197: track day helmets

wheres the best place to get a helmet for track days??

and I better with a typical motorcycle helmet? or like an open face style??

Faceless helmets are all very well, however, in the unlikely event that you're head should come in contact with the steering wheel then ideally you'd be wearing a full face lid.

You can get an adequate one off fleaBay for a little over a hundred notes - I spent 270 on a basically new sparco lid there. It's this one - http://www.gprdirect.com/helmets/race-helmets/sparco-circuit-adv-helmet.html

Depends how much you value your head really - but any more than 350 for me for an occasional track day hat is excessive.

excellent, that omp looks fine to me, rather like that carbon one, as I have a few bits carbon on my car, and yes I am a fiend.... hopefully i can find a carbon track day?!

thats better, cheers ralphy, would rather pay a little bit more tbh.

Only problem Im going to have is that I have a rather large head! could do with going somewhere to try some out, then purchase from online

Pay a little more?

They are all (or should be) Snell or BS, depending on where it was made. This means they all have to meet a minimum standard of safety.

As you start paying more money, all you're getting is a name and fancy materials... and unless you can afford carbon, they ain't any lighter.

Get a car helmet, not a bike one, and get one with BS/Snell. Most importantly, get one that feels right - names are just vanity.

Car helmets are constructed differently to bike helmets. As the impact zones are different.

Generally the more you spend the better quality, materials and fit the helmet will be.

I always say spend as much as you can afford.

I use a Stilo open face, but am looking to replace as its a few years old now.

Ideally go somewhere and try lots of different lids on, as they all vary in shape and size.