200: *WARNING* to all 200 owners! Everyone should read

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT! I though they were fitting a total new engine! Even a recon engine won't be that surly?

I just imagine the bill.

30 x 40mm screws
24 x 35mm bolts
18 x 75mm self tapping screws

Blah, blah, blah

On that you should get 3 prices, rebuild, reconditioned and new

Perhaps [MENTION=8494]smithandroper[/MENTION] can tell you how much a recon engine and new engine would be from Renault.

At 5k it would be cheaper to meg

I would go buy a megane at that price!!!

There's no parts faults according to them...yet on the estimate bill there's an alternator and a/c pump...

They must think i sit on a plastic table and colour in all day with the things they've told me. I'm going to post on Renaultsport forum shortly also, and CS. Get it on all forums.

The amount of work this car has had carried out, with the exhaust manifold and gearbox on separate occasions, it's had 2 full strip downs TWICE! Including the subframe coming off. So I'm sorry, the chances of a mechanic damaging a part over a stone some how causing this failure is much more likely, and of course he's going to deny damaging a part, he may have even done it unknowingly.

must have been a big stone to damage the pulley so much that the belt went in to cam belt housing...

sure it wasn't an air con compressor pulley bearing failure that caused it???

Ill post the picture up now, the dent is on the pulley, so that's where I'm at. It was either damaged caused by the a/c pump when it failed and let all the gas out, which they haven't diagnosed it properly, they didn't even change the belt as precaution. Or the other option, a mechanic has damaged it with a tool; even unknowingly.

But they seem addiment they haven't missed anything and a mechanics hasn't damaged anything.

This is the damaged pulley

d8a7c550c15dfe3425cc25bbf99a3ef0_zps01fbcf14.gif

f9b17f3d224fa5f26ae4e4ec1b76d0c2_zpsf4ecbdb9.gif

this apparently is what the stone has done... caused the whole engine to fail apparently. They said the stone had caused the engine to fail instantly, whereas my opinion is that they've done this damage, or the a/c pump has done this damage when it failed, causing the belt to wear over time, not "instantly fail" like they are saying.

can others confirm that pulley in the picture is the a/c? This is what they're trying to tell me is the crank pulley. As if it's a different pulley that's failed, not the one that has caused this issue (a/c failing originally, which has been missed)

if that makes sense?

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, and these are the genuine pictures Renault sent to their HQ to decide the outcome, 2 blurry pictures

No damaged undertray or arch lining. These are the ones I took, to argue that nothing is broken

c752ef1b6b78c3cd3c1b0cb4d241d850_zps12dca71a.jpg

eb20eff11d2d52919b83fce2be2745a5_zps1dc3eccd.jpg

70e74cc4e45d9d2c9562c28de66c3e82_zpsc4507772.jpg

[MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION] sorry to hear this mate, it sounds like the dealer is taking the mic.

I have copied this thread across to Renaultsport just to raise the profile of this case a bit more, totally disgusting.

I just wonder how hard a stone has to be to damage those v-groove ribs on the a/c pulley...do they realise that to do that damage the trajectory of the stone would have to come from the rear of the engine bay/wheel arch...

what I would say is they do break easy if your ham fisted removing the pulley or putting the belt on...done it a few times on Peugeots which have the same set up...the edges of the ribs can break off

is there a further damage round on the pulley on the second picture?

Last edited:
on the left crankshaft damper/pulley on the lower right air con compressor hub/clutch and the auto tensioner in the middle

They have NO pure explanation to how this has happened, so it's beyond me how they've just decided to dump the costs on the consumer..

The facts are, the car has had 2 big front end strip downs, and then another strip/diagnosis of the failed a/c pump. They've done all the servicing, everything. I haven't even lifted the bonnet on the car, it's only them that's been near it

The car has been fine with 'stones' for 33,000 miles, and them soon as I receive the car back from them, I get a failure on the side they've been messing with

its bollox fella...never heard of anything like this in all the years I have been in the motor trade...failures like that are either a faulty belt/pulley or as you say a slip/cock up from a mechanic!

had to repair a diesel Peugeot when a mechanic at work "lost" a timing cover nut...we never found the nut but the auxillairy belt had a nice hexagon shape punched through it in several places :001_rolleyes:

Last edited:
And this is my arguments, accidents happen. If they turned around and admitted fault, yes I'd be angry, but as long as it got sorted by them I wouldn't really have issues, I'd have positive things to say that they've sorted it out etc, but the fact that they expect me to pay £5.5K+ for an issue they have no facts for, it's disgusting.

I told them that going down this route will seriously damage their reputation, and I'm going to make sure everyone knows about how they deal with customers.

RENFAULT

DO NOT USE;

Callow Marsh Renault
Ross Road
Callow
Hereford
HR2 8BT

WELCOME TO CALLOW MARSH

We are proud that this family owned business has delivered to the county of Herefordshire and its surrounding counties a quality service for over 50 years.

By continually responding to the demands of its customers, Callow Marsh Ltd draws upon an established strong reputation founded on traditional hands-on qualities associated with a private family business and the up to date technology and stability of a large group, ensuring the continued success of the business.

what a joke

Last edited:
I hope you get this sorted fella,
My first thought was it'd be nigh on impossible to hit that pulley and cause that damage (whilst it's spinning!) with an air rifle.. not to mention a stone!.
I can't see it ever going far in court, it's so far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.