What made you buy Renault ??

My cousin bought his 182 and raved about it for a while I jumped it in instantly love them so got myself a 172 had that for 18 months then the clutch have up and got rid of it had my heart set on a 197 or 200 but the gearbox issues put me off so went and got myself R26 instead Convinced my mate to buy a RS and he got a 172 today and the mrs got herself a AG 200 last month

Last edited:
I remember seeing the Trophy and BMW M6 on the front cover of Evo Magazine and reading in awe of how a little hatch back could be such a giant killer.

But what made me buy my first 197 was when I came out the bank and seen one parked up in Racing Blue (it was the dealers demo as it was 2006 just when they were released) and think 'that looks like a bloody touring car for the road with its fat arches etc.

Bought one (ultra red), it was a total friday car being a brand new platform etc.

I didn't loose faith as it was brilliant fun so I traded it in in 2008 for the Cup when it was released and loved it…I still wonder why i ever slod that car !

After a good few months of purely using the vans and missing track days and I bought my 225, i doubt ill ever not have a hot hatch !!!

I ended up selling my Astra VXR for a Fabia vRS as I went through a I must grow up stage, kept that for 18 months but couldn't get along with the linear power delivery and the DSG taking the fun out of driving.

I've always love the Clio's since they were released and watching the cup race cars supporting the BTCC watching them cock a back wheel and slide around corners. Ended up getting a better job in the motor trade and got to drive a Twingo Sport and Clio 182, and loved how they handled, and then decided to look at a 200, but it had to be the right spec, Racing Blue, Recaro's and Speedlines, 5 months after first looking and a fair few miles around the country one turned up at a local car supermarket less than 3 miles away, 1 owner, FSH, and looked really well looked after so I bit the bullet.

Instantly I've gelled with the car unlike me Fabia, and am now finding myself finding excuses to go out in my car, even if it is just for a random drive, I absolutely love it!

Before I passed my test I always said if I had unlimited money and could buy five cars, one of them would be a V6 Clio. I just loved how crazy they looked and the whole idea behind them.

After that the 197 came out, I realised I wouldn't be able to afford buy let alone maintain a V6 so I set my sights on a 197 and got a few years no claims behind me.

Originally I wanted a Racing Blue cup, as is never seen a Liquid Yellow here. Someone got in touch saying they knew of a Liquid Yellow for sale, I viewed / test drove it once and bought it a few days later...

I helped out a local race team that race fiesta ST's and one of their drivers bought a cup car, so was instantly put in and around the clio cup paddock. The way these cars sounded and getting to know the cars even better and each out time we went racing, made me want one.
At the time I was driving a Cupra R, but knew I wanted a 197 as the 200 was too expensive! Found a lovely 197 FF in racing blue that was a one owner car. Over the two years I owned it, I tweeked it into the car that looked and played hard!.....just not hard enough for a L200 that t-boned me!
So the RB got written off, I was gutted, but I had some money floating about that I put with my insureance money and I found a storm grey 200 with a full cup pack and the megane conversion.... I had to have it and so it proudly sits on the drive!

I decided I wanted a 200 for track use after all the good reviews
i ended up buying a rs200t and it's the most boring drivers car I've ever had
apart from all the problems with it it has never even gave me a tingle down below yet as it is so boring as a hot hatch - drivers car I have only drove it for two days in the last 3 months as I tend to use my old r34 skyline as my daily driver now
wish I had never bought it but being baw deep in how much I paid for it I keep hanging onto it
drove a old 200 and they are awesome round track so not slagging of renaults only the rs200t
thanks don r

Straight line speed is something you can hardly ever use on our roads in cape town, with speed cams on every single road worth flooring it in a straight line... With all the mountain passes we have, I started looking something with a more focused suspension... Drive the 197 once, and I was hooked like a crack addict! Can't see myself changing brands ever! Even if I did, there would need to be at least 1 RS in the driveway...

Always loved Renault sports, and had my eyes set oj one since college days! Finally reaching an age where i can afford one i had to go for it. Have a UR 197 now and loved it!