Why i can't sell up for another manufacturer basically.

So, its been near a year and a half i have had my R27 and im getting the itch to change. Two Clio's down and i want a change of scenery.

After looking at many different cars such as the Golf R32, Audi S3, Impreza STI (hatchback), Civic Type R Championship, Golf GTI, Focus RS, BMW 135i.. All the usual impressive cars with slight more refinement. Why do I keep falling back to the 200?

What i want in a car: Softer suspension with half decent cornering, more comfortable seats, still quick, preferably a turbo and possible 4WD.

What i don't want: Rock hard suspension, bucket seats once again, all the rattles from a Clio!

Iv had a great experience with the R27 and learned a lot in it but the car just hasn't excited me as much as it did when i first got it and i don't seem to 'bond' with it no more, and i push the car for what its made for. After all this part of the UK is famous for its twisties! So i think i eventually found out what i want to go for next due to getting very bored of the 197..

A Clio 200 is possibly my final decision..

People are maybe thinking :001_huh: But my reason being, i want a car with warranty, low low mileage, comfier seats and still fun in the corners. But 2 Clio's later and i still can't see myself driving anything else and also i had a play around with a seriously tuned Saab last night and that boy couldn't get away from me for sh*t in bends and its the best iv felt in a car in a long time. Huge smile on my face, so i basically made my mind up there and then!

Sorry thought id rant a little. Anybody got the same experience that you can't let go of the Clio?

I know what you mean but in all honesty I think my next car will be a 350 or 370z.. i've had three clio's one mk2 and two mk3 (one an RS and one an non rs) I dont know that I can justify the extra cost of running a 350/370z especially as I'm now saving for a house! with the price of insurance and road tax and petrol going up at a steady rate i'm just wondering if I should move to something smaller with a turbo? its a hard choice mate but over all for fun I think the Clio will most likely be the car that brings a smile to my face most!

I know where your coming from, I to had the same thing although in between I had an r26, now driving a golf gti which is just great 5yrs old and still solid feel great comfy seats and still handles and drives very well, however last couple of days I miss the 197 haven't put my finger on it yet but there is just something.

So right now if I was offered the right car I would seriously consider a swap back into a 197.

Not exactly the same as you as you haven't got shot of yours but I know what you mean the Clio is just such a good car it's difficult to see past.

I know what you mean, having driven a lot of cars before buying my 197.

I think you'll have no problem finding something that is faster, comfier and more refined BUT I don't think you'll find something that is as fun as the clio.

Have you considered a Focus ST? Tuned up it's as fast as the RS and more comfortable if you don't like the Recaros. It won't have the same fun factor as the clio though

I know what you mean but in all honesty I think my next car will be a 350 or 370z.. i've had three clio's one mk2 and two mk3 (one an RS and one an non rs) I dont know that I can justify the extra cost of running a 350/370z especially as I'm now saving for a house! with the price of insurance and road tax and petrol going up at a steady rate i'm just wondering if I should move to something smaller with a turbo? its a hard choice mate but over all for fun I think the Clio will most likely be the car that brings a smile to my face most!

That's something that is putting me off faster cars, the high running costs considering i am trying to save for a house also, the Clio has high running costs but nowhere near as expensive as faster cars.

I know where your coming from, I to had the same thing although in between I had an r26, now driving a golf gti which is just great 5yrs old and still solid feel great comfy seats and still handles and drives very well, however last couple of days I miss the 197 haven't put my finger on it yet but there is just something.

So right now if I was offered the right car I would seriously consider a swap back into a 197.

Not exactly the same as you as you haven't got shot of yours but I know what you mean the Clio is just such a good car it's difficult to see past.

I know what you mean, iv always been a fan of the GTI but would probably go for the R32 for some reason.

I know what you mean, having driven a lot of cars before buying my 197.

I think you'll have no problem finding something that is faster, comfier and more refined BUT I don't think you'll find something that is as fun as the clio.

Have you considered a Focus ST? Tuned up it's as fast as the RS and more comfortable if you don't like the Recaros. It won't have the same fun factor as the clio though

I know its simple finding something faster because i know the Clio isn't a fast car but great in the bends, to be honest the Clio had been letting me down in bends until last night :smiley:

I have considered a Focus ST but there are like 50 of them in my town and when i test drove one i just thought it was like a boat in the corners and this was before the Clio so i dread to think what its like now to me..

Agree with you there r32 is a very capable motor and sounds wicked and would probably be awesome on the road up your neck of the woods, I just find that the are very expensive but then you pay for quality..I sold an 07 megane r26 and for same money got an 05 golf gti so they do hold there value better than renaults and are easier to sell on.

the only real premium 4wd hatch is gonna have to be a quattro? s3? can get a good one for 17-18k, failing that signum vxr?

Agree with you there r32 is a very capable motor and sounds wicked and would probably be awesome on the road up your neck of the woods, I just find that the are very expensive but then you pay for quality..I sold an 07 megane r26 and for same money got an 05 golf gti so they do hold there value better than renaults and are easier to sell on.

Yeah i noticed that the GTI keeps the price quite well compared to other cars in its league.

the only real premium 4wd hatch is gonna have to be a quattro? s3? can get a good one for 17-18k, failing that signum vxr?

