Thoughts on this r27?

hi guys, I'm thinking about giving this car a look as it's not far from me. Pics look nice, I like the colour. No roof decals but that doesn't bother me too much. I would think it needs another cambelt as its 10 years old. Mileage on the ad says 78k but in the pic it's 60k which matches the previous MOT search.

Apart from that anything obvious from looking at the ad that I should be aware of?
http://www.midlandpremiercars.co.uk/used-renault-clio-coventry-warwickshire-1045557

Hi Chris, from the ad it looks to be in decent condition - the Recaros don't appear to have any signs of wear, which is a plus point. I agree with you on the second cambelt service - it would certainly be due this year, so you'll know to factor in at least £500.

The obvious one is checking the service history and making sure that it's complete and up to date - with invoices to match, especially the one for the first cambelt service.

Definitely worth a look in my opinion, taking into account the above. Being a dealer, they may not be so clued up on the 197 as a model so don't be fobbed off with lacklustre answers to any questions you might have.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

Good info thanks. By the looks of it most of those mods never happened so I wonder if he didn't keep hold of it very long.

I was going to ask about price. I have no idea really. Been looking at 09/10 plate 200's at that price but they are just standard with no recaros. Maybe high price as its a dealer but it does say they include a 2 year warranty which could be handy! Plus I could really do with part ex on mine.

Good info thanks. By the looks of it most of those mods never happened so I wonder if he didn't keep hold of it very long.

I was going to ask about price. I have no idea really. Been looking at 09/10 plate 200's at that price but they are just standard with no recaros. Maybe high price as its a dealer but it does say they include a 2 year warranty which could be handy! Plus I could really do with part ex on mine.
If its got a 2year warranty that's worth quite a lot hence the price premium

I don't really know current values, but I would guess that 6k is a little high, given the age and mileage (which is still below average, admittedly). Probably some wiggle room, and it would be worth using the cambelt needing doing as a bargaining chip.

I'd try and knock him down a bit but I think the price isn't too far off if it's mint and comes with 2 years warranty.

It looks great in the pics but on close ups and zoomed in the paint looks a bit swirly. Easy to sort of course.

Also I'd want to know EXACTLY what the warranty covered. You'll most likely want to use it more than once in two years.

Finally I'd want the full story about the miles. Why the 78k with a star in the ad?

The mileage is an odd one and I'm hoping it may just be a misprint so the car has slipped under the radar of people put off by it. The clock readout is 60800 and on checking the online MOT history it had 58000 last August when it was tested.

'Must be the best example' how many of these cars I went to look at and came home empty handed.

Looks OK in the pics. Would query the warranty, deduct 500 for belts get a MOT (shouldn't be a problem if the car is what it's advertised as) check history and gearbox.

You got 2 option with decals - Full (roof, doors and bumpers) or Delete - (bumpers only). So either the roof decal has been taken off (why?) or the door decals added. :think:

Reactions: ///M
I've searched posts by the former owner johnny and he was last active November 2009 when he was talking about having the whole car wrapped for £900. There are some more pics of the car on some of his old posts but none show the roof clearly, however it does appear that there were no roof decals when he bought the car. After those 2009 posts he just vanished and the car looks pretty much the same in the ad as it did so I guess the wrap didn't happen. On the plus side he was in Hinckley which is nearby so the car seems to have remained local.

The site does say all cars come with the warranty but yes, I can't imagine they would be offering it free on a 10 year old car!

Worth a look though as it's only 9 miles away. As said, if condition and history check out and it comes with a fresh MOT and warranty then maybe it would work.

Worth a look as its local Chris. Warranty will not include wear and tear so make sure gearbox is covered. Let us know how you got on mate.

Same colour as mine :smile: have to say, looks clean in the pics but then again as we all know in real life can be a different matter! If it's 60k and super clean with a good warranty and you get it for £5500 I'd say break his arm.

Same colour as mine :smile: have to say, looks clean in the pics but then again as we all know in real life can be a different matter! If it's 60k and super clean with a good warranty and you get it for £5500 I'd say break his arm.

Agree with this R27 prices are still pretty strong.

Surprising how much it's up for but then again it is an R27. Likely looking to sell my 197 this year and was thinking I'd be lucky to see £4000. It's a 2008 with 76K miles and aside from some bolster wear and steering wheel peel in great condition all around. It seems like there's a few 200's around for £6K so I'd be tempted to check out a few of those

It's the difference between private and dealer sale though. The dealer did not give the previous owner £6k for that R27, it'll have been more like £4K. But I understand that used car dealers have to make a profit in order to live so I'm fine with it. Also if, as the ad states, it comes with 24 month warranty they are taking a big risk. I have seen 200's at this price which look good but the question is, are they as desirable as the R27? I don't know really. Must admit I prefer the look of the climate control unit in the 200 over the heater dials and if I'm honest a newer car does appeal to me.

I was hoping to get there today but it didn't happen. Perhaps over the weekend. And I'm also thinking that if I like it and want to go for it then an offer of 5500 seems fair.

R27 all the way mate! Yes I'm biased but we could have had a good 200 when we were looking. Chose the R27 for a reason. Yes it's just a full fat with Cup pack and some stickers and a plaque, oh and tinted windows... but still.

:smile:

Seriously, if it's a good one, as Cossers said, get in it!

Looking at how the market is going, residuals will be good on it too. Not that it's a big factor on a car of this price but every little helps eh?

But really you should keep it and lavish it with love and posh parts :excited:

Reactions: Cossers
As ///M I too could have easily bought a 200 but the r27 was the only one I was intrested in and as stated, cup pack, recaros, plaque and a set of stickers is nothing wild but there is only 500 and no matter what anyone says that's why they will always be sought after, as time goes on mint ones I can assure you will go up and as the shoddy ones get worse there are just going to be less to choose from.

Only thing I'd say if I'm honest, I deffo would not like this to be my only car, saying that mine has a zorst, induction kit, springs and spacers but it does feel quite hardcore if I'm honest, best have a go in a std full fat too just for a comparison.