Weight Saving Ideas

Think I read somewhere that saving 1kg off a wheel is like saving 4x the amount else where, wheels are a good weight saving mod although not cheap! Loving the 172 strippage, anyone got scales so we can weigh parts?

Searching for something, and I've got across this and thought it would be good to share in this thread:

yes..i'm always without rear seats

rear seats (-20/25kg)
front box passenger (-3kg)
inox exhaust (-10kg)
antifog light (-1kg)
internal front doors panel (-8kg)
ultraleggera (-8kg:drool:smile:
some plastic under the bonnet (-1kg)
less wiper liquid..0.5 lt. instead 5 lt. (-4kg)
stereo and speaker (-2.5kg)

Another interesting one to add to the list is:

De-cup spoilering the car will save you 3.250Kgs. Thats quite a shocking saving imo.

Just thought I'd stick it up as I found this out when posting my old cup spoiler to Chris today.

Reactions: Doogle
And some consolodation from various other weight saving threads:

KW Clubsports are 1.7Kgs lighter than standard Cup suspension.

OZ Ultraleggeras are 8.4Kgs (4 wheels) lighter than standard Speedlines

Recaro Pole Positions are 14.4Kgs (2 seats) lighter than standard Recaros

Removal of back seats will save 19.2Kgs

Akrapovic exhuast will save 7Kgs (estimate) over standard exhaust

Total saved 38.3Kgs

If you consider that the Cup is 46Kgs lighter than the FF then if you Cup your FF (Remove aircon, electric mirrors etc) then you could see a savng of 84.3Kgs (Which is quite a bit).

Further removal of door cards for carbon badboys will see a weight saving of 4.8Kgs (7.8Kgs-2.8Kgs)

Stereo and speaker removal saving of 2.5Kgs.

Removal of front fogs saving of 1Kg

0.5l of window spray instead of filling the bottle will see a saving of 4Kgs

Not filling the fuel tank all the way up (Quarter tank instead of full tank) weight saving of 32Kgs

Total saving of the above: 128.6Kgs

Thats a lot.

And some consolodation from various other weight saving threads:

KW Clubsports are 1.7Kgs lighter than standard Cup suspension.

OZ Ultraleggeras are 8.4Kgs (4 wheels) lighter than standard Speedlines

Recaro Pole Positions are 14.4Kgs (2 seats) lighter than standard Recaros

Removal of back seats will save 19.2Kgs

Akrapovic exhuast will save 7Kgs (estimate) over standard exhaust

Total saved 38.3Kgs

If you consider that the Cup is 46Kgs lighter than the FF then if you Cup your FF (Remove aircon, electric mirrors etc) then you could see a savng of 84.3Kgs (Which is quite a bit).

Further removal of door cards for carbon badboys will see a weight saving of 4.8Kgs (7.8Kgs-2.8Kgs)

Stereo and speaker removal saving of 2.5Kgs.

Removal of front fogs saving of 1Kg

0.5l of window spray instead of filling the bottle will see a saving of 4Kgs

Not filling the fuel tank all the way up (Quarter tank instead of full tank) weight saving of 32Kgs

Total saving of the above: 128.6Kgs

Thats a lot.

Now thats a healthy reduction but I reckon you could hit 130kg if you have a good dump too... :wink:

But the rear seat of the cup is just a bench. Does that really weigh 19kgs or is that the ff one?

Am not sure tbh. I just used that figure as a few folk have quoted it.

19Kgs isnt really a lot tbh. If you take both parts of the rear seats them it'd probably be close to 19Kgs.

The battery is a great idea as it frees space and saves good weight. An itg maxogen over standard airbox etc must save a couple of kgs too, could battery, itg and covers removed save 14kg?