I looked at the S3 Gaz and i love it, but just don't know. I think i will have to test drive one :smile:

BMW 130 M-Sport? They're meant to be pretty good, rear wheel drive too

Would love one, stunning cars looked at the 135i's and the 130's fearsome quick. But i always just keep coming back to the Clio! lol! Love my french crap :wink:

I changed from a R27 to a 200 and guess what? I wish I had chosen a different car.

Yeh the new one looks good (although not as good as my old R27) it drives good (just like my old one) but that it's it. No difference really and I think I've tired of the Clio - it's my thrid Renaultsport in five years (182 Cup, 197 R27 and the 200.)

So seriously keep your R27 and if you're worried buy the extra warranty from Renault.

Funny how we expect cars to be all things to all people. Its unrealistic. Look good, fast, brake well, good on the twisty stuff, good on fuel, cheap to insure and carry the shopping home from Tesco....

I know exactly what you mean...looked for ages but nothing either excited me enough or was more than I was willing to pay. I hate cars that are too high maintenence, takes the fun right out of them. Big insurance payments, big fuel bills, big finance payments, big servicing costs...big headache. Even then, it doesn't buy exclusivity.

The answer. Two cars. One for the family run a round (or your daily driver e.g Golf diesel) and one for you. Yours can be as impractical as you like because it doesn't matter, only you are driving it. Its amazing how many cars come into that bracket. If it needs moddin', fixing or playing with, doesn't matter cause you've got the daily runner. Simples and works for me. Just putting a smashed up F1 back on the road for 4 grand less it value. Gonna just drive it and enjoy it. Not bothered about its resale value.

Some of my friends have taken it a step further and have collectively bought a track dayer. They work on, set themselves a budget and will have weekends of fun out with the family tracking it.

Last edited:

I looked at the S3 Gaz and i love it, but just don't know. I think i will have to test drive one :smile:

Currently got one on the drive mate and with a remap they go really well, 4wd is still a haldex system but much more refined than that found mk4 R32's

again i've had it glued to the back of a C4S its a capable car but once you get used to the yank of the turbo...which takes a while :smile: you begin to realise its not actually that fun almost souless. But it eats miles its very very quiet uber smooth but still tight and eclipses anything else it its sector in terms of quality + the bose sound system is wicked!

Currently got one on the drive mate and with a remap they go really well, 4wd is still a haldex system but much more refined than that found mk4 R32's

again i've had it glued to the back of a C4S its a capable car but once you get used to the yank of the turbo...which takes a while :smile: you begin to realise its not actually that fun almost souless. But it eats miles its very very quiet uber smooth but still tight and eclipses anything else it its sector in terms of quality + the bose sound system is wicked!

I sold my leon for the above reasons, huge torque and shove in the back, and will blitz most things, i showed many an r32 and a carrera 2 a clean pair of heels, but its real boring! ive just given up and gone for smaller capacity turbo with minimal tuning and banked a load of cash. Keep the r27, put the niggles right and get it back to showroom condition and enjoy a future classic, cos in 10 years you will prob wish you had

Pete and Gaz, what you guys say is what im aware of thats what puts me off tonnes of torque. If i keep the Clio its gonna cost me this next 6 months, service, alloys wheels refurb, side sills respray, tax, insurance, mot blah blah! haha!

Pete and Gaz, what you guys say is what im aware of thats what puts me off tonnes of torque. If i keep the Clio its gonna cost me this next 6 months, service, alloys wheels refurb, side sills respray, tax, insurance, mot blah blah! haha!

your gonna have to pay to tax your next car, insurance on a 4wd turbo is prob gonna be more plus the whack you will pay on top of your r27 to change!!! My 197 was poverty spec so im not a hipocrit, but.... if i'd had a well specced 197 then with hindsight i would keep it and get all that work done and just keep a gorgeous well designed good handling car in a1 condition!! but, when you have the bug to change nothing will stop it. The only thing i will say is dont go R32.... a minimal tuned GTi will out perform both Mk4 and 5 R32, i dunno pal but dont forget you will be chucking thousands at replacing that sometimes we just forget about!!! thats a hell of a lot of services, wheel refurbs etc lol

Jap Import Civic Type-R FD2?

Although, without coilovers it will rattle your teeth out.

I miss my R27, and regret buying my R26, apart from when I'm on the motorway.

I have no idea what to get next. Turbo cars are very boring, very quickly

I loved my mk 1 focus rs, That was running 350bhp, Then had the subaru wr1 and found it to be the most boring car ever,

Was so looking forward to getting a NA again, I have the mrs fiesta and my van to drive so the 197 is just a toy,

This is hilarious.

I think you are making the right choice though :smile::smile:

I might get to see it next year then??? :smile::smile:

:hug:

Ya I have the same thing. had my R27 for 19 months and I was getting the itch to change... wanted a megane 250.

But as I said on another thread, I went on a test drive the megane was very quick but on the same road on the way home the clio was slower but much more fun! Im keeping my clio now im back in love with it :smile:

no i totally agree mate. clios are fun and cheap to maintain. what more do you want?

guy i do bits of work for drives a 370z, ive had a go and its wickedly fast but nothing in the corners like the clio