Whats the difference between ...

porsche_gregory

Platinum Member
Right im a total tard when it comes to most things, and so wondering if some1 could just make this a little clearer for me.

Whats the difference between....

Halogen, Xenon & HID's

Please advise and give the idiots guide explaination !!!!

halogen are your bog standard bulb (main beam, full beam, fog lights, cornering lights), zenon are a option (on clio) in place of the main beam, uses a choke to ignite the different type of gas in the bulb compare to halogen, better type of light which you can tell by the light bit of blue you can see in the light (depending on the colourisation. ie 4300K/5000K/6000K/8000K) and will have headlight washers in the bumper and projector style headlights. HIDs are xenon but is widely used phrase for aftermarket xenon kits to replace the halogen version. hope you got all that.

Cheers Ryan !!

So HIDs are just another name for aftermarket Xenons, correct ??

Im looking to get an R27 with projectors and washers in bumper, so i will have Xenons, correct ??

Finally do you know what the "K" rating is on factory Xenons as i would like Really Bright Ice White ??

Thanks for the help !!

Don't forget on the Clio, in addition to the halogen and xenon options there are also projector lights. Look like xenons but have a conventional bulb behind the lens and don't have headlamp wash.

they are a 4300K d2s bulb, which i replaced ages ago with a 8000K d2s bulbs off ebay.

so if the car has got projectors with washer in the bumper does that mean I have deffinately got Xenons or not ??

I dont know yet as only test drove the car in the day and cant really remember, hopfully pickin the car up on friday !!

So from the factory 4300K bulbs what sort of look would i get from that, is it still guna b abit yellow or white ??

Aprreciate the advice, as im a total dingbat !!

I'm guessing this is a 197 then? if it has washers built into the bumper then it will have xenons.

If it's a Clio 200 then you cannot get xenons... only projectors (cornering lights) with normal Halogen bulbs.

Hope this helps.

4300k are mostly yellow with a slight touch of white and blue. if its got headlight washers then deffinately xenons.

Yeah its a 197 R27 Gooooood stuff:thumbup:

So how easy will it for me to upgrade the bulbs from 4300K to something abit more white (what "k" am i best looking for and is the any picture guides), i wana go really bright white, not wanting anything to blue tho!!

No yellow in my oem xenons, and non in my old Evo 9 xenons either, both ran 4300k lamps as standard :smile:

Intact I had our lass following me the other day in the Clio and you can tell they are xenons from a mile away as they are so white compared to other cars :smile:

Last edited: