The dreaded MOT time...

Hmm, my handbrake froze on a couple of times last winter... Guess I better replace them before I send it for its MOT.

Handbrake cables. They are rusty/corroded apprently.
He said they where £28 per cable plus vat and fitting.
Also failed on a license plate bulb, which I checked but cba to argue against.

ah i get ya! that price aint bad for the cables :coffee:

Foxspeed; do you know how difficult it is to change the handbrake cables?

as long as you can get it high enough i dont think they are that bad - the routing of them underneath is pretty straighforward!

as for the brakes sticking it wont necessarily be the cables - the pads stick to the discs due to rust forming from damp/wet discs - the running clearance of pad to disc is very close indeed even when in the off position

if the cable is sticking you can usually see the small lever on the caliper is not fully returning to the off position (assuming the brakes are adjusted correctly) along with making sure the wheel runs free when handbrake is off

Okay thank you, that's food for thought.

When it happened in January this year, I poured warm water onto the calipers which seemed to have very little effect. I had to wait for the ambient temp. outside to rise. When they unfroze, it was a little bit at a time, which to me would suggest that it wasn't the pads sticking to the disk? When I first went outside and released the handbrake, there would be no tension on the handle anywhere between fully off and where I had had it applied to over night. Gradually the 'tension point' would be lower and lower (5 clicks, 4 clicks, 3 clicks etc) until I could drive it.

Well I've still not got my car back... and wont be tonight. The parts supplier sent the wrong cables...in usual fashion they sent the non sport versions. Being lent a car to get home and back tomorrow.
Why do I get a really bad feeling tomorrow, even after getting the correct cables, there will be another issue...

Well I've still not got my car back... and wont be tonight. The parts supplier sent the wrong cables...in usual fashion they sent the non sport versions. Being lent a car to get home and back tomorrow.
Why do I get a really bad feeling tomorrow, even after getting the correct cables, there will be another issue...

get a few pints down ya tonight mate and chill out,all will be well...

Don't worry about it mate. They can't exactly invent issues overnight!

Just got the car back. No more issues found. :smile:

After driving a brand new 62plate derv polo home yesterday and hating it...... getting back into the seat of the clio, I love it, it still feels as tight as a nut and its a real pleasure to drive. The quick blast back from the garage made me remember why I bought it in the first place.