Tomislav's Ultra Red 197

tomislavp4

Paid Member
So, thought I'd start a project tread for my 197. I will list both what I plan to do to it and what I plan to do with it. Currently (March 16th 2017) the to-do list goes something like this:
  1. Fix a few scratches and dents on the paint.
  2. Get the 10 year service done.
  3. Get the Bilsteins or H&R's depending on what my wallet has to say about it.
Done:
  1. Replaced the thermostat.
  2. Installed a new headunit.
  3. Replaced the 1/4 glass seal.
  4. Did my first trackday
  5. Did my second trackday
  6. Painted the plastic air intake bits
  7. Fitted Bilstein B14's
Edit: OK, ok, here's a pic!IMG_20170130_145205_1.jpg

Last edited:
Check what causes it to pull to the side when braking hard

I imagine this might be a seized pad in one of the calipers, meaning when you brake one side is stopping less than the others causing a pull to one side.

Either that or your wheel alignment is out.

LOL, I added a pic mate :grinning:

I imagine this might be a seized pad in one of the calipers, meaning when you brake one side is stopping less than the others causing a pull to one side.

Either that or your wheel alignment is out.
Thanks for your input, I'll look into it but it will have to wait 'till it gets a bit warmer outside, I'm not doing s*** at -2 degrees C :angry:

LOL, I added a pic mate :grinning:

Thanks for your input, I'll look into it but it will have to wait 'till it gets a bit warmer outside, I'm not doing s*** at -2 degrees C :angry:

Yeah I do not blame you at all mate!! I changed all my discs and pads the other week in the cold and bit of rain... it was not pleasant trying to hammer out caliper pins, especially when I kept slipping and hammering my hand :excited::censored: :tearsofjoy:

Yeah I do not blame you at all mate!! I changed all my discs and pads the other week in the cold and bit of rain... it was not pleasant trying to hammer out caliper pins, especially when I kept slipping and hammering my hand :excited::censored: :tearsofjoy:
Haha, sounds like fun ...not! :laughing:

Reactions: Dystant
Is this normal guys? The temperature gauge never goes higher than this, no matter how hard I drive. Yes, it is cold outside, minus 5 degrees C currently, but still...
IMG_20170213_182527 1.jpg

Hi, enjoy your 1st track day. It took my mate a while + a passenger ride at Spa to convince me to put my Clio on track & now I am an addict! I love Storm Grey, but Ultra Red has something about it that grabs me too. Not a lover of Glacier White which mine is so I may be doing something to alleviate the black & white look I currently have.

Hi, enjoy your 1st track day. It took my mate a while + a passenger ride at Spa to convince me to put my Clio on track & now I am an addict! I love Storm Grey, but Ultra Red has something about it that grabs me too. Not a lover of Glacier White which mine is so I may be doing something to alleviate the black & white look I currently have.
Thank you! I will probably do my first track day in may, on a close-by track here in Sweden (Mantorp park) but the goal is to go to the Ring and Spa (love it how close they are to each other!) someday soon, doubt it will be this year though, maybe next one.

How come you bought a white one if you don't fancy it? No good ones around at the time?

absolutely fine..the temperature never goes over the half bar..not in mine at least..not even on a hot track day

Thank you! I will probably do my first track day in may, on a close-by track here in Sweden (Mantorp park) but the goal is to go to the Ring and Spa (love it how close they are to each other!) someday soon, doubt it will be this year though, maybe next one.

How come you bought a white one if you don't fancy it? No good ones around at the time?
I bought a white one because it was a good specification and low mileage with a great service history. I've always said that I won't buy a car or motorcycle on colour, but on history, specification & mileage. You will enjoy doing Spa & the 'ring together. I did Spa as a passenger follwed by the 'ring as a passenger the next day. I absolutely loved both! Went back the following year with my own Clio & loved Spa so much, but didn't enjoy the 'ring because I spent all my time keeping out of the way of very (!) fast Corvettes & 911s. I think the 'ring will be great if it's quiet as it was when I was a passenger. I'm definitely going back there as the atmosphere is amazing. Stay at Am Tiergarten & go to the bar for one of their Argentine steaks. If you're not a vegetarian you'll love it! If you are eat something else, but go there as it's a full on petrol head atmosphere & you'll get talking to a load of like minded people.

absolutely fine..the temperature never goes over the half bar..not in mine at least..not even on a hot track day
OK, thanks!
I bought a white one because it was a good specification and low mileage with a great service history. I've always said that I won't buy a car or motorcycle on colour, but on history, specification & mileage. You will enjoy doing Spa & the 'ring together. I did Spa as a passenger follwed by the 'ring as a passenger the next day. I absolutely loved both! Went back the following year with my own Clio & loved Spa so much, but didn't enjoy the 'ring because I spent all my time keeping out of the way of very (!) fast Corvettes & 911s. I think the 'ring will be great if it's quiet as it was when I was a passenger. I'm definitely going back there as the atmosphere is amazing. Stay at Am Tiergarten & go to the bar for one of their Argentine steaks. If you're not a vegetarian you'll love it! If you are eat something else, but go there as it's a full on petrol head atmosphere & you'll get talking to a load of like minded people.
You did the right thing, the history and specs are more important than the color.

I can understand why you didn't enjoy the ring. I watch a lot of onboard videos and it looks like you need to be constantly checking your mirrors and moving over if you have anything with less than 500 bhp and/or don't know the place very well. I imagine it's quite stressfull, driving it for the first time. I'll definitely try that steak!

Reactions: Johnny 99
Hi
I dont want to confuse more, but i upload one picture. My 197 recently got new thermosthat. It is non-original BEHR thermosthat.
Coolant is approx 90celsius in normal driving. It would not raise any higher even when driving harder. ( At least winter)
Maybe it is now little bit hotter than OEM thermosthat, but here is so cold winters i dont complain so long there is no problems at summer.

Btw. Do you have calix or defa pre-heaters in your car?
Those are must in my opinion. Clio 197 is not funney to drive when engine is cold.

medium.jpg