Tested a Clio 200

richandgem

Platinum Member
After changing Jase's pads at the selfservice centre I thought it might be nice to pop over to Gordon Lamb to test drive a 200. They had in a LY cupped model with Recaro's. I actually parked next to it to try and get a good comparison and I still think the 197 is a "meaner" looking car from the front. Its still a nice looking car though.

I jumped in, and it looks and feels pretty much like a 197, then on with the test drive. First thing I noticed was how much more lower down grunt it had, I even made myself look a bit of a tit as I pulled off;/ Once it revving I dont think there would be any noticeable difference, the car I tested only had 7K on the clock so was barely run in and you could feel how tight it was. I would say that ours was more powerful but I put that down to mileage. All in all though it is definately better for "normal" driving.

Handling wise I dont think there is a big difference between a cupped 197 and a cupped 200. the ride was just as firm, and cornered well, the one thing I did think was better was when you throw it into a corner the front doesn't seem to drop quite as much the bound seems a little firmer, but not a lot.

I did enjoy the car and the little extra bits in the interior make it that little bit better, but would I sell the R27 for one? no. Its just not better enough for me to trade it in. And would I sell the 182 for it? not a chance, the 182 is still more fun than both the 197 and 200 its just such a riot to drive.

200 owners please dont take this as me slagging of your cars, I'm really not. The 200 is flipping great and if I didn't have either the R27 or 182 I would be ordering one. Great car just not worth the trading in either of our current cars :smile:

Last edited:
Only 7k on the clock? Thats more than yours:lol:

Good read mate. I wouldn't sell either. Focus RS for me next!:biggrin:

This was a plan for me, but im not sure :worried:

Mike - XMN that used to be on the old site is waiting delivery of a Focus RS.

^^^ Fair play to him! Ive gone off the new meg big time now, the focus RS is the only car id trade mine in for, amazing cars! And the 200 just isnt an upgrade from the 197 imo, more a side step. Im going off the looks of them as well tbh. 197 just has so much presence!

^^^ Fair play to him! Ive gone off the new meg big time now, the focus RS is the only car id trade mine in for, amazing cars! And the 200 just isnt an upgrade from the 197 imo, more a side step. Im going off the looks of them as well tbh. 197 just has so much presence!

completely agree with ur last sentence the 197 is sooo much nicer, renault did it in the wrong order they should have made the 200 the 197 and the 197 the 200 :lol:

completely agree with ur last sentence the 197 is sooo much nicer, renault did it in the wrong order they should have made the 200 the 197 and the 197 the 200 :lol:

...all they needed to do was tidy up the back end of the 197....a 197 front and a 200 rear would be just right.....I doubt I will stay with a Clio next car, or even Renault. being pulled back to VW!

200 was overhyped if you ask me.. I felt when all the reviews came out, they totally forget how well the 197 handled and driven in the firstplace

good write up :smile:

still not like about 200 is front end, speedo and that stupid rear big exhausts.

197 is better.

Yeah the mirrors do like PROPER gash, why oh why did they change them? I think the 197 ones look so much more modern and suit it. Mind you they ****ed the front up why not go the whole hog lol

Good review there.. was thinking about doing this but i am not sure abouts spending more money on a clio again. Still thinking about the megane for some reason as i now want a car i will leave alone (looks wise)

As aa 200 owner who had the option of either, ( waited) i think the 200 looks meaner from the front and renault have made a much nicer feature of the rear, driving wise its not much different but the 200 is a refined 197, arguably the car the 197 should have been. Very good write up btw dude.

200 was overhyped if you ask me.. I felt when all the reviews came out, they totally forget how well the 197 handled and driven in the firstplace

Aye. No mention in eCOTY of the terrible engine and its lack of torque, despite the fact that the increased torque is much lower down the range so you wouldn't noticed any different when pressing on anyway. Also no mention of the numb steering because of the leccy PAS.

The one thing they praise over and over is the chassis which, when you read the old evo articles on the 197, was never the issue! I don't want to draw any negativity towards the 200 but how the Clio goes from an 'also ran' to doing so well in eCOTY is beyond me.

Great read!

i think when the 197 came out it was recognised as a great car but i also think that everybody was still being swept along by the mini cooper s, just because of its popularity rather than anything else, so the 197 wasn't given the credit it deserved.

the 200 has been released at a time when i cant think of any other hot hatches coming out, there is the 500 abarth (less power), but things like the focus rs, golf gti and scirocco r arent really comparable, they are up against the megane 250. the 200 seems to have the market all to itself, but that isn't saying that it's not a great car.

the 200 styling isn't to my taste but i think the tweaks made to it are, anybody who gets one is going to be really pleased, but im going to wait for the next generation!

The VXR Arctic is one, Fiesta Montune (maybe) Seat Leon FR, New ibiza range, Focus ST (which is a little old now) im not even going there with the Mazda,
but i do see your point, an interesting comment which i havent thought about before.