Thoughts on the R27?

Hi guys after my initial thread about wanting to spend some money on my 172 and not get a 197 I've found myself flitting between the two options.

So some general questions to ask about the 197 R27's if you don't mind...

-How much should a low mileage VGC R27 go for?
-What are common problems with 197s?
-IS MPG really as bad as everyone says?
-I presume a 57 plate might be coming upto Campbell time so what gains do cams/remap give you?
-Gear boxes still an issue?

Also any advice from someone going from a 172/182 to a 197 is appreciated!

I have owned an R27 for about a month now. I bought it from Co-op Renault in Mansfield. It has FRSH, 51k, one owner from new, the only mark on it was a small scratch on one alloy, 57 plate, Black. It was up for £7995 and also came with 1 year comprehensive RAC warranty.

I get 27 on the commute to work which is a combination of queuing, A roads and Motorway.
I get 32 on the motorway doing about 80mph on cruise.

I can't comment on cams/remap or gearbox, apart from if mine goes, it had better be within the next 11 months!

I have owned my R27 for about 7 months. Bought it from Martins in Basingstoke. I realise that I paid top dollar at 10k although it was/is in good nick and as far as I can see is fully loaded (it even has dealer fitted blue tooth 'phone). On 22k miles and UR.

My computer is telling me that I am averaging 31.4 and this is driving around Basingstoke for the most part. It has been noted by numerous people that the computer under reads by upto 4 mpg, and if thats the case then 35.4 mpg mixed driving is fine by me.

The sale was dependent on several fixes -
1. Drivers Recaro was wearing on the lower bolster (common problem - search for more info)
2. Tyres - only a problem if you light them up on a regular basis
3. Sticking rear calliper - might be worth checking the state of the brakes before committing to a purchase (do you have a mechanically minded RAC/AA type friend?). I am aware of people having issues with sticking callipers if they aren't serviced periodically.

No issues with my gearbox or the kangarooing reported by many - I think I got a good one!

Good luck!

Owning 07 plate R27 for a year, no issues with gearbox, no issues whatsoever actually (I consider myself lucky) averaging 26mpg but driving in london, cams remap according to Ktec gives +20bhp (result is real 200bhp on the clio which sounds good to me) and pricing wose, I'm sure you can find a decent R27 for £8200 more or less:smile:

Thanks guys, great info! Having a 'play' with a 197 last night on a DC I had the
Legs on it just about but it's put my mind at rest that the extra weight hasn't dampened performance too much!

I've already spoken to a few people regarding cat cams for the 197 and a remap :tongueout:

And thanks for the info on sticking brakes, my 172 also suffered from this so I know what to look for. Cheers again guys!

Oh and I can't afford a 200 although I have been offered a LY 200 for 10k I just can't stretch that far at the moment.