Thinking about getting a cat

Chris

Bad cop
And no - not another catalytic converter - I'm talking about a pet cat!

Does anyone have any advice?

Breeds to avoid, things to get/do. Time needed, costs involved. That sort of thing would be muchos appreciated.

And FYI - I'm a dog sort of guy, the GF is a cat sort of gal. But we don't have the time to facilitate a dog with our schedules!

Thanks in advance :smiley:

We bought 2 kittens 3 years ago. Brother and sister, male is a tabby and quite needy, female is tortoiseshell and they traditionally have a bit of attitude. Love them both to bits and luckily they are scared of other people so my concerns are alleviated just a tad regarding the UK Cat Killer who has struck very locally to me.
Anyway, pet insurance has now gone up to ~£22 per month for 2 and we vary their food a lot using the ZooPlus website for great prices. The last order came to £120 and we get through 5 or 6 pouches a day. Plus dry food that lasts about a month that’s £12 a pop.
It’s a must to get them chipped and neutered but a lot of vets do this as a package in their first year, plus jabs.
The more you put into them in the early stages, the more rewarding they are. Really funny little individuals, you realise they’re more than just cats, they’re just little bags of personality that depend on you to survive.

Reactions: Cossers
I'll be honest, I'm a dog person but my mum and dad have 4 cats, 3 of which came from me, all abandoned! One had been threw out the window of a car in a bag as a kitten, I found it and my parents took it in (my fav and 15 now) another just a stray kitten that turned up and my house and the latest was tha same story but he survived nearly being killed by my dog and then a 40 mile trip under my van in the spare wheel (which is stored upside down) under the van, couldn't believe it when I seen it beside me on a site 40 odd miles from my home!! (Prob only about 10-12 weeks old at the time) So of course my mum took it too, first and last are tabby and have to say as cats go my favs, funny thing is that both them come and seek me out when I call at their house to spread out on my legs, the first cat does this with my parents too but the last little cat only does it with me although I rarely ever see him! My parents are convinced they know I 'saved them' :smile:

Have to say they are not a lot of hassle, need fed and watered and are easy kept, parents have an auto cat flat they all use and won't let other strays in, think it's a chip implant in the cat

As you say a dog is more demanding but I love the bond and physical interaction I have with my dogs, also the way I which they show you how much you mean to them, esp bullbreed dogs (very bad press but the most loving breed you could ever meet when brought up in a loving environment) and not by the the usual hoodied shite bag you see then with that just bought it to look hard.

Just one thing, vets bills can be expensive if you have a sickly one! Two of my mums are always in and out of the vets with various issues, saying that my last dog cost me thousands but I didn't care, I'd have sold everything to get the money to treat him if I'd needed to.

But yea, cats are pretty cool tbh :smile:

Word of warning, they can be a bit destructive with any fabric furniture, they claw at it to exercise and sharpen their nails (which you'll prob find out at some stage are like razors!) Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Benno and Micah
Been around cats my entire life, we have 4 at the moment.

First thing I would say is always try to get a rescue one. Some of the shit these animals have been through is horrific and there are plenty of them in need of a home.

They are fairly easy to care for, fed and watered and that's pretty much it.

Just be prepared for:

Hair everywhere
Clawed up furniture/shoes
Dead/alive animal presents (Live ones can make one hell of a mess)

If you have any questions feel free to message me or ask here.

Begging cat tax:
DUWKIcq.png

Last edited:
DefoGet a rescue cat
And as for pet insurance best I’ve found is to set up a standing order into another account of say £20 a month per cat and hopefully you never have to use it and after a number of years it certainly adds up
I’ve got nine at the moment and put away £100 a month
And had cats for20 years and always in profit so far compared to the amount I would have paid in premiums for all those moggies

Reactions: Chris
This has sort of gone on the back burner, not sure if she is sure 100%!

What is certainly off putting is my little spaniel has just had an op on his leg which cost my parents £3k! I know id get insurance and everything!

I'm a dog person currently we have 6....but we are looking at getting a cat, its a "maine coon" they are hugh and cost a fortune and that's if you can find a breeder in NI. They are magnificent things, but worried how our wee dogs would cope.

cats are hilarious. i love dogs also but have no time for there needs.

we have a 5 year old Ragdoll. shes a right bruiser fighting all the local big males

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
I'll second the notions to go with shorter hair (it gets everywhere!) and a rescue cat if possible.

They're generally low maintenance compared to dogs, no walkies as they come and go as they please, although most of them do love lots of attention. It's quite therapeutic stroking a cat, hopefully you'll have an affectionate one as some are quite sulky and keep to themselves.

One tip for feeding, don't give them 'dreamies' treats, it will turn them into crack heads!

Pics when/if it happens please... here's a pic of our cat curled up in my lap, he's a snow bengal/blue burmese mix:

Attachments

• 20171217_190742.jpg
    20171217_190742.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: nutnutwelshman
I have five cats and have to agree they are very low maintenance compared to dogs, feed them and clean the litter tray out, simples. They go out during the day whilst I'm at work and are waiting for us when we get back, come in eat, have a cuddle then go to bed. And yes its very therapeutic stroking a cat and also playing with them. Get one and never look back :smile: Heres a couple of mine.

chill.jpg

cats.jpg