The most amazing day out ever- Zürich, Switzerland - MORE PICS!!!!

4 OFFICIAL languages LOL! BUT, EVERYONE speaks English?! What languages to do learn at school? 4 + English???

Our schools teach us ONE of French, German, Spanish or Chinese, from the age of 11 - so we are utter CRAP at languages :smile:

It depends on the canton you go to school. But in the Swiss German part of Switzerland you learn German, French and English. You learn all Languages from the age of 9 if I'm right... :book:

Thats what I love about Swiss public transport..its cheap and its always running on time and its always clean!

Runing on time and clean is right. That's also what I love on our public transport. But cheap...?! I dont't think so. :tongueout:anic: But I think it's ok for what you get... When I was in Englad I didn't get the time table within one week! :confused1: (When I then found the right bus station... :thumbup:smile:

It depends on the canton you go to school. But in the Swiss German part of Switzerland you learn German, French and English. You learn all Languages from the age of 9 if I'm right... :book:

Thats when youre doing the "Big School" thingy, i guess!? Because most people i know here can probably speak 1 other language than swiss german, and even them not very good.

I think it depends on in which school you were?

Thats when youre doing the "Big School" thingy, i guess!? Because most people i know here can probably speak 1 other language than swiss german, and even them not very good.

I think it depends on in which school you were?

No that's the "normal" school schedule. When you do the "Big School" you can choose between a mathematical or a linguistical direction. Understandably have you even more languages when you go the linguistical way.

I would say, that the most of all Swiss German people can speak 2 or 3 languages (German, French, Italian). It depends on how serious they learned at school and how often they use the language. Over the time you loose a lot of words...

Runing on time and clean is right. That's also what I love on our public transport. But cheap...?! I dont't think so. :tongueout:anic: But I think it's ok for what you get... When I was in Englad I didn't get the time table within one week! :confused1: (When I then found the right bus station... :thumbup:smile:

Its probably just me that thinks it cheap then...I live in the middle of no where and the closest place you can go on public transport is Salisbury which is like 5miles away and its £8!!

Easyjet get you there ok? or did they do a ryan air and land you nowhere near what it said in the ticket? Zurich .... landing at Oslo International.

i was there in sept mate,the sight of the alps out of the plane window as you turn in to the airport is unreal.

If you are keen eyed, you can see the Matterhorn on the way in - it is couple of hundred miles away, but such a distinctive shape!

You are right about the sight of the mountains on the way in though - truly breathtaking!

Easyjet get you there ok? or did they do a ryan air and land you nowhere near what it said in the ticket? Zurich .... landing at Oslo International.

Oh yes, fantastic! Zürich means Zürich! Clicky - it is only a ten minute train journey!

:tongueout: I speak Swiss German. You can speak Hochdeutsch? Dann kann ich ja jetzt nur noch auf Deutsch schreiben... :wink: "Grüezi" is a special Swiss word. Austrian is different, and also for us sometimes a little bit strange :smile:

Have a look at this video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prew3Zi-qIQ[/YOUTUBE]

The first guy speaking is speaking "Proper" German :wink:

The guy at 0:56 has a Swiss Accent, but no where near as vile as the accent at 1:40 - that is a VILE accent, and I can understand very few words lol!!!

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions