'll be et30 with Adaptors which is reasonable

Whats the obsession with such an extreme offset?

OEM wheels are ET68 btw, at ET45 (ET55 for 8J)they sit at about the ideal distance, a little inside the arch but only just. At ET30 with an 8J wheel it'll look silly, even more so with 194/40 tyres not the mention the effect on the handling.

I was just trying to work out if they would fit, and they won't. 8j et30 will fit well without needing to run a lot of stretch

Yeah I know what it all means. 8j et30 will poke a little bit but nothing that can't be sorted with some stretch and some slight camber.

What the actual f?ck am I reading!?!

Poke!?!

Stretch!?!

Have I had some kind of brainfart and ended up on a VW forum!?!

These cars are made for driving, not parading around fields with stupid bike racks on the roof!!! :bat:

What the actual f?ck am I reading!?!

Poke!?!

Stretch!?!

Have I had some kind of brainfart and ended up on a VW forum!?!

These cars are made for driving, not parading around fields with stupid bike racks on the roof!!! :bat:

Lol, I know this is off topic but you have to admire a scene that regards a roof rack, beer keg and old TV as a mod

I know it's not going to be to everyone's taste but its what I like, will keep the standard wheels for trackdays and when I want to drive it hard.

I know it's not going to be to everyone's taste but its what I like, will keep the standard wheels for trackdays and when I want to drive it hard.

Its your car so do what makes you happy. Plenty of people must cringe at mine but it matters not. :smile:

Each to their own and far be it for anybody to tell anybody else how to spend their hard earned!!! :smiley:

But, cant help thinking you should've bought a Mk.3 Golf 1.4 for this sort of thing and then got yourself a track toy for occasional use or whatever. It's just so counterintuitive to do something like this to a car as performance orientated as a 197/200. Where as most Golf's handle like one-legged hippos so quite frankly even square wheels would offer handling improvements on them. Regardless of personal taste, the safety aspect of running a 195 section tyre on an 8" wide wheel is just laughable. I wouldn't want a car running that sort of setup anywhere near me on the road, tyres just aren't designed to take the loads in the places you'd be moving them to.

Next we'll end up with somebody on here asking about air bags and at that point I think I'll have to ban myself for fear of causing massive amounts of emotional trauma to the poster!!! I just don't get it, not even a little bit, why buy a performance car and then do stuff like this... It's like that abortion of a Megane 250 in this months PFC.

Thank tha Lorrrd the bonnet on these is Aluminium so nobody can "rat" it up!!! :smiley: