Why did you choose the Cliosport 197/200?

Had a Corsa D (The same shape as the VXR) and went to test drive a Arctic VXR. Test drove it and loved it. Thought I'd just go and see what Renault's version was like and I loved that even more. Felt a lot more planted and better to drive.

Also, after driving both cars, even though i loved my Corsa, it wasn't worth buying a VXR again. I wanted something different. Also, RS Clio's are less-common than VXRs.

I see so many VXR's around, they are just boring! Its the same with Cooper S.

Back in y2kish my younger bro had a mk2 sport, & his mate a 5gtt.

I had a bike back then that could, obviously 'lick' both of them...

But they both felt like driver's cars & had enough go & looks to have a 'presence' where ever they went.

Anyway nearly 10 yrs on, an ageing 4x4, no bike & slightly more cash... looking for something with a it more 'go'!

Top Gear did that bloody twingo thing!

I even booked a test drive for a Twingo... but changed it for a 197 by the date.

Kinda by default I think I have made the best choise!

Audis, VWs, Fords, Vauxhauls. Quick- poor handeling... Stick to 1/4mile! Too many plastics!Too Essex 4 me...

Mitsi, Subi - Quality power train, ok handeling, Too much plastic! & usually only come out of the garage for a wash & polish!

Bmw M3, Porsche 911, Mercs, Quality power train & usualy sensible looks... Unfortuatley driven by arse holes these days...

Personally, I like the subtle... does what it does & does it well. And, as the 197 is usually driven by a proper driver... I like to be the driver of a car that will put most vehicles & drivers in thier place with out compromise.

The 197(Clio) is, and always will be, a drivers car & never a status/Ego car!:thumbup:

Last edited:
I saw it when driving past the dealers drove it liked it brought it had no bloody dea what it was tbh but I now know

Although it is a little slow ... Next car will deffo have a turbo

Have had an e46 325i msport, rx8 , e36 M3 , astra 1.9tdsri , e46 320d , mondeo tdci ...
All these cars lol

To be fair I'm sure it's the yamaha r1 that makes the car feel slow though nothing beets a. Blast on that of a weekend

The main factor to me was:

From when it first came out i have never seen another car that just makes me go 'wow' when i look at it, when the R27 came out it made me want that bit more. And eventually i was going to buy a pre order a 200 but got a cracker of a deal on a mint example of a R27.

And still to this day i havn't found a car that when iv looked at for the first time and said 'wow'

Though I prefer the drive of a car, over the looks...

I parked in Culver street(jtn head st) in Colchester to post a letter, & when I came back to my car it looked AWSOME!

Maybe it was the street lighting or the cobbled streets, but it looked soooo wide from the rear.

Oi, no need to be rude! HA Ha...

So what would prefer to have spent your money on?

& why didnt' t you?

Flimsy French cars... The next best thing to expensive German track cars?

Last edited:
We love our hot hatches. We've had a Corsa VXR, was time to try the competition.

That and Emma has always loved Clios lol.

And another thing compared to my gf's cooper s (scahrged ) not turbo it has a MUCH bigger boot and more rear leg room

I an fit a double push chair in the boot of mine . Well before the cage went in that is

Que i told you it was a bad idea comments from missus lmfao

Well I had a budget in mind and was looking at Golf GTi's primarily but quickly realised that budget could only stretch to high-mileage examples....decided to look at 197's and found mine on Autotrader. Went up to the garage in Kirkcaldy to check it out - feel in love with it, low mileage within budget mint example. On the way home saw a black R27 on the M876 and decided it was fate! 1 year on, still a very happy customer:smile:

I went on an MSV RaceMaster day in Feb 2008, it was a present for Christmas 2007. For the first part of this I got to take a 197 Cup on track whilst the instructor talked me through the lines and braking points etc. Once I'd settled into things after about 3 laps, he let me open the car up a bit more and that was it. Hooked.

I had to have one. I couldn't believe how eager it was to rev and how good the brakes and turn in were. I liked the noise from the engine and found it such an engaging car to drive. Unfortunately, I didn't have the best of jobs at the time so it took me a job change and 2 years, but, I got one. Job done!!!

I was always a fan of Frenchies, I'd have walked through fire for an R5GTT, 205 GTi or a Williams when I was a kid... I was lucky enough to own a 205 GTi for six months before going a different way and getting a Puma 1.7. As long as Renaultsport keep churning out cars like they have done in recent years, I can't see me ever having anything else. Unless I get six numbers on the Lotto, but even then I'd still keep the Clio.

:smiley:

Just loved the renault nimbus pics when it first came out...........4 years on and alot of grovelling, as I always had the family car, the wife changed to family and I got my 197.

i originaly wanted corsa vxr but theyv got too many engine problems and i didnt wana risk the expence. my second choice was a white 197 went nearlt 3 hours drive to see it and the guy had a ly r27 in stock saw that and fell in love lol

what sold the car to me?

the looks of it to start with but then i got bored and changed a few things as you know.

the sheer performance when i booted it on the test drive it felt like a rocket (bare in mind i was used to driving a 1.2 campus sport 75 so it has 3 times the HP lol

handling was amazing on test now even better

all in all its a great alrounder u woulkdnt believe how many cars i tested before i bought the clio

cooper S works,
320D and 325i
astra nurburg edition and a normal vxr
corsa vxr
megane 230 and lux
alfa brera
VW golf mk5 2.0 TDI

and now i have ended up with my beloved clio (racecar project lol)

Saw my albi 197 at renault dealer, 07 plate with 5000 miles on it! It handles well beyond my capabilities, looks aggressive and is fast enough to embarrass mr chav in his corsa/nova/fiesta ****e heap.