Whats the difference between the 197 & 200 engine...??

Now I am sure they are the same however, the general thought is more mid grunt in the 200. But doesn't this just come from the better gearing of the 200's gearbox..? also I recently put a set of 200 clocks in my 197, and it had 29mpg....I've never seen past 21.5mpg???? Are they mapped different or again is it just the gearbox?

Last edited:
Now I thought nothing however, the general thought is more mid grunt. But doesn't this come from the better gearing of the gearbox..? also I recently put a set of 200 clocks in my 197, and it had 29mpg....I've never seen past 21.5mpg???? Are they mapped different or again is it just the gearbox?

I can't answer the differences because im not 100% sure but you must have a heavy right foot if you have never seen past 21.5mpg! lol. I was getting 32.9 the other day :headphone:

I've doubled your mpg on a long run! Have seen about 44mpg at 60mph cruise.

Engines are different, they have a different head for sure. Not sure on other differences though

Eh....not heavy at all. 32.9 in a 197?????

Yeah, and i usually have a heavy foot.. But was doing a long journey and petrol was near 150.9 where i was going so thought i'd try take it easy to save fuel. Could have gotten a load better MPG but it was a really twisty road so up and down gears had to be done.

externally the engines are the same - had a right good poke round a 200 - the internals of the head are "tweeked" - think its to do with valve/combustion design and the rest of the grunt is by ecu changes and the gearing

28.9 for my 08 Cup.

And I live in the middle of town and don't almost ever drive on the M-Way.

What fuel do you use? (as in super/reg)

to get more than 21/22mpg you must be changing gear very early, i gotta hit at least 3000rpm before i change gear, idling/driving in slow traffic i get 17mpg which to me didn't make sense at all

Last edited:
I get around 25mpg but my journey to work is quite slow, plus like the sound now I have had the mid silencer taken out.
I also have the earlier/shorter gearbox 06 plate

I see 30 mpg, mainly A/B road driving, 40 mile round trip. If your seeing less than 25 your car must do lots of start/stop driving over short distances. Current 197 is an 08 cup, old one was an early 06 used to see around 28 mpg over the same journey.

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back to life because I am seeing lots more people raving about how much better the 200 is over the 197 and I cant help but feel it might be tad over hyped?

I hold my hands up and say I have only driven a 197 and not the 200 but surely the minor tweaks that have been done to the 200 cant be that drastic that its like a totally different car.

Just feels like to me the old argument, because its newer its got to be better.

Might have to see for myself because I never found anything wrong with the 197.

Now i'm more used to my 197 i might go and test drive a 200 to see.

Now i know how to rev em hard :blink: