want to put my ff 200 on diet...need help

Nodders, did you see my link a few posts above? What ya reckon?

I even think I could convert their winder kit to run electrically.

Its definately a good shout for lightening the car considerably. Would help with lowering the cars centre of gravity.

I think for a daily driver I'd perhaps keep the windscreen as is and get the rest changed. Definately something I'll be considering in a few years when the 200 will be used primarily as a track car.

To keep the electric winding up would also be very handy.

Wouldn't plastic windows reduce the rigidity of the car making it less safe in an accident? Maybe not ideal for road use without a cage

Side windows wont help in a crash or for rigidity, if there was boy twisting they would break. TBH in a crash they do more damage when the shatter, at least poly ones wouldn't.

Wouldnt bother IMO, even if you traded in for a cup it aint that much weight difference and unless you are race driver quick, i mean actual pro race driver you are never going to exploit the difference it will give you on a track.

It makes me laugh that Renault tout the cup as "more track focused", if it was more track focused it would have a roll cage fitted and an LSD. It just a marketing ploy. Id say 95% cup and FF owners wouldnt see any difference in lap times with each car.

Go on a diet, have a dump and pratice hard on the track with an egg cup full of fuel if you want to be quicker.. :blush:)

what front seats have you got? even the recaros are unbelievibly heavy

and you do notice the difference between a cup and ff. i test drove a ff with a cup chassis and brought a proper cup and the different was massive to me

Wouldnt bother IMO, even if you traded in for a cup it aint that much weight difference and unless you are race driver quick, i mean actual pro race driver you are never going to exploit the difference it will give you on a track.

It makes me laugh that Renault tout the cup as "more track focused", if it was more track focused it would have a roll cage fitted and an LSD. It just a marketing ploy. Id say 95% cup and FF owners wouldnt see any difference in lap times with each car.

Go on a diet, have a dump and pratice hard on the track with an egg cup full of fuel if you want to be quicker.. :blush:)

If you could copy the 26r format for little £££ then why not?

If you could copy the 26r format for little £££ then why not?

love that idea...but keep it useable daily too.
The following is an idea...and guesstimate weight savings.
Based on my cup with no options.

Rear poly screen, wiper removed,dont think it can stay. 10kgs

3/4 glass replaced by poly screens. 5kgs

Rear seat removed,harness bar weld/bolt in. 5kgs

Lightweight seats and subframes and 4 point harnesses fitted, seatbelts removed. 20kgs

Carbon doorcards fitted. Sound deadening and speakers removed. 8kgs

oz ultraleggara wheels. 8kgs

Exhaust. 7kgs

Sabelt steering wheel/boss, rear parcel shelf, boot carpet. 2kgs

Guestimate saving is 65kg plus the 36kg saving from factory.
Makes the cup approx 1139kgs.

Obviously you could take it further...but lots more cash..ala..carbon bonnet, carbon roof n 2 piece discs...saves another 19-20kgs.

Feel free to flame as im no expert!

Last edited:
and you do notice the difference between a cup and ff. i test drove a ff with a cup chassis and brought a proper cup and the different was massive to me[/QUOTE said:
Could the difference be explained by differeing fuel levels in the cars or perhaps one having a loser engine tho??

My point is only that most people are pretty average on the track so couldnt exploit the full potential and absolute limit of both cars with consitency lap after lap.

Just did a bit of google research, not 100% reliable but roughly 100 pounds (45KG) only equals .10 seconds (average) in the quarter mile. With the Cup being around 36K lighter its safe to say there is nothing in it but the driver.

Last edited:
i think theres different levels of extremness you can go. i have got recaros and i rekon they are abit heavy. im already pretty light. i dont mind bits coming off its when i come to sell the car i want to be able to put the bits back. rear seats could go, i could look into the windows, maybe carbon bonnet? and speakers and and trim at rear could go, one side is saying take off little bits and the other strip it naked and go for it

Dont forget thou...the lighter it is, the easier it will also be on brakes and tires and this would certainly help around a track.
But ultimately driver skill..as already stated..counts.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider is your own weight! :tongueout:

Not suggesting you're overweight but for anyone thinking about weight saving on their car its a good place to start.

Good point. As an example, I weight 95kg and could probably lose at least 10kg if I really wanted to... how much would this cost in carbon fibre? hahaha!

last year i was 12.5 stone now im just over 10,if i lose anymore il look like a skeleton

Really - that's good going mate! Since owning the Clio I have put on a stone! Lol! Need to get out on my mountain bike some more.