test drove an edition 30 golf mk5

me and sofaboy went for a test drive of an edition 30 today at a local vw dealers, it was black with all the extras and had 17500 miles and was £15500, was really looking forward to this because i have heard alot about them.

set off on the test drive and notcied how horribal the clutch was, finally got it on a dual carrageway and gave it some welly. i was expecting a roar from the exhaust and to be thrown into my seat and i just wasnt, it was very comfy and very quiet, it hit 100 alot faster than my 200 but didnt feel like it was quicker, really wasnt impressed by this at all.

i know with a re map etc it would be a totally differnt car but as a standard car it just didnt have any wow factor like the 200 did, it didnt push me into my seat and there was literally no noise from the engine even when i took it all the way through the rev range.

safe to say i was not impressed with it at all, felt like i was driving a normal golf.

lynden

Drove a Golf Mk.5 GTI DSG Edition 30 from a friend and had the same experience as lbrench. The car does accelerate really well and at the end of the rev-range there is a small roar from the engine but apart from that it's really dull. It's well made and the ride is far more comfortable than in my R27 and quieter. Can say anything about the clutch cause I drove a DSG = :jase2:. For modding it's a really good base but you have to get a manual tranny cause the DSG has a limit what torque it can still cope with. Stock it's not that amusing or to say rude like the Clio. Imho the ride in a Clio RS really feels quick - maybe quicker then it is :biggrin: been driven in a C350 AMG Merc with 290hp? and the car didn't feel quick either. It was accelerating good although it has long gears but sure didn't feel quick - almost boring tbh :blink:

The only thing that I was driven in (or drove myself) that was even more exciting/entertaining/fun/amusing/some more big words lol was an Evo IX (remaped and pushing around 390hp and over 500Nm :drool:smile:. Judging by the fun factor of a car Renault Sport products really are a marvel (at least the 197 and Meg RS cause I didn't drive any of the older models) 8)

I drove gti pirelli edition with 300hp. That was very quick. Screaming, popping and whossshing:shout::shout:.

never driven an ed30 but i was well impressed with my leons engine in standard form. much quicker than my old 197. its a case of learning to drive it. if your waiting for the booming noise at the top end of the revs you shouldve changed gear 3k ago!! they really do hold their money though

I drove one a while back too, same experience.

They may be quick, but Golfs are just very boring cars as a whole.

As someone has said, the 200 sets you pants on fire out the factory... to get the same effect with a Golf you have to spend money on it...

However if you spend money on the 200 you will get double bubble :wink:

£300 remap and some Eibach's and it's a LOT better!

Agree though, not as much outright fun as the Clio, but if you do a few motorway miles, the Golf is a better all round car!

Mine is running 315bhp from just a map and sees off most things within the same age/price bracket.

Similar Thread Suggestions