What car to buy :S HELP

You are right, i didn't answer your question.

The handling,the looks and the fact that its rare.

It turned out a lot more than that though...except for the reliability..but i can live with that. :thumbup1:

Same here, the handling is truely immense and everywhere I go in mine people look, its a great looking car, one of a few from every angle!
Buy mine and you'll see :thumbup:

I've mentioned it before and i'll say it again..

The 197 is race car with its casual clothes on, not the other way around like most sports cars.
That is something very rare and priceless.

this is so true.
This is why nothing else in it's class can match it in the twisties and it's the best hot hatch money can buy .
I've had quick cars before but there is just something about the Clio and the way it makes you feel.
I've had mine for 3.5 years now and I still grin like a big kid when driving it.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking.?

Thats because most people have the sense not to buy a Renault :smiley:

We did consider all 3 of those cars though, we didn't test the Type R coz I couldn't stand the dash and Gem couldn't stand the front of it. We did test a VXR though and while it was a nice car and pretty quick imo its doesn't handle aswell or as confidently. But more importantly we just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the 197, it left us feeling underwhelmed. We tested the 197 and imediated loved it and got out with a massive smile on our faces.

IMO you buy a hot hatch with your heart, so my advice would be test all 3 and then get the one that makes you feel like a kid the most :smile:

Last edited:
I dont agree with build problems. All the Japanese cars ive owned (two brand new) had far worse build quality than my Clio!

thats true the handling of the car is great, but would you say its noticable on the roads? i very much doubt my car would ever see a track

"If you don't know what Cup means, it's probably not for you" < Maybe Renault invented at catch line for you :lol:

In all seriousness though mate, when you want to take the car by the scruff of the neck on a b-road blast (which you will) you WILL notice how good it is, and it is as simple as that.

I test drove a VXR before I got the 197 and I just couldn't wait to get out and go home. I wasn't impressed in the slightest.

I test drove a 197, and had to buy it, and that was the difference mate.

I bought one because I kept seeing one every day (a LY one)

It knawed and knawed at me and I caved in and test drove one.
The rest is history. And I owned a Zetec S and a Saxo - they ARE proper tat!

I've never liked the new Type R's, but I like the old one

The VXR are too uncomfy for me, I had one for a week and drove about 2500 miles in it in that time, and it was painful on my knees.

On a daily basis (I drive about 240 miles a day for work) I regularly see 5 VXR's, 2 Type R's and just 1 197 now :smile:

I can safely agree with everything said before. The clio is immense I have only driven the others after buying the 197 and I am confident I made the right choice! There is no question in my mind!

I bought mine when I wasn't even looking a buying a car, I heard that Car PPL had one in so I just went for a cheeky test drive. I put the deposit down and picked it up 5 days later - best decision I have ever made though. I completely fell in love with it and I had only driven it for 10 mins. Make sure you go for all of the bells and whistles (the Recaros are superb).

Oh and its liquid yellow! Which is a big part of my reasoning! Turns so many heads you would not believe!

Gotta be the clio everyday of the week!

No offence but you don't really get wht i mean,and you're not really supposed to unless you have lived a little bit with a 197.

It's not (only) about the handling,it's the whole experience that gives you this ''race car'' feeling...As i said,you need to live it to understand it..

+1 this car is seriously a race car, the feel of it, the power, stability, grip, speed through bends, 4pot brembos is to good! Ive driven most of the cars in the same class and some above, and for fun and thrills, looks, attention nothing is as good imo! Such a good car. Mine is off the road and wont get it back for a few weeks and i really miss it! Driving a few other cars really shows you what the clio is about, its basically a race car on the road. It is constantly telling you to put your foot down. Best car ive ever owned tbh, ill never sell it. Its a car that the more you live with it, you 'understand' what the car is about and you understand it, i think its a very under rated car tbh.

I have the F1 edition just for reference.

Hope you find the car you want.

I wanted a Corsa Artic, but they seem to fall apart if you look at the forums.
eat wheel bearings and have lean running issues.

Now I am not saying renaults have good build, but it seems better than the VXR.
the other thing which put me off the VXR was the younger owner ship, goto the forum and it is all text speak, init, man, mate etc being 40 I think I would look a bit out of place at a VXR meet up lol.

I can buy any car I feel like to a point, but have owned 4 clio's now 172, 182, Trophy and now the F1, all are great fun and can put a smile on your face.
but like the two above me I had to have a LY one :smile:

Last edited:
Are we talking about the new Civic or the older one?

I had my heart set of a Seat Leon Cupra R, test drove one and was not sure. Got told there was a 197 for sale so went and had a look, went out for a test drive and the sales man was a nutter, even offered to show me what it can really do haha

At the end of the test drive I signed on the line, for me it was the combination of the price, toys that the car comes with and the performance.

How can you beat push start? HOW! Hehe such a cool thing to have.

Anyway if it was my money and loved power (as I do) I would not be looking at a Corsa or Civic :bored:, my list would be Megane, S3, Seat etc

I wanted a Corsa Artic, but they seem to fall apart if you look at the forums.
eat wheel bearings and have lean running issues.

Now I am not saying renaults have good build, but it seems better than the VXR.
the other thing which put me off the VXR was the younger owner ship, goto the forum and it is all text speak, init, man, mate etc being 40 I think I would look a bit out of place at a VXR meet up lol.

