What Fuel Do You Use?

The cheapest super unleaded is 142.9 near me. (Momentum)

Cheapest vpower is 146.9

Massive difference.

Btw, if anyone doesn't know this, subscribe to petrol prices.com and they'll email you every week with the cheapest fuel in a set mile radius.

Whats funny is that I always thought I was getting my fuel at the cheapest place in my area, but it turns out there is a Tesco only a few miles away that are half a penny cheaper!

I just go to the Morrisons 2 miles away from me, its the cheapeast and i don't have a car that needs a Higher RON fuel as of yet, as I wont see the differences much (106 Gti)

Whats funny is that I always thought I was getting my fuel at the cheapest place in my area, but it turns out there is a Tesco only a few miles away that are half a penny cheaper!

I just go to the Morrisons 2 miles away from me, its the cheapeast and i don't have a car that needs a Higher RON fuel as of yet, as I wont see the differences much (106 Gti)

I know I havent had my 200 long (2 weeks) but Ive put both types of unleaded in and cant tell the difference. It says on the inside of the petrol flap that 95RON is acceptable so thats what its getting.

Whilst on the subject of different fuels Fifth Gear did a test on 5 types the other night including 2 of the 99RON fuels, and they did'nt think it was worth the extra being charged either.

Great tip on the petrolprices.com site 8)

I always and only use VPower, I have absolutely no idea about mpg and quite frankly couldn't care less.

The extra few quid per tank is nothing considering the extra additives, lubricants and cleansers that are added to VPower. Plus my missus gets a regular £40-50 in Debenhams vouchers for my points.

I always use Sainsburys Super and VPower. I went to BP with the dealer and filled it up to the brim with BP ultimate so I know it's always been ran on higher RON fuel.

I have used £10 Morrisons normal when I'm 30 miles in to the petrol light and probably going to run out.

Last edited:
I know I havent had my 200 long (2 weeks) but Ive put both types of unleaded in and cant tell the difference. It says on the inside of the petrol flap that 95RON is acceptable so thats what its getting.

Whilst on the subject of different fuels Fifth Gear did a test on 5 types the other night including 2 of the 99RON fuels, and they did'nt think it was worth the extra being charged either.

Great tip on the petrolprices.com site 8)

i might just try the cheaper stuff....to see if i can tell the difference/mpg and also i am over my fuel bidget :blink:

Remember people.... YOU may not notice the difference (performance/MPG) but YOUR CAR will definately notice the difference over time!!

Engine lubrication and cleansers are just as important to me as performance and mpg. But that's just me :wink:

Remember people.... YOU may not notice the difference (performance/MPG) but YOUR CAR will definately notice the difference over time!!

Engine lubrication and cleansers are just as important to me as performance and mpg. But that's just me :wink:

+1 and well said, said it before but putting cheap petrol in your car is like Usain Bolt living off McDonalds.

+1 and well said, said it before but putting cheap petrol in your car is like Usain Bolt living off McDonalds.

i shall make sure it gets a decoke at 7800rpm :hug:

ive used tesco fuel and asda fuel..... personally the asda fuel lasts around 2 days longer in the tank, driving pretty much the same, i dont bother checking mpg because it does my head in.

Like pointed out earlier in the thread

Look for this weeks 5th gear where again they test the premium fuels

sadly momentum 99 wasn't tested but VPower ron 98? i thought it was now 99 but apparently not.

Like pointed out earlier in the thread

Look for this weeks 5th gear where again they test the premium fuels

sadly momentum 99 wasn't tested but VPower ron 98? i thought it was now 99 but apparently not.

Not seen it but what so they test, I presume power and mpg. Do they test the effect on the engine after so many thousand miles.

iirc they tested
Vpower
Esso (premuium fuel i forget the name)
bp ultimate
bp normal
asda (cheapest they could find on the day)

they ran a golf gti on a rr with the engine been fed from a can and just tested BHP output

Vpower was best JUST ahead of esso (0.1bhp iirc), they were roughly 4bhp better than bp ultimate which was about 0.4bhp better than bp normal which was roughly 0.1bhp better than asda

i think asda was about 10p per ltr cheaper than vpower on the day.

But like i have pointed out i run momentum or vpower simply for its cleaning properties.

Sadly they didn't test that but did say it was cleaner and preserve the engine iirc.

Interesting, gonna have to see that episode.

It would be fair to say that most cars are mapped from the factory to run on 95 ron, if you're, car its mapped to run on higher octane then you'll see better returns on performance

I only use vpower at shell again for the benefit of the car.

don't think it makes much odds but i don't like mixing it up using shell, bp, tesco etc.

Similar Thread Suggestions