want to put my ff 200 on diet...need help

after having my exhaust and remap fitted it does feel a fare bit faster but as always people tend to want even more power. i dont want to spend money on engine mods though but by reducing weight, problem is i have ff version so what could i take off/remove to make any sort of difference? need your advise please

the rear seats?

It depends how far you want to go, if you never have passengers then the passenger seat could go too. Beyond that your not going to find much you can remove worth while I would of thought.

It really depends how far you want to go, do you still want to keep it as a comfortable daily driver?

Air conditioning in the next obvious thing to remove

First things to go are the tool tray, parcel shelf and boot carpet. They come out easy. The there is the boot trim, rear seats, rear speakers and rear grab handles that could go with a bit more work. Then if you want more, the rear carpet, front fogs, sound deadening from the doors etc. You can then change the interior door cards/handle to the cup ones as well as the electric door mirrors.

Personally I would take out the things that can be put back in within an hour or so. So would probably stop at the rear seats, boot carpet and parcel shelf.

the thing is i dont really use air con, or cruise control, i should have opted for a cup because that shaves 36kg off the car. how much do you think the rear seats weigh? im thinking about 10-15kg saving there. i will look into removing air con as it wont be used. i use car daily but am willing to make changes to get a little bit less weight

I'm not sure how much of a problem it is with the 197/200 but taking so much stuff out of the rear can upset the weight distribution and also the ride height leading to some 'exciting' handling which you may see as a good or bad thing

i was looking into it, the ff is just being wasted, gunna try rear seats, parcel shelf tomorrow see how much a difference it makes

Depends how far you want to go, just go wild and strip the lot! Take out the rear doorcards all the rear plastics, passenger seat, rear seats.
I wouldnt just take out rear seats and parcelshelf you won't notice any difference tbh

Last edited:
It's not gonna make that much of a difference, just leave it in. 20kg isn't gonna give you anything on a lap so why bother? Need to go the whole 9 yards if tour gonna lose weight. Minimal amount of fuel, screenwash, glass (heavy stuff). Proper stripped out to see a difference.

I was really going to say the same, even if you get 40kg out that is only 3% (ish) of the cars weight - it isn't going to make much difference. To be noticeable I would say it needs to be 100kg, for that you would be looking at everything down to the wheel bolts to save weight.

There is a lot that can be done if you are really commited to stripping as much out. But it is where do you draw the line... Carbon Fibre roof!?

It is possible to strip out quite a lot of weight if you really go for it but you basically stop it being a daily driver.

On the fiesta zetec-s owners club there were quite a lot of people who fully stripped them, they were about 1000kg standard and there were plenty of people with stripped cars weighing ~850kg and I think the guys who took it to the extreme were more like 750kg. That really was removing everything they could though, even removing the inner door skins and inner boot skin.

You'll never get mk3s to be that light even the cup racers weigh ~1000kg, where as the older mk2 cars were about 800kg they're just a bigger/heavier car.

Get it into some corners and forget about the straight line :wink:

Best place to remove weight from is above the centre of gravity. Though not an easy task in the Clio!

Also consider lighter wheels. Saving 1kg of rotational weight is supposed to be similar to removing 10kgs from the car.

Nodders, did you see my link a few posts above? What ya reckon?

I even think I could convert their winder kit to run electrically.