197: Track duel with Pug 106 Rallye and GTI, what to expect?

I have two mates with one of each. I was surprised at how able they are on track, I thought we might be even in the corners and that I would blow them away on the straights. Not so, struggled in the corners and only slowly gained on the straights. Should I be surprised or just learn how to drive?

:coffee:

Not surprising, setup properly and stripped out they are just as fast as the Clio. I remember chasing one round Cadwell and it was pretty par for par in a straight line and in a corner I only caught him on the brakes for the most part.

Do the same to a Clio though and it should walk away as well.

I know them as the 'pain in the arse car' they're always over rear bumpers pushing bigger cars. Very able cars the 106 Gti is

A few breather mods and the nimble lightweight car they are.

They sure are good but they have tired engines so they must have lost some power. I would have thought the Clio would gain faster on the straights so I wondered if i could have messed up the timing when I changed the belt, but judging from your answers the timing is not at fault :smile:

Last edited:
Depends wheather people have rebuilt them or not these days, or even fitted the newer 1600 c2 engine. There's all sorts of tuning available to them, for very little money too

Very true, but these are my friends' cars, and believe me...the engines have never been rebuilt :smiley:. One got a new head gasket 40k miles ago. They have cone filters and exhausts, that's it. The cars are tired, the GTI has bilstein suspension, the other is on lowering springs. They both have standard interiors, no cage, and all seats installed.

i can understand a stripped and played with gti or rallye giving a 197 a good run for its money but a tired standard 106 against a newish clio shouldnt be that close based on power to weight ratios alone ,the clio has a condiderable advantage
so unless your mates are proper wheelmen its gotta be down to your driving m8! sorry lol ;-)

I miss mine!

106 GTI 127bhp per ton.

Clio 200 166bhp per ton.

There really isnt much in it. My mate has one that has been driven on the edge every minute of its life and itll keep on my arse.

tbf the speed of a car on track isn't just about the car. yes a good driver can make a car faster, but also how close you are to the limit of that car.
Someone driving a 106 at 90% of its limit or even 105% of its limit and on the edge of chucking it could beat a 200 at 70% of its limit.

Whenever I have pushed a car I have a limit in my head that I will not exceed. A limit of acceptable risk. And sometimes the other guys 'Acceptable Risk' is higher than mine (he can afford to write a car off, better knowledge of tarmac, etc)

tbf the speed of a car on track isn't just about the car. yes a good driver can make a car faster, but also how close you are to the limit of that car.
Someone driving a 106 at 90% of its limit or even 105% of its limit and on the edge of chucking it could beat a 200 at 70% of its limit.

Whenever I have pushed a car I have a limit in my head that I will not exceed. A limit of acceptable risk. And sometimes the other guys 'Acceptable Risk' is higher than mine (he can afford to write a car off, better knowledge of tarmac, etc)

This!

I shat myself on track with my 200 because i didnt want a nasty "off"

I am surprised nobody has mentioned tires. I'm on almost new Ventus V12s, they are on worn Yokohamas, S Drives i believe. With the weight of the Clio, the high thread blocks to move around and generate heat combined with me going as fast as I am capable of the tyres go very very warm, to the point of loosing small chuncks of rubber off the edges of the thread blocks. After a cool down lap my tyres were 10 degrees C more than theirs. I know I'm overdriving the car a bit, because I'm willing the Clio to be faster, and this is contributing to heating up the rubber. I also need to get an alignment check as my steering wheel is not straight. Still I'm sure it wiill be very close, even if I improve and the alignment turns out to be off.

I'm taking my 200 on it's first track outing next month, I'm ****ting it. Its to new to bump lol

so I'll be slower than a micra 1.0 in it lol

definitely wont be finding the cars limits

Last edited:
I'm taking my 200 on it's first track outing next month, I'm ****ting it. Its to new to bump lol

so I'll be slower than a micra 1.0 in it lol

definitely wont be finding the cars limits

You will pap your self for around a lap then rag the arse off it.

I always go out to go steady and always push it to the limit of my abilities.

What track you at?