I can buy any car I feel like to a point, but have owned 4 clio's now 172, 182, Trophy and now the F1, all are great fun and can put a smile on your face.
but like the two above me I had to have a LY one :smile:

Dunno what site your talking about mate. As thats not how it is on VXRonline. Those guys are a superb bunch.

Stereotyping are we?

Last edited:
I personally drove my friends VXR before I decided, it was wet, spent 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear wheel spinning. Even in the dry it wasnt much better. The styling is very max power looking and because its made by vauxhall it'll be worth nothing at about 3 yrs old.

I never considered the Type-R because they're so common, next time you sit on your couch feel down the back of the cushion, there could be a couple Type-Rs in there. If I was to buy a civic, it would have to be the EP shape, and trying to find one nowadays thats got a decent mileage and hasnt been molested is tough. Better chance finding an unmolested Mitsi Evo. If you are gonna go down that road get a DC5 Integra Type-R.

I worked at a Renault dealership at the time so had driven the clio, took one out to properly tear it to bits up a straight and 120+ on the way back went into an almost hairpin way to fast, maybe 60mph, hammered on the breaks, dont mind admitting my heart was racing as I was sure I was going off. However, out the corner i came, still alive, Clio Lux model in one piece and a big grin and my heart racing.

100% True, mind was made up. I was buying a 197, not that one as it was very expensive. Fate found my clio, but thats another story. :thumbup:

I used to work at Sainsburys, whilst I was waiting to start my current job I was looking around at cars. Looked at everything, VXRs, Type Rs, 182s, infact I really had my heart set on a 182. Then my manager bought a red 197. The second I saw it in the flesh I had to have one. So as soon I started my current job and thus could afford it lol, I went out and got one, in red, just like my old managers lol. It turns so many heads, even though it's just a standard 197. Always get comments when I'm filling up at the petrol station. And it handles like a dream, so much infact that when I took out my mate in it, he went down to Renault the next day and ordered a 200 loool. Get one and you won't regret it, SIMPLE AS!

i didn't consider anything other than a 200, however when i bought my 197 my mate had a VXR and i tested a R.

he is my 2p which buying a 197 and 200 is probably worth half a p.

so i have a corsa sport before they did the vxr range and what put me off was my cam belt going and vauxhall washing there hands of me but what i will say is if you want a shouty car then the VXR is the way to go.

for me it looks like its been driven into halfords on fire backwards (yes i have the cup spoiler) and is clearly marketed at the young uk market. on an uphill circuit it will lap the quickest of the 3 judging on my mates but should it meet a corner you are knackered. not that it wont handle, it just doesn't handle consistently.

as for the 197, lets face it its a girls car, chic and sexy with curves. sedate until provoked and lacks low down torque, so as you will be doing so few miles it may not be for you, unless you are intending to thrash it when cold!!! What it does do is go round corners. The amount of speed you can carry into, round and out with ease is unbelievable.

As for the R, its a bit of an in-betweeny looks nice, build quality, needs thrashing and handles well. However the seats don't go back if someone gets in the back, you can see bugger all out the back and whist the dash is a bit space aged i couldn't help but think they had used a catapult to place stuff with.

all 3 have good and bad points mate, one of your major decisions is do you want to turbo or none, that will narrow it down.

what i will say is i get an immense amount of pleasure of our having the rev counter zipping right round.

good luck mate what ever you choose will be the right decision for you.

I used to own a Corsa and bought a Clio (allbeit, it wasn't a VXR, but it was the same shape as the VXR just with a 1.4 engine instead) and i much prefer the Clio. It just feels so much better than i think a Corsa ever could.

I'm 20, so really im in the "old" game, I'd say the average age for Clio owners is a lot older than that of Corsa VXR owners, as most of the "old guys" move up to the Astra on the VXR side.

Im not sure why it is, as i prefer the Clio to the Corsa and im not that old.. *shrug*

BUT, going back to the original thread, I'd go for the Clio. Hands down, no doubts about it.

someone who works with me lives next to a lady whos got an m5 her husbads got an m3 and her son they bought him a corsa vxr arctic...

well hes had 2 of these cars as a piston has shot through the engin on both... one within the space of a week of getting the car!!! might be bad luck but it put me off big time.

saying this before buying the clio i looked at a vxr astra nur... really nice car and sounds amazing. but a bit expensive tbh

someone who works with me lives next to a lady whos got an m5 her husbads got an m3 and her son they bought him a corsa vxr arctic...

well hes had 2 of these cars as a piston has shot through the engin on both... one within the space of a week of getting the car!!! might be bad luck but it put me off big time.

saying this before buying the clio i looked at a vxr astra nur... really nice car and sounds amazing. but a bit expensive tbh

Think you can put that down to the driver, most likely hammering it from cold.

BUT, going back to the original thread, I'd go for the Clio. Hands down, no doubts about it.

Not would go for, did go for :-p

So far its going the way people predicted. The Clio owners are saying get the Clio, VXR owners are saying get the Corsa.

All for the same reasons. Clio folk are saying the Corsa is unreliable, Corsa folk are saying the Clio is unreliable.

Clio folk are saying their cars are rarer, the Corsa drivers are saying their cars is rarer. Tis almost comical

However, after looking at both threads (On here and on VXRonline), the only plus point the Corsa has over the Clio is its tuning ability.

Last edited: