Want a new road bike ....

Adrian

Platinum Legend
Platinum Member
I am looking to get my 1st road bike. My budget is £1k, and ideally I want as much as possible for the price. I have seen a couple of used bikes on ebay but they seem to be fetching silly money (tour de france related I expect). I then came across this:

http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Poggio-P-2.0-105.aspx

Now I know that the components are really nothing special, but the frame is full Carbon including forks. As I am new to road biking, I think it would be a great starting point, as I can always upgrade the components at a later date if needed. I can get it for bang on budget, and at the minute JE James are throwing in free pedals in-store. Anyone got one or have any other recommendations?

I must read the thread proper first I thought you ment a motor bike lol
That's a bloody expensive push bike £1k

I am looking to get my 1st road bike. My budget is £1k, and ideally I want as much as possible for the price. I have seen a couple of used bikes on ebay but they seem to be fetching silly money (tour de france related I expect). I then came across this:

http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Poggio-P-2.0-105.aspx

That saddle looks like a razor blade.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RnJk6bkjgko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have look for a specialized allez sport, great value for the money, and great brand, you can't go wrong with any of the big bike brands all very good. My allez has been spot on as my first roadie and put up with all the rain and me not looking after it very well.

You can get a nice bike for a grand - a mate of mine has just bought a Cube (aluminium frame, carbon forks) and it's spot on. Can't remember the exact model but it's a mix of 105 and Ultegra components and has internal cable routing etc. - very nice!

I've just got a new Summer bike but pushed the boat out a bit.....
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
;/

You can get a nice bike for a grand - a mate of mine has just bought a Cube (aluminium frame, carbon forks) and it's spot on. Can't remember the exact model but it's a mix of 105 and Ultegra components and has internal cable routing etc. - very nice!

I've just got a new Summer bike but pushed the boat out a bit.....
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
;/

HOLLLLLLLLYYYYY that's a nice bike you got there Mr. Very jealous.

Pushed the boat out a bit :lol: That S-Works is a serious piece of kit!

For £1k I would be looking at an aluminium frame, carbon forks and a 105/Veloce groupset like what was recommended above.

I got into road cycling last year and bought a Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce for circa £800 from Evans Cycles in end of year sale (previous year's model). I'd love a carbon bike next but that's >£1500 I don't have at the moment.

Pushed the boat out a bit :lol: That S-Works is a serious piece of kit!

For £1k I would be looking at an aluminium frame, carbon forks and a 105/Veloce groupset like what was recommended above.

I got into road cycling last year and bought a Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce for circa £800 from Evans Cycles in end of year sale (previous year's model). I'd love a carbon bike next but that's >£1500 I don't have at the moment.

That's why the Mekk appeals to me, full carbon and a 5 year warranty on the frame.