Dreaded MOT

Had the 197 since January and had to take it for its MOT Monday . Was expecting it to go straight through ( which it did ) one advisory which is lower ball joint on near side ( want to get this done before it shags my new tires up) Can you replace the ball joint or is it part of the lower arm / wishbone?
Not done anything mechanical on her yet so not sure. Also got chance to have a look under the car while over the pit. Looks like the cat is still fitted then after that there seems to be a large bore pipe and a separate silencer before the rear scorpion exhaust . How easy is it to remove the cat? And what advantages / disadvantages are there

I've read the ball joint can be replaced but they're hard to come by. Also it may need to be pressed into the arm, im not sure how its held.

For the exhaust, bear in mind there are 2 cats on these cars. One in the manifold, another in the exhaust, then a centre silencer before the backbox. Usually its just the main cat thats removed and the manifold one is left in place.

Decatting gives you more noise and according to scorpion around 2bhp top end.

I've read the ball joint can be replaced but they're hard to come by. Also it may need to be pressed into the arm, im not sure how its held.

For the exhaust, bear in mind there are 2 cats on these cars. One in the manifold, another in the exhaust, then a centre silencer before the backbox. Usually its just the main cat thats removed and the manifold one is left in place.

Decatting gives you more noise and according to scorpion around 2bhp top end.

thanks I will leave it in place for the sake of 2bhp :wink:

Just called a local Renault indepenadant dealer and he said they are pressed in but can supply and fit for £65 happy days :smile: :smile:

Update to the above . They have removed the ball joint and said they cannot get a replacement anywhere and the complete lower assembley is £260 :worried: :worried: Can anyone advsie where I can get the balljoint from ???

On the plus side he is fitting my lowering springs while its on the ramps so it will be an interesting drive home later :smile:

I suppose on the down side this is gong to make the ball joint wear quicker.

Any help with sourceing a ball joint would be appreciated guys n gals. Or a second hand assembely at the right price could be an option too?

You won't get the balljoint from Renault, only the full hub assembly. Speak to R Sport in wimbledon, they are the only stockists.

Thanks for the input lads :smile:

They had a bit of a mare changing the springs and had a drop link break on them cost me an extra £15 so ended up costing me £85 to have my springs fitted :worried: but hey ho if they had problems on the ramps I would have had more doing it on the floor :wink:

He has said if I get the bit he will fit it for £40 which sounds reasonable

Spoke to RS at Wimbeldon yesterday they do stock the ball joint I need so thanks [MENTION=4181]Chrisgti6[/MENTION] just under £40 plus the dreaded VAT and if you order and pay before 3pm they will deliver the next working day for £10 +vat

strangely though since the springs have been on I haven't heard it knock yet ? . Still going to get it changed though