Will the Megane 2.0L turbo fit the 197?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i cant find anything on the search menu, ;/

Will the above engine fit the 197? ive read that theoretically it should mount in the same places?

But the real question is will it fit in the bay with a turbo hanging of it?

Im new to Renault so im guess it would probably need stand alone engine management?

Thanks alot,

Pete

given the room under the bonnet (or lack of it) I dont think it would all fit under there. Plus I'm not sure if the gearbox mounting holes are the same and the meggy box wont fit in the 197

i would say that it could - there seems to be space at the rear of the engine for turbo and manifold

think the issue would be gearbox - which would fit or to use - given the turbo engine torque output

and intercooler space at the front - think it would need a bespoke one to fit in the front/bumper space

It will fit in the bay but not with the standard 197 mounts but it's not just a case of fitting the engine as it won't work on the standard wiring loom

Fred said it can be done relatively easily... just the wiring that needs some work

Jason on here has all of the bits and a 197 shell, not sure how far he's progressed it.

Would probably need the diff fitting too? I guess you'd struggle to get a Forge FMIC on though, so would have to stick to Stage 1 Remaps...

Jason didn't get very far with the engine transplant I didn't thnk but there is someone else that is nearly there.
Engine in just having to make his own loom from scratch.

Any of these people got build threads going on? linkys!

To be fair it wouldn't need to be mapped any harder but the additional torque would make the clio a weapon,

As for lag the boost its fairly low and from what i understand its not a hugely laggy engine, and lag isn't so much an issue when comparing to the 197 engine than has a power band the size of a peanut! all be it a very exciting peanut!

Im just pondering the idea for now but i have a few connections in one off FI set ups that could help me out,

Only thing is the extra torque could be enough to spoil the perfect handling of the 197,

If you are just after some low down torque and moderate bhp increases. You should be far better/cheaper off to convert the original engine.

On sleeping on this I think a turbo would bucher all that's special about the 197! So much of it's charm is it's balls out rawness which IMO a turbo destroys,

A s/c running around 6psi on standard compression is a different matter! But ITB would be sweet but I can't seem to find a solid kit offered anywhere?

25bhp in a car like the Clio is alot but it's the torque that comes with it that's the key to making it quicker,

only weekness seems to be the gearbox? Anyone know what it's good for?

Ktec told me at Autosport last month the 197s gearbox is rated to 250lb/ft or so...

I cant see it myself.

Got to say, i am looking at this conversion this year, maybe take the car off the road in oct and do it in the winter. Just gotta wait on my mate writting his 225 off. As for the wiring, don't see it being much of a problem if you are running a stand a lone. Which i will prob be doing. But then again, not sure yet of how the key less entry and start button will work. Then again if i have to get rid of them, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, just enter Clifford with intelistart. I know there is alot of other questions aswell.

Does anyone have a cd rom of like the Renault Data and workshop manuals for either car? Also has anyone stripped down the gearbox of a 197 yet?