Why do cars feel faster when you are a passenger?

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Friend of mine has a Golf GTI edition 30.

Never driven it before, and as a passenger, it feels like a rocket, pushed back in the seat etc etc.

Drove it yesterday for the first time, and it doesn't feel as fast, but the owner in the passenger seat couldn't believe how fast it felt?!

I liked the Dixons Service Group gearbox too (sorry, I mean DSG :wink:)

I quite liked it, but I don't think i'd buy one.

Same in the 197/182 - feels faster as a passenger?

What's occurring?

I always hear less rattles in the passenger seat lol!!!

I think as a driver it feels faster tbh.

I think it's because when you're driving you're focusing on the road ahead. While as a passenger you're looking out the side window as well, and the trees rushing past give a greater impression of speed.

When accelerating etc as a driver, you know what you are going to do and subconsciously brace yoursel for it but as a passenger you dont. Hence the pinned back in seat effect etc!

Because you're not in control and don't know what the driver is about to do.

As the driver, you naturally prepare your body for accelaration, deceleration and corners.

Like, I never feel my drive belt lock - my passengers always do lol.

As the driver, you naturally prepare your body for accelaration, deceleration and corners.

True, but I have never driven a car this fast before, so don't know what to expect :wink:

But what if you are going at a constant speed on a motorway? There's no acceleration/direction change and yet it still feels faster to the passanger.

yeah, its because your not in control. You dont know what to expect, much like being on a rollercoaster for the first time.

Its probably not going faster than 80mph, but feels like your being raped by superman.

yup, i fully agree.

mate took me out in his newly acquired R26.R the other day. From the passenger seat, it felt mental quick. When I drove it, it didnt feel all that quick at all!

I also agree. My missus gets scared when I drive, but I get scared when she drives! Must be the same speed, but feels so much different.

Speed and the sensation of speed is a strange one. Planes do 500-600MPH...

I made my Dad squeal like a baby girl when I took him out in my FIAT Coupe 16VT. :smiley:

Saying that, is was about 250BHP and barely weighed more than the Clio. He's since returned the favour in his Impreza. :thumbup:

Try using cruise control on the motorway and keep pressing + making sure your in a low gear

:wink:

Certainly scared me a bit being the driver.

:smiley:.

Friend of mine has a Golf GTI edition 30.

Never driven it before, and as a passenger, it feels like a rocket, pushed back in the seat etc etc.

Drove it yesterday for the first time, and it doesn't feel as fast, but the owner in the passenger seat couldn't believe how fast it felt?!

A remap on one helps, the DSG box makes the process too smooth though so you don't get a real sense of the power imo

Massively faster than the Clio but at the same time feels less of an event because it's so Germanic-ally perfect.

A remap on one helps, the DSG box makes the process too smooth though so you don't get a real sense of the power imo

Massively faster than the Clio but at the same time feels less of an event because it's so Germanic-ally perfect.

I like to call it 'having no soul' :smiley:

nothing to hold on to is my reasoning.

Have you never found yourself holding on to the dash or handle that goes on roof above the window when being a passenger and someone puts their foot down....

Just human instinct if you ask me.

The Edition 30 is a quick car... and even a stage 1 remap (takes it up to about 290bhp) makes is much faster in a straight line than the majority of cars out there. Grumpy has driven mine and is fairly "Meh" about it, probably due to the QE2 like handling characteristics......

So yes... it will feel much quicker in a straight line than a clio rs200, mainly down to the massive whack you get from the fairly large turbo charger.

Mine did 14.14 @102MPH at santa pod, not sure how that compares to what a clio would do.

Similar Thread Suggestions