Why modify?

Just wondering who on here actually keeps there car standard and who is itching to 'tinker' and change stuff?

Why?

(obviously no right and wrong to this i'm just interested to know what different peoples thought process behind it is)

I have experience of heavy modification to a smart roadster. Loved it at the time even tho it took 2 years, met a lot of great people but the time and money......
good experience but wouldn't do it again!

I believe it's all personalisation, even though some people may do the same mods or little things its to your own taste rather than what it just came out of the factory as. Some people strive for the extra seconds on the track and some people just want to stand out.
Me personally its a bit of both, just adds a little more excitement to an already excellent car :thumbup:

Can't see me modding the 200, but that's one reason why I also got the 265 Trophy.

I figured it wouldn't be that much difference in price after I'd finished doing all the mods.

There are very few cars that come to the spec that I want standard.

I'd probably always lower a car slightly, mainly to enhance how it looks slightly.

Only thing I wouldn't do again is add a mega loud exhaust. Love my ktec/decat around home but did 530 miles on Sunday and my god it got boring.

It's a hobby isn't it? It doesn't matter how you see it, it always comes down to that.

It doesn't really matter where you'd decide to spend your hard earned cash on to - improve your track times, or looks, or chase power figures etc etc - what you do is enjoying your hobby. This is how I see it anyway:smile:

I wonder how many of you guys look beyond all the mods and into the costs of it all?
I mean, been there with 10k into a car!
I'm going for a completely well maintained car over mods.
Funny thing to me is that thousands can be spent on performance parts but if you keep a standard car in tip top condition then it will be every bit as good.
(Good if you can afford both I suppose!) but again that throws the question like mentioned in previous post, why not put the money into an already 'better' or quicker car?

There are just some questions I've come to ask myself over the past 2 - 3 years! Must be a hitting 30 thing!

It's a hobby isn't it? It doesn't matter how you see it, it always comes down to that.

It doesn't really matter where you'd decide to spend your hard earned cash on to - improve your track times, or looks, or chase power figures etc etc - what you do is enjoying your hobby. This is how I see it anyway:smile:

I agree with yiannis, I mean I have a company car that I only use during the week as I'm away, when i come back I look forward to any parts I might have got over the week.
Just because your modifying doesn't mean it's not well maintained. If anything people who modify thier cars seem to have the best maintenance disciplines around.

Yes it is and very much was for me, and I was privileged to get a trip to Europe all paid for from smart and meet lots of great people etc,
Maybe you have hit the nail on the head!
Maybe there just comes a point in life whereby other things take priority. For me looking back I would have liked to do more travelling, maybe that's why I view it differently now and would rather put my money into that.

I wonder how many of you guys look beyond all the mods and into the costs of it all?
I mean, been there with 10k into a car!
I'm going for a completely well maintained car over mods.
Funny thing to me is that thousands can be spent on performance parts but if you keep a standard car in tip top condition then it will be every bit as good.
(Good if you can afford both I suppose!) but again that throws the question like mentioned in previous post, why not put the money into an already 'better' or quicker car?

There are just some questions I've come to ask myself over the past 2 - 3 years! Must be a hitting 30 thing!

Im 30+ but like a kid at christmas when i get a new mod,it is a hobby or a "bug"what get you.Ive spent a few bob on mods but not silly money just to give my motor that bit of edge over standard and things like maintaining i keep on top of but say if your pads are about due and fluid it would not cost much more upgrading to something a bit better than standard.

Had my car all of 3 hours and I had started changing things. Spent over £5,000 on my last car a Focus ST too. Don't regret any of it either.