Track day rubber

So, finally got myself a spare set of alloys to put some semi-slicks on. What do we think is the best choice? toyo r888s? I'v seen a few manufacturers touting track tyres such as federal or yokohamas, they all seem to be around £160 a tyre. Can anyone recommend anything better and where to get them at a decent price?

Ive only tried the 888s and have to say they are superb. Can only compare them to normal road tyres (Conti CS3s) and they are much better. Apart from in standing water.

I have federal 595rsrs. For the money 90 a corner i think they are great.
However 888 and feds are out of stock in most places.
Im trying the toyo r1r next as ive heard good things..

I've tried r888's and rs2's. The r888's offer more grip, but subsequently more wear on bearings etc. The rs2 has a very stiff sidewalk, so you get the responsiveness that the r888's but less grip. If you ever want to use them on the road, they don't suffer when cold like the r888 does.

A lot of the 'ring bunch are using them.

R888s are as good as you'll get but America is outbidding the uk ATM and toyo can't build them quick enough. As a result they are all but sold out.

Yokohamas do an excellent alternative ( AE something? ) but are very expensive.

Prada spec 2s get very good reviews for track use?

I've tried r888's and rs2's. The r888's offer more grip, but subsequently more wear on bearings etc. The rs2 has a very stiff sidewalk, so you get the responsiveness that the r888's but less grip. If you ever want to use them on the road, they don't suffer when cold like the r888 does.

A lot of the 'ring bunch are using them.

I have heard this also. I assume they (RS2s) are road and track tyre as opposed to the very track focussed 888s?

Once I'm through my current set of 888s I think I'll give those ago.

R888s are as good as you'll get but America is outbidding the uk ATM and toyo can't build them quick enough. As a result they are all but sold out.

Yokohamas do an excellent alternative ( AE something? ) but are very expensive.

Prada spec 2s get very good reviews for track use?

Not when I used them.. Were good but not a patch on R888's IMO and that was on the same day and track.

No other tyre will match the mighty r888.

But for most a fancy road tyre will suffice on track, your not trying to break any lap records.

Clio cup wets work well...

I have heard this also. I assume they (RS2s) are road and track tyre as opposed to the very track focussed 888s?

Once I'm through my current set of 888s I think I'll give those ago.

Spot on fella. For the money, I think they're great. Last a lot longer than r888's, obviously slower though. Sidewall's nearly as firm as r888, so you still get that immediate response. I liked that during the spring/summer you can run them daily without compromise. It's only with heavy standing water they aren't great.

No other tyre will match the mighty r888.

Are you having a giraffe??

Much better track tyres out there.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are supposed to be as big a difference over R888s as R888s are over normal road tyres.

I have it on good authority Yokohama A048s are much better and so are a Dunlop one that I can't remember the name.

Toyo is a budget brand. For every tyre they do there is a better more expensive alternative.

Lol the masses speak for themself, i see no other tyre currently out of stock in the entire country due to global demand. These dont get their reputation for nothing.

Yes i've also heard from good sources the Yoko A048s are a very good competitor for the R888, although i have never used them myself. Affordable track day tyres to the masses are now becoming very fashionable, but the case just a couple of years ago was you go R888 or deal with a road tyre.

IMO they are at the top of their game, Toyo is not a 'budget' brand! Thanks for the lols :wink:

888's used to be the go to tyre as they were almost as good, and almost as durable, as the A048R's, but a good chunk cheaper.

These days, they're about the same money, so you may as well just get A048's

Can I suggest slicks? If ure taking a spare set they are a must have. Certain tracks wont be fun on slick though especially if it's busy u wont keep the heat a few fast laps gets heat in them though and if ure interested I know a guy that can supply new or used sets at low cost.

Lol the masses speak for themself, i see no other tyre currently out of stock in the entire country due to global demand. These dont get their reputation for nothing.

Yes i've also heard from good sources the Yoko A048s are a very good competitor for the R888, although i have never used them myself. Affordable track day tyres to the masses are now becoming very fashionable, but the case just a couple of years ago was you go R888 or deal with a road tyre.

IMO they are at the top of their game, Toyo is not a 'budget' brand! Thanks for the lols :wink:

EVERY tyre Toyo make has a much better and much more expensive rival. That makes them a budget tyre.

As for R888s people complain they overheat and go off and the focus RS was only 1 sec quicker round the ring than on Conti SC3s.

You say thanks for the LOLs I say ignorance must be bliss!!

Can I suggest slicks? If ure taking a spare set they are a must have. Certain tracks wont be fun on slick though especially if it's busy u wont keep the heat a few fast laps gets heat in them though and if ure interested I know a guy that can supply new or used sets at low cost.

Aren't slicks banned on some tracks days without a cage etc?