The Definitive What Suspension Do You Have Thread...

What's Your Setup?

• Cup

Votes: 165 39.5%
  • Non-Cup

Votes: 75 17.9%
  • P.I Springs - £115

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • KW Springs - £155

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apex Springs - £100

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Spax Springs - £165

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H&R Coilovers - £950

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Avo Coliovers - £

• Eibach Springs - £195

Votes: 24 5.7%
  • Ohlins Coilovers - £

• KW V1 Coilovers - £750

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • KW V2 Coilovers - £

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • KW V3 Coilovers - £1350

• Bilstein Coilovers - £750

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • H&R -30mm/-30mm - £185

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • H&R -30mm/-40mm - £185

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • H&R -40mm/-40mm - £185

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Spax RSX Coilovers - £750

• KW Clubsports Coilovers - £1750

• AST Sportline II Coilovers - £1500

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • The one thats gonna beat Will now as my car works!

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • GAZ Gold

Votes: 11 2.6%

• Total voters
My car had the cup chassis and it was great, if only the car wasn't that high! After I bought the clio I wanted it a bit lower, so after asking around and even though I was failing to see how only one H&R kit is designed to work ok with 4 different dampers (197 ff, cup, 200 ff, cup) I decided to go for the H&R 30mm all around (prefer the rear higher) with 200 cup dampers (stiffer) and Simo's adjustable top mounts. For the newcomers here is the link to this part.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19159

photo-2.jpg
IMG_1850.jpg

I didn't like the lowering springs. Even though the ride wasn't that much stiffer (I don't mind a stiff ride anyway) the rear was bouncy and on a bumpy B-road totally unpredictable (under my driving). That wasn't the case on smooth roads/track but our roads are not smooth so they had to go.

So after doing quite some research regarding damping technology I opted for the AST sportline II kit. It is just...too much of a suspension for its money. My decision was based on the following:

1. Most importantly it is monotube like all the high end kits out there. I'm not going to go into details about the advantages of this new design against the twin tube setups (koni, bilstein kw etc), there is endless info on the internet.
2. They are also inverted. Less unsprung weight.:wink:
3. They are shorter so the car gets lower as soon as you fit them, ideal for lower setups.
4. Its design allows to adjust the height without loosing any suspension travel!
5. Aluminium spring seats.
6. You can have them rebuilt and re valved.
7. They are customizable.
8. One knob at the bottom adjusts rebound/compression in 12 fine settings. Makes it much easier for people like me who don't know much about suspension tuning to adjust. Linear adjustability.
9. Coilover design at the back as well.

For their prize it was not a brainer. I had them fitted with the above mentioned top mounts (track kit, 80nm front 110nm rear as Mark mentioned). The outcome? Well...10/10 and I want to rate them higher than that. The car is so well behaved, it will kill whatever you give it. Rapid change of direction? Predictability? Grip? My English is so poor to give a proper review but this kit has transformed the car fullstop.

The only downside is the price but if your are looking to spend around £1300 it's worth doing the extra step, even without the mounts. I believe the kit costs around £1550 plus around £300 for top mounts. Here are some pics from my thread.

e78a31c2.jpg
cdf342ef.jpg
e96f4c45.jpg
DSC00536.jpg

Last edited:
Great wee thread about handling and spring rates and dampening and compression till I come along...... Lol yes it's prob too low and do I care.... No caus I love it lol so forget about body roll caus this baby is as stiff as it gets lol love chucking it into corners the ride hight doesn't affect my style I driving anyway lol

So I'm running kw V1s well what's left if them haha if you can still call them v1's lol

Fronts: helper spring and cup removed..... And them screwed down to the last thread.

Rears: kw cups with custom springs had to screw them up a few threads to lift the tyre off the arch was so close and constantly catching.

Also 20mm spacers all round for abit of stance :smile: would have gone 25 only I'm on the cup racer wheels which are 8"

600441_394147253968099_2843194_n.jpg

haha i love slammed cars too im not track whore either. Looks great mate :thumbup1:

Good timing to find this thread as im in desperate need of some new springs. Just found out ive got another broken one on the rear and renault want silly prices just for 1.

What would people recommend for a car thats driven everyday on all sorts of roads, was going to get h&r but reading above says they are unpredictable on bumpy roads? Whats a good set up for every day use and not just because it looks good. Car doesnt have the cup chassis.

Good timing to find this thread as im in desperate need of some new springs. Just found out ive got another broken one on the rear and renault want silly prices just for 1.

What would people recommend for a car thats driven everyday on all sorts of roads, was going to get h&r but reading above says they are unpredictable on bumpy roads? Whats a good set up for every day use and not just because it looks good. Car doesnt have the cup chassis.

Don't take my word for it Paul, I'm just really fussy when it comes to that (bear in mind that I had H&Rs fitted with the 200 cup suspension, not the 197 ff).

Also worth mentioning that there are loads of people in here using H&Rs and have no complains at all. However, if I was about to fit springs I'd personally go for Eibachs, subtle drop, allowing more travel.

Finally got the eibachs fitted. Exactly what i wanted, not much harder than standard and a nice little drop. **** me changing them front springs was a pig though!

Are apex springs anygood on the 197. Not seen much about em

I've heard of them mate, think they are firmer than h&r's an eibach. Good for track.

How much firmer are the H&R than standard? Will it he crashy and ruin the ride?

I have them on mine, very crashy on our lovely Roads and if you think cup suspension is too hard then forget the Apex.... On track and through the twisties is a different story though as they are quite simply epic